GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Moto Guzzi Scura?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi all!
So I'm still new to the MG family and doing my best to learn all about the different models, years, successes and failures of the MG family, but came across this little beastie (2002 V11 Scura Sport) and thought I'd pick your brains. I found one for sale in Las Vegas, NV (2002) with 10,750 mi going for $4,995 usd (17,300km/6,595.96AUD) and was curious if folks here had any thoughts, good or bad on this bike/model/year?  It's selling for a price where with one more glass of bourbon it would sound good, but that's without knowing much about these bikes.  Should I avoid it like the plague and put it out of my mind, or toy with the idea of giving my GRiSO some company in the garage? Thanks for any advice and/or feedback.

Link to Scura
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:12 pm

They had a reputation for grenading the clutch. The original was a single plate model, a lot of owners went back to the twin plate version.

They were also the first of the V11 series with Ohlins suspension.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm

The Ohlins were dangerously undersprung, that will need addressing if it hasn't been already. You also need to junk the single plate clutch and flywheel as they are shatter prone.

I had one and addressed those issues and it was a monster but it had had a heap of engine work done by Mike Rich, Chuck Stottlemeyer owns it now. I wish it was still mine Sad

Pete
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 am

Look up V11LeMans.com there are quite a few Scura owners on that site. But the opinions here pretty much cover the issues
Back to top Go down
GreggF
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GreggF

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I owned one for 4 years - the model had the reputation as a bike which had the curse on it. 4 years of pumping money into it proved that correct ! Spent 10 times more on it than my V11 Greenie and ride it far less. Go in with your eyes wide open if the bike is still an option.
Back to top Go down
DangWangi
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
DangWangi

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. I think at this point I'll refrain from moving forward with the purchase and put that money towards goodies for the GRiSO instead. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moto Guzzi Scura? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moto Guzzi Scura?   Moto Guzzi Scura? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Moto Guzzi Scura?
Page 1 of 1