GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?

Go down 
+10
sideshowbob
Oz1200Guzzi
zebraranger
mark111
EricS
davem
waterbottle
nblades
Pete Roper
supercoyote
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyone know anything about this? I've always been curious about who turned their G1100 into an adventure bike

Last edited by supercoyote on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Why in the name of all that's holy would you bother? Even if the Stelvio, (Or Quota if you're a masochist!) weren't available a GRiSO makes a shitty dirt road bike, never mind *Adventure* bike. The small tank alone renders it daft! The stiff, short travel suspension and riding position are simply the icing on the cake!

Pete
Back to top Go down
nblades
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
nblades

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Probably not the best for adventure bike, but it still looks cool with the knobby tires. I'd rather keep mine the way it is and buy a older adventure bike, or wait a Stelvio to come up for grabs at a good price.
Have a good weekend, thanks for sharing the photo.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm

I want the drugs this guys on Laughing
Whatever, if that’s what floats their boat , so be it.
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 am

Perhaps he lives down a dirt track. On some of the Roman built back roads I ride on a decent set of knobblies wouldn't go a miss.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 am

davem wrote:
Perhaps he lives down a dirt track. On some of the Roman built back roads I ride on a decent set of knobblies wouldn't go a miss.

Yours is the only feasible/reasonable explanation for running those tires on a GRiSO. Given the other cosmetics present on the bike I tend to agree with the others concerning the owner's mental state.
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Sorry I think it looks shit, even the dirt road theory doesn't hold water.
There are 20 bikes better suited to that use which are also good on the bitumen, those proxy tyres would severely compromise any bitumen road performance.
Back to top Go down
zebraranger
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
zebraranger

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 pm

A perfectly ruined GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:06 pm

However, I have been on some pretty ratty dirt/sand/clay/mud/rock roads on my Sport - using PR4s to boot. It's not the tyre that makes the dirt OK, it's ability and attitude, and knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em!

Stopping and turning around is another matter, though. Black Betty is HEAVY, but does have nice wide bars and I can stand on the pegs, move weight where needed and ride up a gear than I would normally - call it a desperate way to survival (I hate falling off).

Still, bastardising a GRiSO is not quite kosher!

Then again, if a stat write-off, you could do what you want...
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 am

If nothing else the guy has put the wind up a few skirts around here, and that was probably part of his motivation in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:35 am

I doubt it Dave. It's not about a bit of a laugh, it's about being a fucking try-hard and making some sort of *Statement*.

Sticking knobbies on a GRiSO is fucking stupid, full stop. But, like so many of the shitty *Specials* and *Cafe* bikes that get promenaded on the interwebs it's an unimaginative and shallow example of something that actually requires no knowledge, skill or understanding but will make the owner feel like a god when other people as limited as them coo and sweet on in admiration.

It is a stunning example of why western society is on the road to ruin. I hate it and it's inexcusable! How much talent does it take to buy and fit the wrong tyre's to a motorbike?

Arse!
Back to top Go down
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:19 am

To counter your point Pete,

The lack of any "write-ups", or bikexif posts, or forum threads about how genius this guy is seems to indicate he isn't sailing in anyone elses wake. While I despise the "put knobbies on it, hack off the fender and put pods and call it an dirt bike bike" motif that everyone seems to ascribe buy (to which I respond "just buy a dirtbike and have 5x as much fun"), I haven't seen a similar GRiSO, and especially an 1100, done up the same.

And in defence of the knobby tires, the GRiSO makes a good gravel tourer, of which we have endless gravel roads in Alberta to take it on. Despite having a single cylinder bike that's orange and made in Australia to scratch that itch, nothing mimics the exact feel of riding the GRiSO. And if a guy can ride it in a few more places in the country and doesn't care about getting your knee down with the boys from the local crotch rocket club when he comes back to town?

Note:I would never put TKC80's on my GRiSO. But I like that there are nutjobs out there doing it for no one but themselves

Edit- my KTM was made in Australia, right between Germany and Italy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I've done a heap of dirt road riding on my GRiSO. It's been places GS riders baulk at, (Really, but they were really pathetic Canberra GS riders!) but I've never felt the need to put stupid tyre's on it. Now I have the Stelvio the GRiSO will never be asked to do it again for the simple reason virtually any motorbike except a full dress Harley or a blinged up 'Wing will do it easier!

There are many people who have ridden all sorts of roads and all sorts of places on unsuitable machines but that is usually down to the fact that there were no alternatives available. Sorry, that bike, (And some others, including at least one that is/was owned by a bloke on the Ghetto.) are just a pretentious affectation coupled with a woeful lack of imagination. Not saying it shouldn't be done if that's what anyone wants. Just that it's stupid and won't get coos of amazement or slavish adulation from me because I think it's shit!

Pete
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:27 pm

They are out there. When I was working at the dealership we had a guy buy a brand new 1975 Goldwing, stripped off all the lights, put a knobby on it and took it hill climbing. We were pretty sure his parents were brother and sister.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:29 pm

In the grand scheme of things, going off road should be similar to fun...
Anything as heavy as a GRiSO, isn't synonym to fun in dirt and gravel roads sorry. Don't give a crap how much skills you got either.
Why do I say that? Because I did 12 miles, yes 12 fucking miles!! off road with my 09 GRiSO and I was pissed to no end.
Why did I do it? Because I got tricked into it from a buddy (he's on a GSA) telling me it would be a "couple" of miles only and it was a short cut to get to some twisty roads...
The twisty roads were actually there in the end but 12 miles fighting to keep a heavy bike up right at an astonishing speed of 15mph to get to it wasn't even close to being fun!
So altering a GRiSO by putting knobbies on it and calling it a dirt bike is the direct result from a deranged douche bag that hopefully will never reproduce.
I'm in full agreement with Pete on this one, I just don't master zee English slang like he does. lol
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Pascal, the secret to riding well on dirt is to go fast! Go slow, and you react to everything on the ground - go fast and the weight of the bike enables you to keep going in the direction you want and not where the surface throws you.

On the dirt your bike will move around and this can be fun or a terror, depending on your mindset. Horrible thing to do to a GRiSO, but as Pete says, the GRiSO, and the Sport, are an adept mount off the bitumen, if you need to, or want to.

Some years ago, I was on a ride down the coast when I was overtaken by a guy on a Breva 750, on the bitumen. We were not exactly going slow, but I let him go anyway. Once we hit the 12 miles of dirt, he resorted to riding at very low speed, cursing, and very unhappy, and hanging on like his life depended on it - I just cruised around him, sliding the arse of the Sport in the dirt, laughing my head off, at the fun and him. Don't get me wrong, I am not a good rider, but I am not afraid to have a bike move around under me, and I am good mates with the bloke in question.

I always have fun in the dirt, even on a very heavy Sport.

Different Strokes for Different Blokes...
Back to top Go down
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 am

I'm with you Tony. Horses for courses and all that, but I have a 20 mile ride in to my buddies cabin of windy, deep gravel road. That part of the ride just a peach on the GRiSO for me. The long wheelbase just seems to step out so gradually and predictably on corners, then settle back in without a fuss, as long as you've got some speed going.
Back to top Go down
Broken Spoke
Carlotto
Carlotto
Broken Spoke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:49 pm

sideshowbob wrote:
They are out there. When I was working at the dealership we had a guy buy a brand new 1975 Goldwing, stripped off all the lights, put a knobby on it and took it hill climbing. We were pretty sure his parents were brother and sister.
Now that right there is some funny. I almost peed!
Thanks for the giggle.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Pascal, the secret to riding well on dirt is to go fast! Go slow, and you react to everything on the ground - go fast and the weight of the bike enables you to keep going in the direction you want and not where the surface throws you.

On the dirt your bike will move around and this can be fun or a terror, depending on your mindset. Horrible thing to do to a GRiSO, but as Pete says, the GRiSO, and the Sport, are an adept mount off the bitumen, if you need to, or want to.

Some years ago, I was on a ride down the coast when I was overtaken by a guy on a Breva 750, on the bitumen. We were not exactly going slow, but I let him go anyway. Once we hit the 12 miles of dirt, he resorted to riding at very low speed, cursing, and very unhappy, and hanging on like his life depended on it - I just cruised around him, sliding the arse of the Sport in the dirt, laughing my head off, at the fun and him. Don't get me wrong, I am not a good rider, but I am not afraid to have a bike move around under me, and I am good mates with the bloke in question.

I always have fun in the dirt, even on a very heavy Sport.

Different Strokes for Different Blokes...

I do have some knowledge of riding in the dirt as it is how I learned to ride really and I loved it...but it was on a 125cc! lol Then I upgraded to a 390 Husky but it was a lot of bike for my skills, those big two strokes were madness.
And I agree with you Tony, you have to give it the berries in order to keep control of the bike. Anything passive won't do...
My experience with the GRiSO wasn't on dirt (I wish) or gravel even, but I was on a narrow trail with rocks and stones (baseball size), deep holes with constant ups and down, scortchy tight turns, tree limbs almost blocking the way at times...yeah, that kind of crap. And I rarely was in 2nd gear the whole time! I even had to stand up on the pegs a couple of times, I was getting beat up. The suspension sure had a work out with the front fork bottoming out a few times. lol
This was more like a slow enduro than anything else. I was also afraid to mess up the bike and puncture a tire... a dirt road would have been peachy that day, believe me!
I still believe that going off road on a GRiSO is moronic, even if you alter the bike for it.
Hey, let's do that with a Busa! Tupperware and all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:35 pm

Why are we still talkin' about this?
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Cause FB sucks.
Back to top Go down
supercoyote
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
supercoyote

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 am

Grisonut wrote:

I still believe that going off road on a GRiSO is moronic, even if you alter the bike for it.

Hey guys, i've got a Panigale and want to put knobbies on it? Who else thinks this is a great idea??
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 pm

supercoyote wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

Hey guys, i've got a Panigale and want to put knobbies on it? Who else thinks this is a great idea??

Complete with "spray on dirt". Simply awesome!

NOT
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm

supercoyote wrote:

Knock yourself out!
Do a few jumps though, and tell us about the landings. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Stupido!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?   Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone know anything about this Rally GRiSO?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next