GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Pressure in tank and running fuel pump

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Empty
PostSubject: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:38 am

2017 US model, less than 1k miles. Charcoal canister intact. Tank half full.
I didn’t get to ride much last year, so this is the warmest day it’s been on the road. Hot commute, temperature on the road at 80F.
Parked the bike in the garage, and walked by 20 minutes later to hear it humming. I assume the fuel pump is running, did a quick key on/off and kill switch, and it still hums. I open the gas cap to a wooshing sound (dunno if it was sucking or blowing,) and the humming immediately stops.
Closed the cap, all is quiet.
Checked 10 minutes later, and it’s humming again. Popped the cap, and it stops. Now I’m leaving it parked with the cap unlocked, which is inconvenient.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? I have a canisterectomy scheduled when I do the first service, should I even wait that long?

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

Wont hurt to wait, but if you want to do it sooner, here is the procedure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 am

Yes, it is simply venting fuel vapour through the one way valve and charcoal canister. In fact it's doing exactly what it is supposed to do! It will do no harm to the machine and in principle is beneficial to the environment. If it bugs you too much you can always remove the canister and recovery system as described in multiple places on the web.

Personally when I had my GRiSO in the US, (My one here is unaffected as we don't have or legally require the re-breather system.) I left it on and although it buzzed in very hot conditions when first parked I never had any of the problems some have noted of the vented vapours making the machine hard to start in hot weather. Maybe I was just lucky? I dunno? But since it caused me no problems and had some ecological benefit I just left it alone. The fact the bike made a noise like someone trying to hide a fart in a lift when parked never worried me, although some people looked at me strangely when I said it was normal. Mind you lots of people just look at me strangely at the best of times......

Pete
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Had a Ducati that did the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Mbeach
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Mbeach

PostSubject: Re: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Thank you everyone. I did a canister delete on my old Rockster out of necessity; the canister on that bike was physically located above the low point of the tank. Eventually charcoal would find its way down the hose and foul your filters.
The noise certainly sounded electrical, but could have just been the tip over valve humming. There was a single drop of gasoline under the canister vent line after 30 minutes parked.
I’m waiting on my cables to arrive from Lonelec, and I’ll do the tune, gap, and delete then.
Maybe I’ll apply some heat shielding to the bottom of the tank, it couldn’t hurt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pressure in tank and running fuel pump   Pressure in tank and running fuel pump Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Pressure in tank and running fuel pump
Page 1 of 1