GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Got Matris!

Go down 
+8
Scot p
keenerkeen07
pauldaytona
Pete Roper
gronk954
Ralf z
Uzidzit
beetle
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

Got Matris! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Got Matris Very Happy ..........now to fit it and set it up , any suggestions as to ..let me know, the Carc is coming off to do the re greasing as well as the shock linkage..
any baseline setting for the shock would be appreciated scratch
Keener
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Start soft and go harder, (the spring! OK). With damping? See what it's like as is and then play.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm

I left preload as it came shipped. Damping is on 4 clicks for me and I can't remember what rebound is set on. scratch

Not much help, am I?

Oh, adjust the ride height to max.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 pm

thank you I appreciate the info
Keener

The Matris I have is THE MM101.02K with the Hydraulic adjuster

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi Mark, congrats on the Matris. Great shock by all accounts. I can't make out if you've got the -R, the -KE-HYD, or the -KE. Pretty significant spread in price between the 3, at least here in the states. I've wondered if the R is worth the price premium over the KE-HYD and KE. The KE-HYD could be the sweet spot for me, with the hydraulic pre-load adjustment. The R gives you low and high speed compression adjusters, while the other two give you basic compression adjustment. I am left wondering if for street riding all that adjustability could leave me a bit bewildered, though I hear the Matris adjusters are quite effective, with one click giving a noticeable change.

Another option I would consider is the Mupo (AB-1 for the GRiSO), which comes in at about the price of the Matris KE-HYD with similar adjustability and hydraulic preload. There's not a lot out there on the web with respect to the relative merits of the Matris over the Mupo and visa versa- had you considered the Mupo before you went with your Matris?

In any case it would seem they're both excellent shocks (and both companies offer really good fork kits as well, I gather). I imagine that even the least expensive Matris (the KE at around USD 900) would be a significant upgrade over the stock Sachs shock.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ron
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 am

I've never heard of the Mupo til now. I'm not concerned about the lack of hydraulic preload on mine, as I never ride two-up and I rarely carry luggage.

I believe Ghezzi has experience with the Matris R.

I can say one thing about the Matris. You'll realize how 'ordinary' the front suspension is.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 am

If you are a solo rider, hydraulic pre-load adjuster is a waste of time, space, weight and money.
If you buy your shock thru a reputable suspension technician, he will determine the correct spring weight before ordering.

When installed he will set ride height based on static and rider sag, and of course your preference. If at some later stage you feel it needs a little +/- pre-load, it will be a 5 minute adjustment with 2 'C' spanners.

The technician should be able to also set your compression and rebound statically, but be aware, non of these settings are perfect nor should you treat them as set and forget. Each rider has different accessories on their bike, they weigh & sit differently, they have different riding styles and last of all they have different preferences and perceptions.

What I think is fast, could be your (yawn) cruise speed, what I classify as a maximum lean angle at speed, could be less angle than your car park U-turn. Set your bike up for you.

I recommend the 'R' version of Matris with separate Hi-speed and Lo-speed compression damping. Those 2 speeds are not related to bike speed but the speed of shock shaft travel or, piston speed within the shock. Hi-speed is to handle the big hits or the sharp edged bumps, while Lo-speed is better suited to the undulations and more importantly, the gradual sag of your suspension as you tip into a corner and the G-forces or cornering loads gradually increase.

If you ever get to see 2D Telemetry read-outs as used in Moto GP, you will see the differences in the graphs and the rate/speed of travel between straight line bumps, corner sag and even corner bumps. By necessity, spring rate needs to be firm for upright straight line riding if you want it closer to perfection in the corner, all bumps being equal of course.

Reality is, none of us are of GP quality, even a GRiSO leaves a lot to be desired as a full on sports (race) bike is concerned, and last but not least, public roadways are generally of poor quality compared to any race track I've ridden on. Point being, set it up for your perfect ride, the more tools (adjustability) you have, the better the ride.

Ps. I have a combination of about 12,000 settings on my rear shock, I've got it into the ball park and out of the final 10 possible settings, I will soon find the optimum one. jocolor
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:26 am

Good info Ghezzi...for me I ordered the k version Matris lower price and all , for some reason it came with the HPLA ..... It was a $ 200.00 option that I did not want ...but I will take it Cool
I do take on a passenger every once an awhile so I will make use of the speed of the HPLA...
The roads I ride are generally in good shape , but the roads I really like in British Columbia are not so smooth, I really noticed that with the stock suspension, and became pretty good at avoidance or picking lines through the patch ..hopefully now I will be able to ride as you say the perfect ride more often .
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am

The thing with the Showa forks is that they can be very good. I had mine gone through by my local suspension bloke and they are so much better than stock. I can't remember if he re shimmed them but I'm running a lot of spring preload and he's used less and lighter fork oil.

My front end is perfectly OK for me now. I do have a set of Ohlins that I could fit but to be honest, for me, I don't think its worth it apart from willy-waving and I can't really be bothered with that.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:59 am

I'm fine with the stock equipment on my bike, I can't see spending money on the suspension really.
My 09 was fine as well until I reached 25000 miles or so... then I re-did the suspension set up from scratch.
No problem after that.
I weight 165/170lbs so the factory components might be short coming for heavier dudes...
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 am

Grisonut wrote:
I'm fine with the stock equipment on my bike, I can't see spending money on the suspension really.
My 09 was fine as well until I reached 25000 miles or so... then I re-did the suspension set up from scratch.
No problem after that.
I weight 165/170lbs so the factory components might be short coming for heavier dudes...

yes i wish that were the case for me, your weight is where i think the GRiSO was built for....many bikes are set from factory for riders your weight and lighter.
Price point is obviously a concern for Guzzi as well  suspension counts for a good part of cost , a compromise always works well for the bottom line.
I do know that when i spend the money and time on improving suspension components the motorcycle is much better for the ride and that is money well spent.
My Bandit 1200 is done.. Penske and Traxion  the difference from stock is very impressive ..and probably as good or better than bikes known for their handling capacity IMO..

Keener
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Things you do on the back verandah   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:16 pm

Clear furniture. Tie up GRiSO.

Remove one of these and install one M46R

Discover road grit in swing arm roller bearings retainers, suspect one of the seals had been dislodged during assembly,clean & pack with grease, repeat with all other bearings.
Thanks for the advice Pete!

Reassemble back end.

Remove forks and install Matris F12S cartridge kit.(sent these away for the cart installation) refitted forks.

Job done!!
Test ride through Oxley ranges to Walcha (again & again & again, it was Soooo good). Thumbs Up
Store GRiSO and leave  to work for 5 weeks Sad
It's going to be a long hitch!!
Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:58 pm

There's also another solution much less expensive than a new Matris or Mupo shock.
ORAM snc in Italy makes a kit that improves the oem shock. For my breva I paid 200 Euros + shipping  and got an ohlins spring, ohlins revalving shims, new alloy gas/oil separator. For another 80 euros I 've had it installed. Total cost 300 euros and I got 85% performance of an ohlins, huge difference, really.
I am not a fast rider but I feel much more confident with bike now and my back stopped hurting over bumps.
I know they do a kit for GRiSO too...might worth taking a look.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got Matris!   Got Matris! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Got Matris!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2