GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...

Go down 
+4
Kiwi_Roy
LBC Tenni
cognosticator
usedtobefast
8 posters
AuthorMessage
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Empty
PostSubject: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Ok, 2 days old, and back at the dealer. Sad

Front tire was leaking down from 35 psi to 25 psi in about 12 hours of time. No nail/screw in tire.

So if it is leaking around a spoke (or 2) ... what will the dealer do? Remove the spoke nipple, put a new o-ring under it, tighten it back up. Check for leaks.

Or do you guys seal them up with something. Bike is a 2017 with 80 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:02 pm

When I changed my tires last month I had read about leaking spokes. I put a dab of silicone sealant on each nipple from the inside. Mine were not leaking but as a cautionary procedure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Or you can go with the cast alloy wheels from earlier models. I got a new rear wheel for $80 from this guy on eBay. He only has one left:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Your dealer should change the leaking "O" ring, it's probably only 1 not sitting right.

BTW
I converted the spoke wheels on my 72 Eldorado with silicon as Grinapoco says
I found the cheap tubes of GE 100% Silicon 1 work as good as anything.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 pm

There's a thread or two here about leaking spokes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Oh man, I searched on leak and saw all kinds of scary oil leak threads. Smile Off to read some.

And my dealer, said they could fit it in today, dropped it off at 11am, 6pm they closed, no update. Oh well. Maybe they are trying to find the proper sized o-rings.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 pm

It's not rocket science.
Back to top Go down
usedtobefast
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
usedtobefast

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 am

Ok, GRiSO back. So service guys said no spokes were leaking, it was the bead around the rim. They cleaned everything up, reseated the tire, held exact pressure for ~ 18 hours, so we are calling it fixed.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 am

I have a set of cast alloys for sale in the classified ads - I had intended on putting them on my SE but never got round to it. I also intended to compare the wieght between the alloys and spoked wheels, but never removed the discs on my spokes so never established a baseline. I was driven by the annoying leaks and aslo the the belief that the alloys would be lighter and stronger.

I can tell you the the wieght of the cast alloys with bearings fitted to the front and trim/hubcap on the back is

Front 5kg
Rear 5.5 kg

Does anyone have the wieght of either the discs - front and back, or even better the spoked wheels minus the discs?

Andy

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:42 am

I have both cast & spoke wheels but I bought and fitted another set of discs all around just to make it easier to switch & both sets have tyres on them......not planning to take them off at moment but weighing fully loaded spoke ones, searching net & doing math (subject to normal measurement error & some tyre wear differences) says:

Brembo discs for GRiSO front are roughly 1.7 kg each
Front axle with nut & spacer for Spoke wheel is 434 g
Michelin Pilot 120/70 R17 is 4.2 kg
Michelin Pilot 180/55 R17 is 6.2 kg

Front spoke wheel with two discs and tyre and axle =13.5 kg
Rear spoke wheel with one disc and tyre = 13.9 Kg

Means Wink

Front spoke wheel without disc/tyre/axle is 5.5 kg
Rear spoke wheel without disc/tyre is 6.0 kg

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:45 am

PS: I assumed rear disc is same weight as a front one !
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Rear disk is smaller so may weigh less...
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Rear disk is smaller so may weigh less...
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:25 pm

If you suspect you have a leak get hold of one of those cheap plastic planter boxes 3ft x 6" x 6" Deep from the hardware/plant store. Jack up whichever end of the bike you need and work the box under the wheel.
Then fill it with water to cover the spoke nipples, even a very slow leak will show up as a stream of tiny bubbles as you rotate the wheel, wrap a piece of wire around the leaky ones. (no it doesn't fix the leak)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...    New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New GRiSO, front wheel leaking air ...
Page 1 of 1