GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

High pipe finally arived

Go down 
+2
beetle
sideshowbob
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

High pipe finally arived Empty
PostSubject: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Backordered pipe arrived today. Checked the valves, one tight exhaust 2 loose intakes, not by much. Loaded Marks map, db out, couldn't have been easier, thanks Mark. Reset tbs. First thing I noticed was it started instantly, and now sounds like a proper motorcycle. Thanks to Pete also on the valve tech. Raining here now but have a ride coming up tomorrow. Vintage bike fest at the country church. A fund raiser for the church and the ladies make wonderful food and pies. Will send pictures and report on my new hotrod. Thanks again all.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm

That looks great! What pipe is it? Details, please!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm

It's the Mistral carbon Hi-Pipe. It's very popular because it's certainly among the best of the aftermarket pipes. Both Beetle and I run it too, as does Craig Clancy and a few others.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 pm

IMNSHO it's the perfect pipe for 8V GRiSO.

Thumbs Up

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 am

Do you need a different map for it?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:22 am

You don't *Need* a different map but Mark's Hi-Pipe map is about as good as you'll get.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Just got back from about a 150 mile ride. Wow, different bike. No more surging while cruzing through towns in lower gears. Much more responsive throughout the RPM range. Pulls strong from low RPM,s all the way up. The only noticeable vibration it had stock was decelerating, gone now. Another satisfied customer. Will send pictures of the bike fest later, Teresa and I are getting ready to go to a ZZ Top concert.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 pm

A question for those that have tried a stock rollerized GRiSO vs. one with the Mistral hi-pipe, both with the matching beetle map: is there a noticeable performance/power delivery improvement, or is it mostly about appearance, sound and weight savings?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 am

Overall ride ability is so much improved that performance seems better. I am still not quite to 900 miles so not reving past 6500 rpm, but she sure wants to go. The sound alone is worth the price of admission for me. I am running with the DB killer out and am sure with it in and the in map the torque would be more noticeable. May try that at some point.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 am

sideshowbob wrote:
Overall ride ability is so much improved that performance seems better. I am still not quite to 900 miles so not reving  past 6500 rpm, but she sure wants to go. The sound alone is worth the price of admission for me. I am running with the DB killer out and am sure with it in and the in map the torque would be more noticeable. May try that at some point.

Thanks for the info on that, congrats on the improvement! I really like the pipe and I'm considering getting one. One more question please: when you were on the stock pipe, did you have the beetle map installed or are you comparing it to the factory map?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 am

Please remember that these maps are pipe specific and db killer specific. They are open loop and therefore will not trim around a changes. If you are running a map designed for use with a dB killer installed removing the killer will not only impact performance but risks engine damage.

Pete
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am

What I am wondering is the difference in performance or rideability between the following two configurations:

1. Stock pipe, with beetle map for stock pipe
2. Mistral hi-pipe with db killer, with beetle map for that particular configuration

The hi-pipe might be worth it just for the looks and the better sound, and maybe some weight savings as well. But I'm curious if it improves midrange or power delivery in a noticeable way as well.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:51 am

While the stock pipe works very well its biggest disadvantage is its weight. The greatest benefit with the Hi-Pipe is its length and bends which slow down the exhaust gas without restricting it much and hence helping combat the charge transition issues caused by other aspects of the 8V motor.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

There's more low and mid range torque with the Hi-Pipe (with dBk in) than the factory pipe. The NodBk map moves the peak torque further up the rev range and has less peak torque than the dBk map. Each map took many man hours to make, hundreds of kilometres of logging, weeks of testing, and icy stares from Mrs Beetle as I peered at computer screens for hours or spent too much time "with that Italian whore".

The Hi-Pipe maps are the most 'tweaked to perfection' of any map I've made because I run one myself. I was anal to the point of changing one map cell value by a few microseconds of injector time after a logging run.

Are they better than the stock pipe? Fuck yeah.

End.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Ooh, that sounds amazing! Now I totally want one. Thanks Mark!
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Hmmm
hhhmmmmmm

This all sounds awfully promising.

Any chance of a little video so we can hear it?
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Now I've gone an done it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Here's a bad video I just made. Hi-Pipe with dBk.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Not sure if this will work. DB killer out. My phone has a shit microphone.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Wow, that sounds great! Must. Have.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:29 pm

I ordered it!! Surprised
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 am

What?
Whaaatttt!!?

Can't hear ya!
Valves too loud!
Back to top Go down
rustyrotor
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
rustyrotor

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 am

The hi-pipe precludes any kind of side bag right?
I see they offer titanium, carbon, whatever.
There a good reason to choose one over the other?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 am

No, it doesn't preclude the use of bags, you just have to be a bit more inventive about fitting them. Both I and Clancy have bags, he has the C-Bows and I have the factory bags. Can't remember what changes he had to make but with mine I had to modify the forward mounting strut on the LH side rack, that's all.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High pipe finally arived   High pipe finally arived Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

High pipe finally arived
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next