GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

DIY Tool tube

Go down 
+9
EricS
paulbrice
sidrat
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Street
Bill Hagan
bioman
guzziownr
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Revzilla sells one but mine has faux carbon fiber!  Start with 12" of PVC pipe...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Looks good!! From what material did you make the ends?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 am

Standard rubber caps that fit the 3 inch PVC. They came with hose clamps but fit pretty tightly. Big hardware stores will have them.

I will make some hard mounts to finalize the project now that I see how it looks and fits.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 am

Super.

Likely to do that for Stornello -- where cargo of any kind is a challenge -- even before GRiSO.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:37 pm

No clearance issues? Would love to see a picture from the back.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Street wrote:
No clearance issues? Would love to see a picture from the back.

Good point.

guzziownr wrote:
Standard rubber caps that fit the 3 inch PVC.  They came with hose clamps but fit pretty tightly.  Big hardware stores will have them.

I will make some hard mounts to finalize the project now that I see how it looks and fits.

That confuses me.  In my world, cable ties ARE hard mounts.  cheers

Seriously, those look pretty good and work.  Why bother with a "fancier" approach?  

That seems especially true for my Stornello, which is supposed to have a bit of an industrial look, so cable ties and rattle-can black will do nicely vice hard mounts and CF.  OTOH, maybe our Grisos deserve something a bit more upscale.

Really a nice piece of work.  I'll be at HD this evening to pick up a 3x12 tube for the GRiSO and, after I check measurements on the Stornello, something for it, too.  Oh, and -- while hose clamps have some appeal  Wink -- more cable ties, too.  Very Happy  

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Bill, remember that cable ties are very susceptible to UV damage - they look fine until the day they let go! I hate losing tools, especially ones I have paid good money for. Some I have had since 1972 and are still in good working order.

Just Saying...

However, I have some holding on some 1" electrical conduit on the inside of my C-Bow racks. These are to strap my camp chair (on one side) and my bed (t'other side) to, so the weight is inboard and lower. Works a treat. If the cable ties breaks, the conduit will not fall of, if the load is attached. If they fall off while unloaded, I'll just have to make some more. Orange conduit is better because it is more UV resistant.

Velcro straps could also be quite effective, he says as he muses the possibilities...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Black cable ties are UV resistant. White and coloured ones are not.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 am

It looks great.

i dont suffer from OCD, but shouldn't it be at the same angle as the exhaust and bodywork Razz
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 am

Bill, Check the Hot Rod Shops in Winchester for Faux Carbon wrap.  Much easier than spray paint.  

Bags clear, no problem.  If the rear suspension compresses enough to touch
I will have bigger worries than scraping my tool tube.  

I would prefer it if the tube was aligned with the exhaust and bodywork so that is a future goal.  Right now I am commuting with it empty and thinking about what I will put in along with the stock toolkit.

Now aligned with bodywork, it does look better!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Just needs a "faux" exhaust outlet on it (at the rear of course) to really confuse the punters - what, a twin with three exhausts?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm thinking that the std exhaust is so big you could just convert the end to removable & stick your tools, tent, tyre pump and luggage for a weeks trip....if anything it would likely be quieter than stock setup; and probably wouldn't even affect the BACK PRESSURE (sic) Very Happy ....and Mark's probably already got a map for it !
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Trying to think of a witty retort. Nup, got nothing.

Rolling Eyes

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Just needs a "faux" exhaust outlet on it (at the rear of course) to really confuse the punters - what, a twin with three exhausts?

Perfect! cheers

I may, however, do the tricolore thing on mine.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Do, Bill!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 pm

This is more in Street's line than mine:

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Das is it!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Thumbs Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I opened up the big end of my stock muffler with the intent of storing tools as suggested in this thread. Then I considered the heat and dimensions and decided to go with a slow-cooker instead. About perfect for quail and small Cornish hens...
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Nice smoke on that little bird!

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:28 am

Don't forget to adjust the CO trim for crispy skin cooking Wink
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Well done!
Back to top Go down
MrGPz
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrGPz

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Room for spuds??
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Reviving this thread because I finally got around to starting on this project.

Am (typically) undecided -- sounds much nicer than "wishy-washy"  Rolling Eyes -- about which side to mount the tube.  Am inclined to mount on right, opposite of the can, yet retaining the asymmetrical look as it's a two and one view from the rear.

Anyway, here, below, are some pix of things so far.  Have faux CF on order.  Went with near invisible plug to be glued on forward end, and am inclined to go with that same rear plug that guzziowner used, i.e., a Fernco Inc. PQC-103 3-Inch Qwik Cap; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  For the GRiSO, at least with probably an Italian Air Force roundel on it, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] also inbound from Manaus.  

On the Stornello -- also some pix, below -- think I'll use what I bought today, i.e, this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  I kinda like the industrial look on the Stornello, and that "Stand Back from Jet Blast" (or something  Wink ) is cool.

Anyway, happy to have your thoughts on any aspect of this, especially placement, angle, and attachment.  Cable ties may work -- those in pix are just temp for experimenting with mounting -- but open to any suggestions.  

I am also a klutz at sawing the PVC.  Used a new hacksaw blade and had pipe in vise, but made a sorry crooked cut.  The CF and end plugs may hide my sins, but what saw (or technique) should I be using?

Grazie mille!

Bill

GRiSO -

Stornello -

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Nice, Bill. You could do one each side...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DIY Tool tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY Tool tube   DIY Tool tube Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

DIY Tool tube
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next