GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

best front tire?

Go down 
+13
Kinkajou
Grisonut
Daves-i-Know
radelaide
H-E-ROSS
keenerkeen07
bahamazoo
Street
supersubby
KevinEmpire
Oz1200Guzzi
Canyon Carver
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

What's the best tire to replace my stock Metzler on my '12 ??? Twisty roads around here.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:46 pm

CC, For what it's worth, I replace my front when I replace my rear - good performance match at both ends - bigger smiles. Pilot Road 4's are what I currently have and would use again.
Back to top Go down

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:05 pm

A round one. Black. Big hole in the middle. Preferably made of rubber...........
has worked for me thus far.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:45 pm

ghezzi wrote:
A round one. Black. Big hole in the middle. Preferably made of rubber...........
has worked for me thus far.

I already have one asshole. Oh that was mean spirited. I haven't started drinking yet. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
KevinEmpire

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:46 pm

I've been pretty happy with the Metzler's performance. Any reason you don't want to go with them again?
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:22 pm

KevinEmpire wrote:
I've been pretty happy with the Metzler's performance. Any reason you don't want to go with them again?

I've got a little ove 7k miles on them and the front is worn enough to warrant change. On close inspection I'm seeing a bit of cracking, though not severe. Besides others may have found better overall satisfaction with other brands having switched from Metzler.
Back to top Go down
supersubby
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
supersubby

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:37 pm

I've just put Road Pilot 4's on mine to replace the Metzlers and has totally transformed the handling (for the better)
Back to top Go down
http://www.igbsecurity.co.uk
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Canyon Carver wrote:
I already have one asshole...

I'm glad to hear that CC, having two would be a real pain in the ass!
I think maybe what you meant to say was, "I already have one, asshole." Wink

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“Danger + Survival = Fun.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Street wrote:
Canyon Carver wrote:
I already have one asshole...

I'm glad to hear that CC, having two would be a real pain in the ass!
I think maybe what you meant to say was, "I already have one, asshole." Wink

One of us is bonkers and it aint me. drunken
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:40 pm

It's time for me to replace the stock Z8s also and am currently considering the PR4. The Z8 front now has approx. 16500kms on it and has done well for me. Would like something a bit better for rain though.

Have heard some good reports on Avon tires but don't know anyone running them.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 pm

uuurggh... I thought the original metzlers were probably the worst tyres Ive ever used... and thats in 30 plus years of riding!
The first week of Guzzi ownership left me with the impression of "nice bike, pity it doesn't go around corners".
Got rid of the liquorice hoops, and all of a sudden...
Currently have 10,000k on a set of Pirelli Angels, ST up front and GT rear, and very very happy.
Due for a new set, and tossing up these again, or maybe Pilot 4s..... think I'm being swayed to the Pilots...
- but as Oz says, do 'em both.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:19 am

I am another who replaces tires as a set, cant see the advantage of one before the other, heat cycles are what wears them out in the first place..just because they have some tread left doesn't mean they are still good.
Front tires.. usually.. are pooched at the same time as rears , they just look better ..
check em closely for cupping and there's a good chance you will see some, especially if you brake late in the corners and drop her in..

my 2 cents

Last edited by keenerkeen07 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm

My GRiSO has the original Metzlers on it at 5K+ miles. I am planning on putting on a pair of PR4s when I drop the bike off for the 6K service. I had put a set of them on my V11 Lemans this spring. I was very happy with them, in both dry and wet conditions. Frankly, the tires currently on my GRiSO suck. I am looking forward to a whole new experience after the change.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
radelaide
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
radelaide

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:59 am

I'm running Dunlop Sportsmax qualifiers. They leave the Metzler M whatevers for dead with regards to handling. Despite being a soft tyre, they still like a warm up. Don't think they'll last as long but it's all about fun with me.
Back to top Go down
Daves-i-Know
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Daves-i-Know

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:11 am

bahamazoo wrote;Currently have 10,000k on a set of Pirelli Angels, ST up front and GT rear, and very very happy

Can you tell me why you prefer this set-up , bahamazoo, ST up front and GT in back?

Looking at new tires with my next tune-up, so I'm keen to see what people are running and why.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm a Dunlop guy as well but any Pilot tires will do I rekon...
Never was impressed with the Metzeler on the GRiSO and the same with the Pirellis.
For those of you that don't push it and ride conservative, any tire just about, is good enough...
Back to top Go down
Kinkajou
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Kinkajou

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:45 am

I was planning to try the michelins pilot st as my metzeler really love to cup, I love twisties, anybody have an opinion on the st? I know the pilots will be better but still do a lot of touring so looking for a compromise here...
Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am

Kinkajou wrote:
I was planning to try the michelins pilot st as my metzeler really love to cup, I love twisties, anybody have an opinion on the st?  I know the pilots will be better but still do a lot of touring so looking for a compromise here...

I have pilot 3 on at the moment, a good tyre sure, but I didn't notice a big improvement over the pilot 2. I am going to give the Pirelli Angel GT a try next. My Son has the Angel ST on his CBR and is pretty happy with them!

GT are getting good reviews (so are ST) but no personal experience yet.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Grisonut wrote:
Never was impressed with the Metzeler on the GRiSO and the same with the Pirellis.
For those of you that don't push it and ride conservative, any tire just about, is good enough...

Favorite ever set of tyres were the 207RR's that came on my Tuono, a bit anti social as they would pluck stones out of the tar and throw them at those following me...Warmed up nicely and sticky as a sticky thing, turned blue after a track day heat cycle..

I have Pilot Powers on the GRiSO, way better turn in than the Metzeler, now wear issues yet, about 3k on them.

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Dunlop Roadsmart 2 ...for me ..on my second set now they stick well give good duration ...but i am thinking of PR4 as a replacements ...any one out there tried the Roadsmart 2 as compared to the PR4..scratch
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Scot p wrote:
Grisonut wrote:

Favorite ever set of tyres were the 207RR's that came on my Tuono, a bit anti social as they would pluck stones out of the tar and throw them at those following me...Warmed up nicely and sticky as a sticky thing, turned blue after a track day heat cycle..

I have Pilot Powers on the GRiSO, way better turn in than the Metzeler, now wear issues yet, about 3k on them.

cya
Scot.

I mentioned it already on this board before...best tire I ever had on the GRiSO was the Dunlop Roadsmart before it was discontinued for the RSmart II. I got 8000 miles out of that tire including two track days and it was on my 09.
I put the Roadsmart II after that and it was not as sticky and it was gone in 5000 miles. Disapointment...
I do like the qualifier but I kill that one in 4000 miles. lol
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Daves-I-Know ,
it was likely a "oooh, the ST is stickier up front, the GT will last longer down the back" type of decision...
It may also have been as I was 'forced' to get the tyres at 2 different places and 500km apart, and may have been stock on the shelf related. I can't recall (many things my wife says...).
Regardless, am very happy with them. I just checked the mileage (kilometerage) and the GT actually has 13,400 on it, and still has plenty of meat in the centre -edges are a bit scuffed tho...
There is a change in the profile, you can see that it has flattened off across the middle a bit. If I was going to canvas, then I'm guessing another 3 or 4 thou left there.
Previously ran a pair of Conti Road Attack II's, pretty happy with grip and life...got 10, 000 out of them too... mmm guess I don't enough burnouts anymore!!
The only reason that I am thinking of going to the PR4s is public opinion, I cannot fault the Angels.
Would I go ST and GT combo again....? Probably.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm confused !!!
Lots of differing views including journalistic ramblings
Looks like this tyre issue is an individual 'suck it and see' situation
As someone else just wrote there are too many variables for definitive answers
For my situation I think I will just buy an economical example, Bridgestone, Shinko ect
I struggle to see, for my style, why I should pay an extra hundred bucks for a more well known brand
I can fully understand for those who push the limits the need to not be concerned primarily with the price.
Ciao
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:33 pm

wardentm wrote:
I'm confused !!!
Lots of differing views including journalistic ramblings
Looks like this tyre issue is an individual 'suck it and see' situation
As someone else just wrote there are too many variables for definitive answers
For my situation I think I will just buy an economical example, Bridgestone, Shinko ect
I struggle to see, for my style, why I should pay an extra hundred bucks for a more well known brand
I can fully understand for those who push the limits the need to not be concerned primarily with the price.
Ciao

as far as tires go...one mans opinion is just that ,they are all good depends on who you talk too , i have had great performance from one brand and it will be put down by someone else ..
Tire threads are best read between the lines so to speak IMO ...

my 2 cents
Keener
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 pm

wardentm wrote:
I'm confused !!!
Ciao

A worn(not extreme just starting to square off a bit) Metzler contributed to my crash, was getting some tram-lining in the month before and under Heavy front breaking it followed a road contour and it pitched me over, strange crash bike went lowside but I went high...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

best front tire? Empty
PostSubject: Re: best front tire?   best front tire? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

best front tire?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next