GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Bike runs like crap?

Go down 
+2
Steak
Pete Roper
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Bike runs like crap? Empty
PostSubject: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm

So cruising the last few blocks home I was stopped at a red light. Light turns green and halfway through intersection rather than going straight ahead I decided to turn left. l. So I filled her up with gas and proceeded to go home. When I started it up the "Service" came up on the screen and a red triangle lit up on the dash. Well we limped home on what felt like one cylinder . Sure enough it was. Hooked up the Guzzidag and there was one code showing injector issue. one had popped off (right side) its clip so I re-secured it and cleared the faults which cleared the "Service" and red triangle. That was last Thursday.
Back in the garage there was a P0202 fault Injector again but all connections at the throttle bodies were good.
So rather than risk doing any damage and hoping I havent already done some where should I proceed from here?

Last edited by SPEIRMOOR on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:22 pm

While the error code is saying 'Injector' I'd also check the plug boots to make sure they aren't damaged. I can't see how they would be but who knows.

If it is an injector issue take a good close look at the plug and the male part on the injector itself. Look for bent or damaged pins, cracked plastic on the plug etc. if the plastic connector was torn off the cabling to it may be damaged. Also make sure it has 'Clicked' fully home.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Roper on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:30 am

Huge bummer. pale

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Pete for the tips  I'll check those out this evening
Steak-Yea it was unfortunate but it could have been a lot worse so I'm not too upset
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

But it was brand, spanking new for crissakes! I'd be sick.

Sad

(I don't mean to make you feel worse than you do, but ugh.)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Last edited by SPEIRMOOR on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:50 pm

heres pics I took earlier. Does everything look ok? Bike is still stumbling. Checked airbox and butterflies ok. Plugs connectors ok . no faults (new or stored) on Guzzidiag. Bike idles fine but when moving things go bad could it be an issue with the speed sensor?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 pm

How did you remove the plug cap?

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Nothing sticks out. Idles OK but stumbles on the go? Sounds a bit like a spark problem.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Pete
TBH I undid the 4 bolts on the head and lifted it off in one shot. Is that bad? this is what I did on the night of the accident too as it wasn't coming any other way it seemed

beetle wrote:
Nothing sticks out. Idles OK but stumbles on the go? Sounds a bit like a spark problem.
Thats a cheap and easy fix I'll change them. Thanks
Back to top Go down
J1anno
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
J1anno

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:47 am

I encountered similar problem after checking under the valve covers.
I "broke" one of the spark plug wires during the removal, although I was really careful not to.
As it turns out they are indeed really delicate and every time you remove them you risk breaking them.

Visually it was ok, but it did not spark correctly most of the times and bike ran like crap.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:07 am

SPEIRMOOR wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

Pete
TBH I undid the 4 bolts on the head and lifted it off in one shot. Is that bad? this is what I did on the night of the accident too as it wasn't coming any other way it seemed

beetle wrote:
Thats a cheap and easy fix I'll change them. Thanks

Interesting, I've never even considered disconnecting the plug boot by removing it in conjunction with the rocker cover. The right-angled stem on the boot is very delicate, and one must never attempt removal by pulling up on the spark plug wire. If you attempted to remove the boot initially in this manner, you may very well have broken the internal insulator which would result in the symptoms you describe. I'm not certain that removal of the boot along with the rocker cover would result in any damage, but it would be a bitch to remove the covers this way... At any rate, I'm siding with the others here who suspect that you've broken the boot's insulator.

To check, remove the spark plug well cover by removing the little Moto Guzzi badge on the rocker cover with a pick or a tiny screwdriver to expose the hex-keyed bolt that secures the plug cover. Next, start the motor. If the boot is damaged, you will see and hear the spark arcing to the rocker cover. (On second thought, perhaps not as you have the newer rocker cover design which is insulated from grounding.) At any rate, pull the plug wire by wrapping a string around the boot that is in-line with the plug and remove by pulling the string, as gently as possible. Once removed, gently flex the boot at the 90º bend to see if the insulator has been broken.

If the boot seems fine, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

If you suspect that the boot is broken, here is a link demonstrating a good (and inexpensive) replacement option.

Something to think about at least.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:01 am

thanks for all the tips I'll go back and check that after work
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:07 am

Steve, the covers aren't insulated from grounding. That's what that little widget on top of the rocker support held down by the two rocker retainer bolts is. It's the earth tang.

Pete

PS. It's almost certainly the plug cap and the spark is arcing to earth. As Steve says remove the badge and HT lead cover, start the bike, preferably in the dark, and look and listen for the spark *Snapping* to earth around the elbow of the plug cap. Any doubts at all? Just buy a pair of NGK SB05E caps and replace them.

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:35 pm

Either the NGK SB05F or the SB05E will work, but with the SB05E you won't need to unscrew the nipple on the top of the plug.

Just in case you can only find one or the other locally. Either are available from Amazon.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:08 am

All those who said "sparkplug" nailed it. There is no visual indication of a fault but it looks like the PO was in there before either with a repair or taking preventative measures. Any way I took both off and switched sides and left the wire covers off. Now the bike runs like a champ. I guess in their new orientation they are working correctly but theyre getting replaced regardless. I went to Pepboys and Advance Auto in search of the NGK plugcaps but no to no avail so its off to Amazon I go. Why is it when you mention motorcycle at these places they immediately give up helping you? I kinda knew that before I went there but hey the bike was running so well it was easy jaunting around from place to place. Anyway do I need those Iridium plugs mentioned in the link earlier too or will just the caps suffice?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Heres where I left off.It might help anyone  having the same issue on the road they could try switching the leads around and leave the covers off to get them home.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:51 am

First question: What do you mean when you say "switched sides"? Swapped the wires, or the routing?

First answer: You don't need the Iridium plugs at this time, but they are a less expensive alternative to the NGK Platinum long life plugs that were spec'd to the bike.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks Steak I swapped the wires.
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 am

Speirmoor,    Bummer to hear the Tenni hit the deck!! Sad  But glad to hear that you came out on the good side and not too much damage done.

Great news that its only a Ht Lead problem and the rest (even though its a pain) can be easily sorted.

As we say in these parts "Keep her lit and face her for Mount Leinster" Thumbs Up

Guzzi Cat
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 am

Had a good blast on Sunday and bike behaved flawlessly.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:24 am

Is it truly a seemingly persistant issue that the stock caps are so fragile for so many? I have my originals on and still eat up a rear tire under 4500 miles consistently. I have utilized both methods of removal. Cloth around cap, under wire, then straight pull. And through the front with screwdriver leverage trick. 63,000 miles. But then again I have almost never yanked a cord out of the wall to unplug something either....However, there are other things that I have hamfisted on this fine machine elsewhere. Good day gents.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:18 pm

I have my origies as well, but not because they are robust. Care and patience must be taken.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike runs like crap?   Bike runs like crap? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Bike runs like crap?
Page 1 of 1