GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Well crap.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Took it to guzzi's torque specs instead of just snugging by hand.

Never done this before but I learned a lesson the hard way.
Learned a lesson the hard way

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:36 pm

Did you get the thread out of the head?

Note to others: spark plugs don't need to be torqued up.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear that and hope all turns out well in the end. Thanks for sharing so I don't do the same thing. I've learned a lot in the ghetto.
Back to top Go down
b3177h
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
b3177h

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Yeah don't get me wrong it was completely my fault for not snugging it like I've done many of times before.

But why the hell would they recommend 22 ft lbs (30 min) of torque for the plugs

And why the heck was I dumb enough to not even question that. It's the simple stuff that kills me sometimes

But on a plus note, (I took it out to check my valves) and my clearance was spot on
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Some of the torque values in the service manual are suspect. I always evaluate a torque setting to make sure it fits what your torquing. I have found the ones for things like suspension, brakes, engine-to-frame and wheels to be as expected. 15Nm for a oil filter? Nope. 38Nm for the lambda probe? Yikes!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 am

Screw 'em in until you feel them seat, then nip them down until you feel the crush washer has crushed, no further.

Pete
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:44 am

If the spark plug 'pressing' gave way before the cylinder head threads you could be the right side of a close shave. Looking at my PMR8Bs and your 'core' I'm guessing you now have a threaded cylinder in your plug hole (pardon the pun), and could be the remaining torque isn't that high without the core pressed in. Easy to say from here; but I would guess a 'hammer in' or 'opposite threaded' remover tool would easily fit in the existing hole (no need to drill and push swarf into the head and you could 'just' unscrew it out and put in a new plug with no damage done. Usually the head threads strip and need complicated (head off) rebuild and rethread or drill out and new insert.

Hope it really is just a screw it off job....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Well crap.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well crap.    Well crap.  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Well crap.
Page 1 of 1