GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO Öhlins suspension

Go down 
+11
BobW981
waterbottle
Nobleswood
Street
guzziownr
sidrat
Converted Duc
2highlander
Pete Roper
Baross
Il Griso
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

GRiSO Öhlins suspension Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Today the first day with temps above 0 deg C and the ice and snow start smelting.
Time to get my GRiSO ready for spring in Austria!

Currently, I am thinking about an improvement of the rear suspension to get it more sportive.

I looked to the Öhlsin homepage, but non of their shown suspensions are specified for the GRiSO.
Any clue, which one fits?

Has anybody already upgraded his suspension and can share his/her (by the way, do we also have female GRiSO riders in the ghetto??) experience on that.
Comments appreciated, Ralf
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Ralf. I have an AP 9340 ohlins that came off an aprilia tuono . They won't fit straight on as the shock head is too narrow at the top, and the only forks they have for the lower mount are too wide, so you need to make up some spacers. It is a big improvement over the stock shock, but the standard spring 95 nm is way to soft for GRiSO unless you weigh about 70 kg. I'm about 92 kg and found the 105nm spring ok, still very compliant but still a bit soft when pushed hard, so I've just gone up to a 115 nm spring.      Other shocks to consider are the Matris and the Wilbers, and fit straight in out of the box. Both are available with hydraulic preload adjusters, hi and low speed compression damping etc, so very tune-able. There are others, these are just the ones I know and trust.

Lady GRiSO riders ??? Ghezzi rides a modified guzzi Belagio, does that count Laughing

Ohlins
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wilbers
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank's Ron for the quick respond.
My weight is 95 kg (but I'm working on it).

I have just done ca. 150 km with my new GRiSO, before winter time came.
But my first impression was, if you go hard in the curve, the original Showa suspension is more comfort oriented then for hard curves in the alps.

I can imagine that the Öhlins AP 9340 need some adaption work. My impression is, that the Öhlins TTX 36 could fit better.

The Wilbers seems to be a good alternative.
Did you compare both and what is your fazit?

Rgs, Ralf
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Fazit ? Laughing I have the Ohlins on a GRiSO track bike, The Wilbers on the 2015 GRiSO street bike.
I think the ease of preload adjustment is a winner for highway use.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:31 pm

waterbottle wrote:

Lady GRiSO riders ???    Ghezzi rides a modified guzzi Belagio, does that count  Laughing

That'll cost you more than two kisses on your next sleepover, BIATCH!
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:56 am

Tee Hee, with reference to the Lady riders, and my comment to Ghezzi, is what we Aussie's call " Shit Stirring" All meant in jest Ralf Razz Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah I know, and I ride like an ol' woman, right?

Baros, you could try for a Wilbers adjustable clevis, at least it is the right width.
Back to top Go down
Baross
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Baross

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for that excellent suggestion. I assume it will screw onto the Ohlins shaft. I'll check with one of the local suspension shots and see what they can conjure up.
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:25 am

Looks like the GRiSO could only be restrained by males.
What a shame.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Don't think so. Jaquie, Doug's missus, flogs the piss out of her GRiSO. I'm sure she's not alone.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Thank's Pete my view of the world is back again.
My personal respect to Jaquie!
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Due to my current influenca, I've had plenty of time for googling in the net for rear suspension for my GRiSO 1200 SE.

On the homepage of the German tuner "DÄS" I found the Öhlins TTX 36 for the GRiSO.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not cheap, but Öhlins seems to be worth for a more sportive setup.
Has anybody experience with the Öhlins TTX 36?
Does it fit to the GRiSO w/o modifications?
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Sorry, but the link does'n work properly.

Find below a screenshot.

Any expereince or comments about this part?
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Ralf,

Sent my rearshock to hhracing. They adapt the shock exactly to Your weight. Oil and spring were changed and damping adjusted. Splendid work for about 400 bucks. You almost think to ride a new bike!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Just to throw my two cents in, I upgraded to a Matris. Best money spent on GRiSO so far. Hand made shock that is built to your weight and desired type of riding. Oh and way cheaper than an Ohlins.
When I asked the technician why he preferred Matris over Ohlins, he took me, my new shock and compared it to an Ohlins on a Ducati. The Matris is hand machined the Ohlins cast. There is just no comparison in build quality. I highly recommend that you take a gander at the Matris you won't be disappointed, you might even be surprised at the savings you will make.
Oh and 95 kg you feather weight, I dream of being only 95 kgs. Rolling Eyes

GuzziLooper likes this post

Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:42 am

2highlander wrote:
Hi Ralf,

Sent my rearshock to hhracing. They adapt the shock exactly to Your weight. Oil and spring were changed and damping adjusted. Splendid work for about 400 bucks. You almost think to ride a new bike!

Servus Toni,

you mean the original Showa ones?
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 am

Converted Duc wrote:
Just to throw my two cents in, I upgraded to a Matris. Best money spent on GRiSO so far. Hand made shock that is built to your weight and desired type of riding. Oh and way cheaper than an Ohlins.
When I asked the technician why he preferred Matris over Ohlins, he took me, my new shock and compared it to an Ohlins on a Ducati. The Matris is hand machined the Ohlins cast. There is just no comparison in build quality. I highly recommend that you take a gander at the Matris you won't be disappointed, you might even be surprised at the savings you will make.
Oh and 95 kg you feather weight, I dream of being only 95 kgs. Rolling Eyes

Before Christmas my weight was 90 kg and then a week vacation in Seattle with all the Burgers there...

I lookes to the Matris.
Which one did you get on the GRiSO? Is it the M46R?
The price in EU is the same as for the Öhlins (1.554 € nearly the same in USD)

Did you get it on the GRiSO w/o troubles or modification?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:11 pm

If you get the adjustable bottom link will you be raising the ride height? I am still thinking about buying a new shock without adjustable ride height that is designed for a Stelvio
Back to top Go down
Il Griso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Il Griso

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

As I understood from Öhlins homepage, the Öhlins TTX 36 provides optional a height adjustment, but only to lower the height.
I am used to ride an enduro too with a seat height of 930 mm. Thus, I have some difficulties with the GRiSO with a seat height of 800 mm. I would rather increase the distance then decrease. As the Öhlins doesn't provide this option I will order without this option (if i do so).

Which one are you thinking about for the Stelvio (which enables height adjustment by seat I think)?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:42 pm

I have stolen this picture from another post on this site, it shows the standard Stelvio shock to be slightly longer. I am not so worried about adjustability, although that would be nice but more about increasing the ride height and a stronger spring. I can get a stronger spring to fit the GRiSO shock for about £70, but i could order a Stevlio shock from someone like  Hagon for £299 or Hyperpro for £379. Neither has the adjustability of the Sachs but would solve those two main problems and have a longer stroke as well??

Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Il GRiSO wrote:
2highlander wrote:
Hi Ralf,

Servus Toni,

you mean the original Showa ones?

Jjjjip! Works exzellent!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I did not get the R, I was advised that unless I wanted the large amount of adjustments and intended to race that it was overkill. I got the K and was advised if I wanted the flexibility of remote preload to just add the flex adjuster.

All I can say is that the shock was around 1100 (south pacific pesos) probably 800 Euro I guess, it was set up for my ahem weight and has transformed the bike. By the way I had the front forks revalved at the same time and am over the moon with the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 pm

Oh and the shock bolted straight on no need for any fiddling.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:39 pm

sidrat wrote:
I have stolen this picture from another post on this site, it shows the standard Stelvio shock to be slightly longer. I am not so worried about adjustability, although that would be nice but more about increasing the ride height and a stronger spring. I can get a stronger spring to fit the GRiSO shock for about £70,

Stop! Thief! That's my picture. I am 225 Lbs/102 Kg and the bump stop on my stock shock was destroyed by NYC commuting and weekend joyriding. Initially I put a stronger Ohlins spring on a stock shock but the ride was harsh and still bottomed (spring bound?).

The spring on the Stelvio shock was the perfect weight and the added travel has kept my butt in the seat.

The slight increase in ride height seems to have put a little more weight on the front, something others have accomplished but pulling the fork tubes up a bit in the triple clamps.

Did I mention I got it from Pinwall Cycle for $75 Shocked

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 pm

guzziownr wrote:
sidrat wrote:
I have stolen this picture from another post on this site, it shows the standard Stelvio shock to be slightly longer. I am not so worried about adjustability, although that would be nice but more about increasing the ride height and a stronger spring. I can get a stronger spring to fit the GRiSO shock for about £70,

Stop!  Thief! That's my picture.  I am 225 Lbs/102 Kg and the bump stop on my stock shock was destroyed by NYC commuting and weekend joyriding.  Initially I put a stronger Ohlins spring on a stock shock but the ride was harsh and still bottomed (spring bound?).

The spring on the Stelvio shock was the perfect weight and the added travel has kept my butt in the seat.

The slight increase in ride height seems to have put a little more weight on the front, something others have accomplished but pulling the fork tubes up a bit in the triple clamps.

Did I mention I got it from Pinwall Cycle for $75   Shocked

I can confirm the picture is all yours, theft? i only borrow the best :-)

Interesting to note your stronger ohlins spring made little difference as i can ignore that route!. i think the extra stroke length maybe the answer and i am only 85kg in my riding gear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO Öhlins suspension   GRiSO Öhlins suspension Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO Öhlins suspension
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next