GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

power points.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

power points. Empty
PostSubject: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 am

Hey up, I am wanting to put some power points on to my Guzzi. Usb socket for my/our phones, 12v socket at handlebars for my Ghost and power point for my garmin. I have read a post whereby there is a direct plug in terminal box that connects to the rear brake light connector which fits in the underseat area. I think it is advertised on the web as suitable for a vstrom. Would this be what I could use? saving splicing into a harness. Or have owners done things alternatively?

Yet to ride it, due in the main to a "Dreek" Scottish summer. Sad

Chris
Back to top Go down
Omnis
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Omnis

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:39 am

I have used this wire harness on my GRiSO.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This guy (A Canadian guy in Japan !!!) builds quality stuff, the connector has three circuits two switched (with a relay) and one unswitched. I use the switched circuits to connect the LED lights as well as the heated jacket. The unswitched is so far unused.

The LED lights come on when the ignition is on and I can then adjust the intensity with the rotary switch. In practice the LED lights are always on when I ride and I don't bugger about with the intensity, I figure that high is good enough and give me plenty of visibility to incoming traffic. The rotary switch has an extra lead that can be connected to high-beam, but I didn't bother, as I said I like the high intensity setting.

The GPS is connected separately to its own wiring provided on the GRiSO.
Hope this helps

Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 am

There should be a small green power plug strapped to the wiring harness on the right side of the steering head. Meant for a Garmin GPS (for the Norge, but shared wiring harness ??).
Note:
- Thin wires, NOT for high power draw
- I had to put a 3A fuse in the unused position in my fusebox
- The plug is proprietary, but you can replace it with a USB outlet.
- Ignition controlled
- Hard to find, and not all Grisos seem to have it !

For higher power needs (trickle charging and wussy heated vest), I ran a fused wire pair straight from the battery. Guzzi are notorious for strange convoluted wiring, serving multiple uses, so I'd keep it simple. And update the wiring diagram in your manual !

The British auto industry invented bad wiring practices, but the Italians perfected them !
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:47 pm

There does not appear to be a power socket for the garmin on my bike but the eastern beaver stuff is interesting. Thanks chaps.
Back to top Go down
MalG
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
MalG

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Eastern Beaver made excellent stuff - I use their lighting relays. For power points, I use Powerlet products - their Termin8 off the battery, a Sport outlet bracket off the pillion footrest, an SAE power plug at the headstock, and the heated liner plug between the bottom of the seat & the top of the side cover. All have been very useful this current trip.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:52 pm

The Grisos that have a GPS plugs are the 8V only (no 1100) and it's for a Tom-Tom, not Garmin.
And like correctly mentioned, it's on the right side of the harness by the headstock...
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:44 am

Aye, mine`s an 08 8valve. Would love to see some photies of this stuff fitted to the GRiSO. My previous experience of leads running everywhere were mixed, we generally, carelessly fried an autocom lead or two or chaffed/trapped a wire and found this bloody annoying on our European tour. Want to get this looking right especially as this is an unfaired bike. Thanks for the input.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

power points. Empty
PostSubject: Re: power points.   power points. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

power points.
Page 1 of 1