GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag

Go down 
+5
2highlander
Oz1200Guzzi
pauldaytona
beetle
Crazy88
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Empty
PostSubject: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 am

Hi all!

I'm trying to get my laptop & ECU to talk to each other and I'm not having much luck!

I'm using the Lonelec cables, powered and plugged in, I think I've tried using both the drivers on Beetles post and the ones that Windows (7) upload automatically.

Oddly enough, Guzzidiag works, I get real-time info but the ECU symbol doesn't appear on the dash. The problem is that I need the readers/writer to work so that I can download Beetles map.

In the programs I only get the option for one COM port (COM3) so can't try different ones. When I press read the folder comes up blank, the box below that is greyed out.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

John
2010 rollerised GRiSO
Rollerised
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm

ECU symbol only appears when reading and writing.

Where is the Reader program located?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks for your reply! The reader is in a folder in the desktop
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 pm

In Guzzidiag you also have same com port? It's not that you have Guzzidiag running while you try to use the reader?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm

I do, both read COM3 and don't offer up any other options, I've not been running them both at the same time
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Move the Reader to My Documents, or create a dedicated GuzziDiag folder.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Cool, will try that tomorrow
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:20 pm

It just looks like Guzzidiag doesn't have rights there. You can also make a c:\guzzidiag folder and put reader and writer there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Also make sure you have the right reader/writer for the ECU you are connecting to. Don't ask how I learnt this ( Embarassed ).
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:19 am

You may not run guzzidiag and Reader or Writer at the same time. You also have to switch a timing setting in the driver.

Last but not least, don't forget to disable Windows Update, otherwise Windows will download a new onboard driver and overwrite the dedicated one with it.
Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 am

Ok. Thanks for the info above, I think I've tried it all and am still not getting any joy... I'm getting a bit desperate, I was already coming from a really unhappy place with the bike and, to be brutally honest, this was the last thing I was going to try before putting it up for sale - I love the way it looks, and the way it rides when you get it on the right roads, but for me that's only happening about 10% of the time... I need it to be a more manageable commuter.

I think I've followed Beetles tutorial to the letter.
I'm running Windows 7,
I have the Lonelec cables,
I've checked that both Guzzidiag & IAW writer are the versions on the tutorial
They're both in a folder, in C:program files (I've also tried iin documents, and on the desktop)
I've disabled windows update
I've disable the antivirus and no programs are running in the background
When installing the drivers, I've manually selected the folder with the drivers on the tutorial

Guzzidiag connects, and works in real time. The IAW reader doesn't seem to recognise anything, I press the search button and it seems to open a 'save as' folder in the same folder as the reader/writer. I never get any initialisation messages, or any messages on the dash. I only ever get the option for COM port 3 so can't mess about with that.

If anyone can help troubleshoot this mess I'd be really grateful.

Last edited by Crazy88 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:43 am

I don't know if this is any use to anyone in the know, but my no1 suspect is the drivers, I had to wrestle control from windows update, are these the right ones?
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 am

You may not use the w7 drivers but the dedicated ones from the GuzziDiag website. Uninstall the w7 FDTI driver and let a registry cleaner remove any information of the deleted driver.

Turn off automatic updates after having installed the new dedicated GuzziDiag driver, otherwise w7 will fetch it's own driver again within the next update and overwrite the one which belongs to GuzziDiag.

On the Diag website You will find several versions of the drivers, let me have a look this evening which one I'm using.

What You can do meanwhile is go to device manager, click on the FDTI driver's properties and check out what comport it uses. It's the same You have to choose in the GuzziDiag apps. As far as I remember there is also an option to determine how long the driver waits for an answer of the connected device.

More information this evening.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 am

Since the Guzzidiag communicates fine, maybe the problem is not at the com drivers...

Just to be clear...
- you're using GuzziDiag V0.47
- you're trying to backup the existing ECU map by IAW5xReader V0.28...
- ...to then load the new map by IAW5xWriter V0.24?

(the software versions mentioned in the linked tutorial are those that are current atm, the versions mentioned in the forum post are older)
Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 am

Thanks for your replies,

So far as I can tell, I've switched off windows update both for finding drivers and in general... it did download a driver when I first bought the kit but I thought that I'd got rid of it, it would be useful to know exactly what the right driver looks like...

I am using Guzzidiag V0.47 but the version of IAW5x reader I have is V0.26, that was the one in the link, I'll have a look to see if there's a later one
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:47 am

Crazy88 wrote:
it seems to open a 'save as' folder in the same folder as the reader/writer.

At this point, you're supposed to type in the "file name" field, a name for the backup file that will be created and click "save". Don't be confused by the picture in the tutorial, it probably auto-completes the last used file name.

Have you tried to type a name? The "save" button gets active?
Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 am

Oh good god, I am such a lemon. I assumed that when you pressed read it would automatically populate the save file, so sat there waiting for some big jumble of numbers & letters.bin to appear...

I typed 'stock map' into the pop-up and everything sprung into life... not quite finished installing Beetles map (that seemed to go ok, but I flattened my battery with all the messing around this morning) I'll let you know how the bikes doing, despite me, as soon as it starts...

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am

Haha, You do not want to know what have been fiddling around. But once got used to it it's pure fun and very enlightening. Great peace of software.
Back to top Go down
avgpetro
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
avgpetro

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 am

Crazy88 wrote:
flattened my battery with all the messing around

Risky-risky-risky

ECU shuting down during memory write... not good - not sure if it mutters when reading.

The safe thing would be to have a battery charger on the battery during the write process
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 am

It won't hurt anything if it shuts off while reading.You can't brick your ECU with GuzziDiag. I tried very early on, when GuzziDiag was new. I tried disconnecting the cable, switching the ignition off, and killing the writer during a map write. Each time it recovered. GuzziDiag doesn't overwrite the base code, only the map.

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Crazy88
Carlotto
Carlotto
Crazy88

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am

Quite how much the battery drained did catch me out a bit, but was only enough to knock the cranking amps off... Currently sat on a optimiser with (hopefully) your map ready to go...

...It left me with no excuses for not checking the valve clearances; looking forward to tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 am

I must agree with Mark Guzzidiag is very ecu friendly and I've also thrown some abuse at it over the years. I still have the Optimate plugged in when using it but that's just a belt and braces thing.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm

If I had a lead acid battery I too would have a charger on it, especially if it's more than 2 years old. The Lithium I have just "keeps on keeping on" (another obscure reference for us Aussies Austrians)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Don't let anyone tell you firing up Guzzidiag for the first time is easy.

Lots of stuff is easy if you are familiar with it.

I have been trying to get it installed on an older Mac (.pre-Aluminum)
I had to use an older driver for the cables, Guzzidiag is now working but the Read & Write software is not quite there yet.

i don't see the point in having an ultra modern laptop though it's probably more plug & play and less plug & pray.

Going to the German site von - der - salierburg . de it lists several other files besides IAW15xReader, IAW5xReader, IAWMiUG3Reader
It seems to have a couple of earlier versions of Reader and Writer

I cannot get the latest Reader to work on my older Mac, I may see what these earlier versions do
Back to top Go down
Petrel
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Petrel

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 11:22 am

Hi everybody

I'm Francesco an italian living in France. I'm used to go on Animaguzzista, but for the present problem someone suggested me to ask here. I saw several posts but any reports the problem I have with IAW5x writer (well I can have missed some).

I'm getting troubles in uploading a map in my GRiSO 8V 2008. I downloaded the current map, then following one of pauldaytona's videos I disconected the lambda saving the new map with a different name. Then I started to upload it but after erased the old map (I guess) and started to upload the .bin file IAW5x writer stopped and said that something went wrong. I tryed several times, also trying to upload the original map but at different size of uploading (from almost the beginning up to more that 100000) the writer says "something went wrong tray again". Obviously I guess that now the GRiSO has no map and in fact I have a red triangle when I turn on ignition.

It is not a connectionproblem as the writers connects well

Does someone know how to figure out this?

I tryed 3 different laptops with Windows 10
I tryed both with the GRiSO's battery is plugged in a modern electronic charger and unplugged
I tryed different USB ports

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag    Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Communication issues with IAW/Guzzidiag
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next