GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A Tire Question

Go down 
+5
GHTE
Charlie J
beetle
Pete Roper
PilotJet
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:26 am

So I just ordered a new set of tires for my 2012 Kawi Concours 14 .... 120/70 ZR17 Front and 190/50 ZR17 Rear.  I accidentally ordered the Pilot Power 3's when I thought I was ordering the Pilot Road 3's and the order already shipped. So I'm wondering, can I hold onto these and put them on my 17 GRiSO instead when it needs new tires (probably the end of this season)? I know the front size is the same, but do you think the rear size difference will be a problem (180/55)? I don't ride the track or race at all, but I do get aggressive.... occasionally. If they wont work, I'll just put them on the Concours and probably wear them out quicker than I'd like.... Thanks So Much!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:56 am

Clearance is tight on the swingarm with a 180. I’d expect the 190 to foul it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:14 am

Ya, after you said that I went and looked and Crap! You're right, I didn't realize the clearance was that close to the swingarm. Holy Crap, that's close. Looks like I'll be burning those tires off on the big bike.... at least I got them for 100 bucks less than the pilot roads. Thanks Pete!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:09 am

I ran Avon Storms on my GRiSO once. The rear actually measured 188, and it didn't rub, but there was bugger-all clearance. A 190 might work if the true width is less. However, the wider rear made it handle like an overloaded barge. For that reason alone, I wouldn't do it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 am

Yes, You're Right. Thank You! I'm stuck with my mistake. That's ok though... Maybe I can get the big bike onto the track up in Loudon, NH on a track day and put those new tires to the test!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 am

A Concours on the track? That'd be a sight to see! Very Happy

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Charlie J
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Charlie J

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 pm

My personal opinion,but I prefer the Powers over the Roads. I beleve the Pilot Powers have been discontinued.....
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

That's good to hear. I was thinking they would be better to run on the GRiSO than on the heavier bike cause I've been reading that they wear pretty fast, but I'm hoping they'll be ok. I'm sure they'll be fine. I do like the feel of softer, stickier tires...makes me do things I probably shouldn't be doing though. Smile I got the pair for a good price.
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

If it fitted it would slow the turn in rate a tad.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 am

beetle wrote:
A Concours on the track? That'd be a sight to see! Very Happy

cheers

The Concours Owners Group had a track day in Jennings FL this past Feb. There were a gaggle of Connies in attendance and make a great showing. The track personnel thought we would slow down the other riders. No so if you know how to ride. :-)

I was running the GRiSO
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 am

The Connie really does get up and go. Got it mostly for the girlfriend and the long trips, but its got a rocket engine in it and it handles so nice for a heavy bike. But playing on the GRiSO (2nd one) is the most fun I've ever had on a bike ... that, and the 400 thumper in the woods!
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 am

So I ended up with those Pilot Power tires on the Concours this year and I really like them. Only put 3,500 on them so far but they are wearing very nice. They are great tires for a decent price. The GRiSO is ready for a new set in the spring so I'm going with another set of these, if I can still find some, but the right size this time. Nothing like a set of new tires. Always feels like a new bike for the first 1,000 miles. I picked up a No-Mar tire changing machine a few years ago and have never looked back. Wish I had one of those 30 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:56 am

I had Powers on my Norge -- also by mistake the dealer's, not mine, tho I am certainly capable of that!  Embarassed

I really liked them, but could not afford them as my rear corded at c.3.5K.  Sad

Likely more my weight than Norge power; cannot believe that your "only (!) 3.5K" is on a Kaw 14.  I've only ridden one of those and nearly dumped Kathi off the rear end when I pulled an unintentional wheelie as I pulled away.  Lordy.  Shocked  

Bill
Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 am

I Know, Right! That's funny. The front can sometimes come up on that "heavy" nose. The motor on that 14 is such a power plant, and so smooth.... I do appreciate Japanese engineering. Took 2 long trips up thru Northern Maine this year and its perfect for comfort and storage without sacrificing performance. Have a cabin way up by the border near Mars Hill. The roads are So Sweet up there, and the traffic is next to nothing, compared to here in Mass where there's no such thing as "Nice Road, No Traffic". So the Guzzi suffered lower mileage this year, but not too bad. It was out for a little bit getting warranty work done (those pesky leaking allen plugs in the head). Using it as a bar hopper, it gets a fair share of mileage. Smile The thumper (WR400) never made it in the woods this year). Sad
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I had an emergency tire change during my summer tour on the Norge, ended up with a 190 rear, a Metzler M3. Fit with no rubbing, but barely.....
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Charlie J wrote:
My personal opinion,but I prefer the Powers over the Roads. I beleve the Pilot Powers have been discontinued.....

The Pilot Powers appear to have the same tread as the Pilot Road 2s. I like them, especially on the 1200 Sport. Still available in NZ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Tire Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tire Question   A Tire Question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A Tire Question
Page 1 of 1