GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

DIY Tool tube

Go down 
+9
EricS
paulbrice
sidrat
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Street
Bill Hagan
bioman
guzziownr
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Is it big enough for a bottle of Knob Creek?
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:40 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Ha!  Nah, cuz it's square.   Razz

But will look at other options (of bourbon!).  Many grappa bottle will be fine. cheers

BTW, got some interesting feedback on ADVRider on similar post.

"RedHawk47," in particular, mentioned using "tractor manual tubes."

I ended up ordering some.  Still like Guzziownr's more elegant faux CF for the GRiSO, but the tractor tubes are astonishingly inexpensive and the more industrial look is fine for the Stornello.  See Tractor Manual Tubes

More here is you care:   ADVRider Post on Subject

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Bill, they look the duck's nuts - easier to mount also...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Bill,

I like that test plug fitting, makes it look dangerous. Do you have a band saw in your shop? You'll have an easier time of getting a square cut with that and a miter gauge. Chop saw works well too if it has enough capacity.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 am

Finished and mounted the one for the GRiSO.  Used -- at least for now -- cable ties.

Added an Italian Air Force roundel on the end.   cheers

The tube snugs up nicely to the C-Bow rack and leaves enough clearance to mount the side bags.

Now, can take day trips with it for gadgets and only the small Givi tankbag for things the "Yes, Officer"  might need.   Rolling Eyes  Wink

Thanks to the OP, guzziownr, for the idea.

Bill
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 am

That's looking good Bill, nice job. I would leave the ends black rather than Italian flagged but either way it looks like an OEM aftermarket item !
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Thumbs Up

I wish I could do this as its functional and looks great, but here they would steal my tools Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm

paulbrice wrote:
That's looking good Bill, nice job. I would leave the ends black rather than Italian flagged but either way it looks like an OEM aftermarket item !

Thanks, Paul.  That's high praise to a guy who flunked 7th grade shop when I could not even cobble together a wooden shadow box.  I am very serious.  Sad  

As for the roundel, I have tacky tastes.   Very Happy

Seriously, I thought the roundel a bit of a nod to Carlo Guzzi, Giovanni Ravelli and Giorgio Parodi, who met each other while in the Italian Air Force in WWI.  But, it may come off anyway, as that end piece is concave and rubber, thus it resists the roundel.  Oh, well; at least I have a pic.

motor-timothy wrote:
Thumbs Up

I wish I could do this as its functional and looks great, but here they would steal my tools Crying or Very sad

Understand, but perhaps, along with your tools, you include a pet Vipera berus, which I understand lives in the Netherlands …

Actually, Moto-T, I only call it a “tool tube,” but as Pete notes …

Pete Roper wrote:

… it’s perfect for this:

On the merits, a fellow on ADVRider questioned use of cable ties, suggesting they would fail.  Tony mused about that at the top of this thread, too.  Maybe.  But I’m going that route for awhile.  That said, Tony’s mention of velcro straps may be how how I do this on the Stornello, which remains a challenge.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Two big thumbs up on the roundel! Bellissimo!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Looks great. Faux carbon wrap for the win!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm

I like it! Nice job, Bill. Tractor manual tubes look intriguing too... (Steak, do they sell those at North-40?)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Street wrote:
I like it! Nice job, Bill. Tractor manual tubes look intriguing too... (Steak, do they sell those at North-40?)

I do not intend to use mine.  I got a 3" and 2".  

Tractor Tubes

Happy to send both to you gratis.  Payback for the Seattle welcome tour.  Very Happy

Seriously, let me know if you want 'em.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

DIY Tool tube
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2