GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Installing LED headlight unit

Go down 
+15
janguzzi
Youknowthebo
Nobleswood
OldMojo
Richard
GuZeee
Florida lime
sidrat
FreshEgg
sideshowbob
paulbrice
Bill Hagan
EricS
beetle
ITSecurity
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

Installing LED headlight unit Empty
PostSubject: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 pm

I've received the headlight conversion unit I mentioned in my intro post, and I've checked that it has enough depth available in the shell. There's one snag, and one fairly predictable question.

The snag is that the headlight bezel has a couple of mounting tabs top and bottom to match the stock reflectors left-right axis mount. The replacement I have in hand has no such mounts, since it was never officially intended for a motorcycle headlamp (horrors!). Before I try to cobble something up, I thought best to ask the collective wisdom how this may have been handled in the past. I don't have a driving desire to use a different headlight shell (as I understand Yodasoldier or others may have done), but if I have to I will.

The predictable question, of course, is the related one of what the best way might be to make the headlight bezel black. The headlight replacement unit is all black, the shell is black, so the bezel ring is the odd man out. The Tenni Green of the bike is set off so nicely by the black frame and components, and I am of that faith that believes chrome is the work of He Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken Evil or Very Mad I can do the whole sanding - etching - painting routine, but is someone has a better idea, or even a handy hint, I'd welcome it.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Why even use the shell? I attached mine directly to the headlight bracket with some M8 stud nuts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 pm

beetle wrote:

Why even use the shell? I attached mine directly to the headlight bracket with some M8 stud nuts.

I suppose I could do that, but I do like the clean, classic look of the headlight shell (though of course there's always the issue of cracking plastic to deal with). It may be worth the relatively small effort to try and see what it looks like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Is that vinyl wrapping I see there Mark?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 pm

ITSecurity wrote:

I suppose I could do that, but I do like the clean, classic look of the headlight shell (though of course there's always the issue of cracking plastic to deal with). It may be worth the relatively small effort to try and see what it looks like.

You could always buy the SE shell. I believe it's hideously expensive, however.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 pm

ghezzi wrote:
Is that vinyl wrapping I see there Mark?

Well..yeah. That's how GRiSO became orange.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm

beetle wrote:
ITSecurity wrote:

You could always buy the SE shell. I believe it's hideously expensive, however.

The shell I have is in fine shape, so whatever strategy I choose will include preserving it intact if I can. I'll likely try your suggestion of removing the shell, since I have a carbon-fiber (or is that carbon -fibre?) flyscreen installed that will help hide the bits behind.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 am

I was considering a similar conversion. I had saved this 7" Daymaker Headlight Bucket on my Amazon wish list. Think it's generic enough it could work on a GRiSO
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:51 am

WRT your second question, and with some trepidation following my oil-thread debacle Rolling Eyes, I submit these -- which I am ordering (or stopping by a JD place to buy) -- to paint an aluminum bracket for my Stornello's auxiliary lights ... after I decide whether to go flat or not:

John Deere Flat Stuff

John Deere Satin Stuff

BTW, I am one of those guys who learned the hard way how fornicating expen$ive a replacement OEM shell is.   Shocked

Post pix upon your victory ... or defeat.   Wink

Bill

P.S. A prospective buyer on Amazon asked "Msrp on this is $8 why is the price so high?" The seller responded, "Shipping is expensive, Amazon fee is about 15%, need money to support our family. Choose any three Smile Natalie."  I like her style.  cheers
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 am

Hey Bill; what could go wrong with your post this time ???

You know he's based in Canada right; Hopefully doesn't need the bigger size cans...

"We cannot ship these products to California, Delaware, Maryland or Canada"
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:00 am

Now I'm messing it up - maybe they just won't ship to Canadians living in US :-)
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am

paulbrice wrote:

You know he's based in Canada right; Hopefully doesn't need the bigger size cans...

I think I'm gonna throw up. Embarassed

Bill
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Rustoleum makes a "farm" paint, pretty good stuff, found it at Menards about half the price.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

paulbrice wrote:

I have dual citizenship. When I'm in Canada, everyone calls me an American, and when I'm in the US, everyone calls me a Canadian. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FreshEgg
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
FreshEgg

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 pm

I recently fell down and broke my headlight. Spazzed out and immediately ordered a generic 7" "Daymaker" LED headlight from Amazon only to find that it does not fit in the stock headlight shell.

The resulting search turned up Low Profile Healight Shell ($79 USD) from Motodemic. It is an exact fit for the stock headlight mount. This is the same shell that JW Speaker uses for their V7 LED conversation kit. However, it isn't super convincing to me: old school where you mount the LED unit to bezel with spring clips, then bezel to housing with 2 sheet metal tabs and 1 screw. I would have preferred an LED unit with integral mounts off the casting.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

WRT your second question, and with some trepidation following my oil-thread debacle Rolling Eyes, I submit these -- which I am ordering (or stopping by a JD place to buy) -- to paint an aluminum bracket for my Stornello's auxiliary lights ... after I decide whether to go flat or not:

John Deere Flat Stuff

John Deere Satin Stuff

BTW, I am one of those guys who learned the hard way how fornicating expen$ive a replacement OEM shell is.   Shocked

Post pix upon your victory ... or defeat.   Wink

Bill

Well, it looks like my final result (after a couple of experiments) will be something like what Beetle did, letting the LED unit act as its own shell. I have done a few 'make pretty' things to make the result more visually acceptable for my own configuration. I will be relying on a carbon-fiber flyscreen or a just-received Givi A34 windshield to help hide the wiring that can now not be hidden in the shell. I used some 3/4-inch shrink-tubing to black out the coupling nuts used to suspend the LED headlight unit, and did a few other things too.

Photos to come, along with those showing how I mounted Rizoma turn signals.
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 pm

So Tony, how did things finally turn out? Picture-picture?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 am

I felt a bit affluent at the weekend and stuck on a Koso Thunderbolt, just needed a couple of 8mm through spacers and modified the wiring from inside the OE headlight as the Koso comes with a flying lead. I think it looks the business, but hey that’s why I stuck it on :-)

Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Robinson_Spike wrote:
I felt a bit affluent at the weekend and stuck on a Koso Thunderbolt, just needed a couple of 8mm through spacers and modified the wiring from inside the OE headlight as the Koso comes with a flying lead. I think it looks the business, but hey that’s why I stuck it on :-)

Oh yes i want one of those, i guess that's the running light on? how does it look on low beam?
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:59 pm

they are how much!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 pm

sidrat wrote:
they are how much!!!!!

Hahaha - yes I know, my wife let me buy it at the Manchester show because it’s a hefty piece of kit in real life and I was pleasantly surprised when my tight arsed mates even said it was the business and, it gets attention everywhere, makes the bike look modern too?

Paul
Back to top Go down
Florida lime
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Florida lime

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:50 am

They WERE 10% off - ended yesterday though. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:38 am

Florida lime wrote:
They WERE 10% off - ended yesterday though. Sad

Koso North America? - Tell em that I sent you - I reckon that they’ll give you 15%
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh wow I am going to get that Koso Thunderbolt, it looks awesome!
Back to top Go down
Richard
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Richard

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:21 am

That’s a great idea Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing LED headlight unit   Installing LED headlight unit Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Installing LED headlight unit
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next