GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Air Filter installation

Go down 
+8
cognosticator
Oz1200Guzzi
Richard
DangWangi
GNORTS
2highlander
Pete Roper
petarzil
12 posters
AuthorMessage
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

Air Filter installation Empty
PostSubject: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:04 pm

I've read about the performance of OEM and Aftermarket air filters, but you won't believe it that supplying with OEM UFI filter is harder than buying BMC or K&N.

Therefore, i bought k&n al-4506, as explained by TLM.NL thats its reccomended for GRiSO.

After i removed the oem filter, i find it hard to install the k&n. Somehow it feels a bit wider, the plastic cover makes can't be used, it just doesn't makes any sense..

Has anyone install it? Can you provide me some tips, or even pictures?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 pm

It will wear your motor quicker, bugger the fueling and it doesn't fit! Send it back and just order the equivalent price in UFI filters that will fit, won't bugger the fueling and protect your engine! You'll get three or four for the price of the rock strainer, enough for 100,000 km probably!

I found one of those horrible things lurking in the Stelvio! It got kicked to the curb the moment I found it!

Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:15 am

Peter, before you send it back, hold it up to the light and you can see straight through it. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:01 am

My old LeMans has 150000 km on the clock and there is no filter at all. It sucks all from flies to little children and still runs like hell. There may be some more wearing but this seems to be hypothetical.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 am

Australia is the hottest driest continent on the planet, as a result we have the finest airborne dust particles as a standard part of our environment.

When the ISDT came to town some years ago, the European teams 4 strokes were having all sorts of Ti valve problems. Aussie bikes were all running dual air filters and stainless valves, no problems.

I was told that unfiltered Le Mans over here need rebuilding every 80,000k.
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Ok, totally different conditions I should have been thinking of. Good to know! And my old LeMans will never see australian deserts Shocked
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Well, i am unable to return the filter, its opened and try to install it. But, i will cut the rubber at the sides to make it fit. I'll use it some time, until the local shop receives BMC or UFI filters..
Back to top Go down
GNORTS
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
GNORTS

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:08 pm

petarzil wrote:
Well, i am unable to return the filter, its opened and try to install it. But, i will cut the rubber at the sides to make it fit. I'll use it some time, until the local shop receives BMC or UFI filters..
Well, that's just booshit, if it doesn't fit, how are you supposed to know that without trying to install it? The vendor doesn't deserve any more of your business, but does deserve a roasting on whatever website will reach his customers. What a prick. If you bought it with a credit card, maybe you can file a complaint with the card issuer and they can just debit the bastard's account and refund your money.
Back to top Go down
petarzil
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
petarzil

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:05 pm

GNORTS wrote:
petarzil wrote:
Well, that's just booshit, if it doesn't fit, how are you supposed to know that without trying to install it?  The vendor doesn't deserve any more of your business, but does deserve a roasting on whatever website will reach his customers.  What a prick.  If you bought it with a credit card, maybe you can file a complaint with the card issuer and they can just debit the bastard's account and refund your money.

In this side of the world, we don't have such a good customer care. They clearly say, if its opened, we don't return or refund. also, it was one in stock for more than a year and noone asked for it, so he gave me 50% off to take it.

Another thing is, i asked for that nodel specificaly, since everywhere is listed as air filter for GRiSO. I have checked tlm.nl , af1, guzzitech and much more...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm

There are probably alternative paper element air filters available but I've never bothered finding out as the original UFI units are so cheap. Unless I'm mistaken the BMC units are another crappy labyrinth filter so I wouldn't bother with them either.

Pete
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Just curious...how often do you all change your air filters? You just inspect them or do you change them on a particular mileage cycle like the fluids?
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 pm

In the GRiSO 1100 manual it is said check and clean every 10000 km and replace at 20000 km.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:09 pm

20,000 km - replace it. Easy.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for reminding me OZ, I just ordered two of them
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:39 pm

GNORTS wrote:
petarzil wrote:
Well, that's just booshit, if it doesn't fit, how are you supposed to know that without trying to install it?  The vendor doesn't deserve any more of your business, but does deserve a roasting on whatever website will reach his customers.  What a prick.  If you bought it with a credit card, maybe you can file a complaint with the card issuer and they can just debit the bastard's account and refund your money.

Agreed! That's Bogus. Great to see you in the Ghetto, I'm still loving your old GRiSO! Has a couple stablemates now, but I love that bike. Hope you are well!
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:29 am

For some sad reason I watch a lot of dyno tuning vids on Youtube and changing the air filter rarely makes any difference to power output. The one exception was the Sprint competition filter on high performance Jap bikes, then only at peak revs.
I use HiFlo filters off ebay, they are cheap as chips and unlike K&N always fit. What's not to like?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 am

I use the bog-ordinary paper filters as recommended by the factory in all of my bikes. They filter shit out very well and cost very little so I don't mind throwing them out when they load up.

The filter in my GRiSO and Stelvio are both identical. They are also larger than the filter of similar construction used in a 125HP Tuono.

Sticking in a rock-strainer 'Labyrinth' filter such as a BMC or K&N produces absolutely ZERO gain of anything apart from noise while also introducing much more particulate dross into the motor.

If you think there are 'Gains' to be made by fitting a rock strainer? Be my guest! Knock yerself out! I personally think the only thing stupider would be after fitting it drilling holes in yer airbox to allow the ingress of even more shite!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken the BMC units are another crappy labyrinth filter so I wouldn't bother with them either.

Pete

Indeed! I had a BMC on my 09 and not only it didn't make an improvement at all, it started to simply disintegrate.
The red soft rubbery stuff frame it's made of came out in chunk...how cute!
Utter garbage, and they run like $70 and higher in the US, versus $18 for the OEM one. I say fukk BMC and the horse they came in on.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:31 pm

On the G and the Phat G the claim of more air is BS, you get more air w/factory filter. If you do a % check w/O2 sensor you'll see the richness difference. All the rubber stuff makes the hole smaller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Filter installation   Air Filter installation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Air Filter installation
Page 1 of 1