GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Changing Hoses on Blow-By?

Go down 
+5
jretanacr
Steak
rboe
Pete Roper
cytocycle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Empty
PostSubject: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Sat May 10, 2014 12:46 pm

ok I've been a lurker for sometime and just introduced myself in my first 2 posts.

so I've been struggling with mechanics... dealer has caused more problems than fixed so now that I have time I need to start doing the fixing
Currently I've tracked down an oil leak to the left Blow-By house where it attaches to the head.  The rubber tubing is cracked at the top and is lightly spraying oil on everything, oh joy!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I need to replace this hose (it's split slightly on the top) which runs up to a black plastic container near the head tube.  
Quick questions:
1) If I change out this house what type of hose should I buy?, and will that line be oil filled when I remove the clamp

2) Should I buy new clamps, safety wire, or get screw style clamps for the new hose?

3) on the right side Throttle body it looks like the connector is not latched? Can I latch this without the special tool?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Sat May 10, 2014 4:08 pm

The hoses are unfortunately 'Pre Formed', mine cracked a few weeks ago and I bought new ones but I kludged mine up, (They were cracked at the bend.) and since they no longer leak I haven't got round to replacing them. The hoses are of the usual feeble Guzzi quality, in your case I'd be tempted to just remove the hose, (You'll need a pair of specific pliers for the Oeliker clamp.) and trim the end off the hose and re-install it and see what happens. If you can get a thin hose clamp that might offer a better solution than re-using the Oeliker clamp. The hose is a breather. It will have a small amount of oil in that has condensed from the vapour pumped out of the engine but they aren't *Full* of oil as their purple is to take the vapour to the condensor box behind the head where the oil separates and runs back to the sump via the other pipe that goes to the back of the sump next to the oil drain plug.

While not certain from the last picture that looks like one of the connectors to the charcoal canister. Many people pull this system off. If you do simply run the vent pipe down under the bike and join the two spigots on the manifolds together or simply plug them with short Allen bolts with an alloy washer on. The charcoal canister can simply be removed and stored in case you want to put it back on later for some reason.

Pete
Back to top Go down
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Sat May 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks Pete

the Charcoal Canister system fell off a while ago so I'll check to see if those are the same houses, I'm just annoyed that my GRiSO comes back leaking oil and stuff broken after dealer visits.

I am not sure I have enough house as the crack is like 1.75cm behind the clamp.. I was tempted to cut and safety wire it on if it's only an overflow basically. I might try that. That's annoying they are preformed as I looks impossible to get a set of those Oeliker pliers in near the head tube to replace the hose.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Sat May 10, 2014 8:07 pm

The hose has no real pressure in it. Unlike earlier big blocks all the venting of crankcase pressure is through these two hoses but it simply pumps the gas up to the separator where its errr, separated then the oil flows back to the sump and the gasses are fed to the airbox and re-breathed through the motor. The actual 'Pressure' is minimal, that's why the hoses aren't reinforced. I would of thought you could cut a couple of cm off the end and reattach it. It might look a bit ungainly but it would probably work.

Pete
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon May 12, 2014 8:28 am

You can swing by the house sometime and test fit my Oetiker clamp pliers (and I have a good suplly of clamps so we could attempt the trim and reuse method Pete has suggested. It appears you have plenty of room up top to use the pliers. The other end, well, we'll just have to see. Looks tight.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon May 12, 2014 8:48 am

cytocycle wrote:

3) on the right side Throttle body it looks like the connector is not latched? Can I latch this without the special tool?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 am

I'm noticing a leak on the left side of my engine beneath the steering bar. Apparently the cap of the blow-by system failed. It is farting when I accelerate the engine. Noticed the leak is clearer than engine oil. Is this consistent with my diagnosis of the blow by cap failure? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am

Almost certainly. Could be the hoses too.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Just for the record, Oetiker clamps are single use, you will need spares and the correct pliers if you stay that way. Many others have used normal clamps, and this area is not under pressure, as Pete says, so a bit of twisted wire would work, but I'll leave that to your sensibilities - I would use this but only till I could do a proper job. I have replaced most oetiker clamps with straight worm drive clamps - no issues to date.

Then again, i wonder what that slow drip is under my bike?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I recommend t-bolt clamps.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm

I often wonder about the slow drip on top of my bike... scratch
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:28 pm

We all do, Pat
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 am

He'll get you for that one Tony.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Can't wait. I need a Cabal/rally/piss-up. And it's his shout!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Tis time, I've just about finished Beetle's Gentleman Jack What a Face
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
Tis time, I've just about finished Beetle's Gentleman Jack What a Face

Haven't you finished that yet? Amateur! Cool

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:04 pm

A bit slower than 2 in 2 days?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Ahem. I'll have you know it was 3 days. You make me sound like a drunkard.

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Sorry Mark, how'd you go with 3 days then?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't remember. I was too pissed... drunken

cheers

Tee hee...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing Hoses on Blow-By?   Changing Hoses on Blow-By? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Changing Hoses on Blow-By?
Page 1 of 1