GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

WIX Oil-Filter

Go down 
+11
Leone
sideshowbob
ratso88
Bulldog9
Kel
rick pope
eeyore
JohnA
paulbrice
Pete Roper
BigTime
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 am

For my last motoroil-service 2019, i ordered as usual the UFI 23.287.00.

By opening the box, the filter was different - the colour was silver, the height was smaller, my oil filter wrench doesn't fit and the production changed to poland.

There are other oil-filters for the GRiSO on the market like Hiflo, Athena etc., but i found another company called WIX-Filters, USA.

The wix company belongs to Mann-Hummel. The 51348 oil-filter is recommended for the GRiSO and i was really surprised
about the transparency - look at the data-sheet.

I never heard about wix-filters before - does anybody out there have any experience with the company?

Markus
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:01 am

For a number of years the UFI 8 flute filters I've got from TLM have been made in Indonesia! Go figure.

If you have any doubts there are a host of filters that will fit. Hi Flo and Bosch are both reputable brands. Order one for a Cali 14. It has the same crack pressure and mounting spigot/thread. The only thing it has less of is filtering medium and that is obviously sufficient for the 10,000km service interval as it's the filter used on post '14 1200 GRiSO's as well.

To be honest the filters are all changed much too often. The early big blocks with a filter, (Pre MkIV LeMans.) had not only a smaller filter but a smaller delivery spigot. The only one I've ever seen loaded to blockage was on an 850T, (The very last 850T's had a filter but this was not known by many.) that had never had its filter changed because the owner/s didn't know it was there. I rebuilt, and found the filter, at 130,000km! Yes. It was loaded and had gone into bypass. Not surprising really! That's the only blocked one I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:05 am

No experience but reviews say it's good ('special' anti-drainback doesn't really apply for GRiSO) although everyone complaining they need YET ANOTHER special filter tool to actually fit/remove it ! Personally I'd stick with a filter that fits the tool I already have (Hi-Flo every time) on basis all the core brands have enough filtration/by-pass capability.

PS Couldn't find the data-sheet (w/out setting up account) so not sure what you mean by 'transparent' ??
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:50 am

I ended up getting 2 filter wrench types cause they are cheap and I never know what’s going to show up when I order a filter, regarding the number of edges 8 or 14 ......
WIX is a brand I’ve heard of for a long time in the US. Even sponsored some auto racing I think.
I’d be good with using one of their filters as long as I didn’t need yet another wrench.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:06 am

I was trying to remember the really shitty aftermarket filter mob?

FRAM! That's it! Avoid them, they are made of custard and weasel snot!
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am

Just a bit of trivial info:
The later GRiSO / Cali factory filter uses the same socket as modern VW/Audi filters.
My Guzzi dealer thought £22 was a reasonable price for the tool. Halfords (UK based auto accessory supplier not always know for keen pricing) stock the Audi tool @ £7.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:08 am

Wix is good stuff. I've used them for years in farm equipment, trucks, etc. I won't allow a Fram on my equipment.

Bill Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Kel

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am

Not recently, but in the 80's when I was working with BMW car engines, a vehicle would periodically come in on the hook needing a new engine. The local oil quick change place would install Fram or Wix filters and the gaskets would blow due to the high oil pressures relative to the domestics. We fitted Purolator or Bosch filters at the time with no issues.
Has anyone measured their oil pressure?
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:55 pm

When you go on wixfilters.com, give in the number 51348 from the oil filter (filter search), click 51348, you'll get the "Product Specifications" - i named it "data-sheet".

I know the french company Purflux from my car. A man from the technical support in germany told me, it is obvious, that UFI has reduced their costs, less filter media, no paint etc. - Purflux is doing the same. 

Also on youtube: "WIX 51348 new oil filter cut open" (Josh's Garage)
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:16 pm

I ordered a couple WIX filters, had to put a rag between the filter and wrench socket thing and tap it on the filter with a hammer, as the WIX is just a tad narrower than the UFI/HiFlo. WIX/NAPA are generally considered top quality in the states.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I was trying to remember the really shitty aftermarket filter mob?

FRAM! That's it! Avoid them, they are made of custard and weasel snot!

The Base Level Frams are lower than weasel snot and toilet paper with all cardboard construction, but their higher end filters have metal end caps and proper anti drain and pressure valves. I don't use them, but they seem to test better on examination and up to par with the higher end filters.
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Here some specifications from the Wix 51348 Oil-Filter from the website:

Media: Enhanced Cellulose
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow-Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

Gasket Diameters

O.D.: 2.734
I.D.: 2.430
THK.: 0,226

There is also a 51348XP version with synthetic media.

Thanks - maybe i will take off the oil-tub and use my universal-oil-filter wrench.
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Here is the video from youtube:

Bill Dee likes this post

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:03 pm

I've run the 51348 WIX filter since my second oil change. They are available at the local auto parts place for about nine bucks. They seem to do the job. I use a three fingered universal removal tool and the what ever number of flutes cup/wrench to install.

Filters are cheap insurance. And as Pete mentioned probably get changed more often than really required. Clean oil being your best insurance.

In the long gone past, I've run air cooled VW's with not but a coarse screen well over 100K miles with just regular oil changes. Not to mention all the Guzzis and Brit bikes with no real filter, just a sludge trap.

The only real caution I have regarding oil filters is to avoid any metal mesh screen type that are advertised as clean and reuse. They are overly expensive and cannot be meaningfully cleaned all.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:51 pm

+1 Wix, very good!
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 pm

I used to see WIX on occasion when I was a kid in my father's Mercedes garage, they were anecdotally considered lesser quality than the German and Austrian filters, though this means very little. Overall they have a good reputation here, perhaps considered "premium" vs the Chinese stuff with little brand recognition.

Bosch 3330 appears to be a direct cross-reference to the WIX number (made in USA, apparently). Here I'm running Mann W 712, slightly longer than the original, made in Germany.

Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:28 am

Here in germany Mann is one of the best, especially for cars - this is why i come to Wix.
They are both old filter companies.

In the Mann-catalog there is no filter for the GRiSO, but good to hear, that the W712 works.

Nice community here.
Back to top Go down
BigTime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BigTime

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:02 am

Putting a rag beetween the filter wrench (14 corners) and the 51348 WIX filter, like bulldog9 says, it fits and works fine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
BruPo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BruPo

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Road Detritus concerns about the Wix 51348 can largely be addressed by wrapping a 3" steel clamp around it's low hanging fruit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.brettcartwright.com
McCarthy1983
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
McCarthy1983

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 am

eeyore wrote:
Just a bit of trivial info:
The later GRiSO / Cali factory filter uses the same socket as modern VW/Audi filters.
My Guzzi dealer thought £22 was a reasonable price for the tool. Halfords (UK based auto accessory supplier not always know for keen pricing) stock the Audi tool @ £7.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is this the one you refer to? I also was sent the "New" shorter UFI filter, didnt have a filter tool that fits, and didnt fancy spending another £65 on one, so have just tightened with a firm hand. But figire I should probably torque up.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:24 pm

Do not rely on hand tightening unless you had the sump off and could get a good grip on the filter. It will come loose..
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm

Pete, I noticed the Wix website says the GRiSO and Stelvio oil filter 51348 fits all years.

Is that correct in your view?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm

Well whichever one it is supposed to replace it won't fit all models. It may screw on to the mounting spigot and seal against the seat as all CARC bikes with an external filter have identical base dimensions and threadform but 2015 and on Grisos use the one piece Cali 14 sump and filter and this filter is appreciably shorter than the ones used on the earlier bikes and all non GRiSO models that use the two part sump and spacer arrangement.

The filters all use the same medium and have the same bypass mechanism and pressure. The earlier, longer, type just have a much larger filtering area. It's another thing that shows that the suggested 10,000km change interval is very, very conservative. I know from personal examination of filters that they very, very rarely load up enough to go into chronic bypass, even at extremely high mileages so ability to strain shite out of the oil isn't something to worry about.

Having a filter hanging out and swinging in the breeze is more of a concern but really only a slight one. There used to be an aftermarket accessory for earlier bikes known as the 'V' sump. This mounted the filter right at the front poking horizontally at the front wheel! I've never heard of one being punctured. As a rule though I wouldn't mount a 'Long' filter, (One that protrudes below the sump.) simply because it's an added risk that doesn't need to be taken. There are many quality filters that will fit. I'd choose one and just stick with it. I use UFI's simply because when I buy them in bulk, at trade price, they don't cost me any more than any other filter and they are what the factory supplies but Bosch, Hi-Flow, Balwin, and a host of others including Repco all make a well constructed filter that will do the job.

Last edited by Pete Roper on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
siabeid
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
siabeid

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

As I understand it, Wix makes Napa gold filters and they are supposedly the same. I have used Napa gold filters for years on my cars, trucks, tractor and Guzzis. The filter for the GRiSO is the same one as my Toyota Tacoma if I remember corectly, which makes it even more convenient. My local Napa has a twice annual filter sale, and I can get them for around $3.50 or so during that sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WIX Oil-Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIX Oil-Filter   WIX Oil-Filter Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

WIX Oil-Filter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next