GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring

Go down 
+8
DeepSpace
Richard
Pete Roper
Rushjob
Grisonut
tvboy
beetle
cognosticator
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:45 am

tvboy, did you ever get your gear thingy working?

Mine started doing suspicious things. Like blanking out, seemingly over bumps. Then I started getting micro-hesitation while riding...coinciding with blanking of gear indicator.

I removed the tank and re-terminated the connection, removing the supplied wire tap and replacing it with a posi-tap.

While riding today, I got the same intermittent blank display and hesitation. I pulled the gear indicator harness connector, rendering it inoperable. No more hesitation...I think. It may have been psychosomatic, or the goat track the gummint calls 'roads' 'round here masking any issue. The fuel light chose to come one, so I headed home. I'm wondering whether it's doing funnies to the phase sensor signal.

I think a cruise on better pavement may be required.

Suspect

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:40 am

Hi beetle,
How strange you ask because I've been wondering how you liked yours. I've not gotten around to doing it yet. Been focused on getting a proper cell phone holder (Ram mounts universal) and making a living. I don't like the idea of the engine cutting out. Not good. I've read many reviews on these units and not come across any complaints so don't know what to think. You say the bike doesn't cut out after you re-connected the phase wire? I plan to get my phase signal from the RH coil signal wire. (Not sure which wire color it is yet.) Reason is I would not have to remove the tank (trying to avoid that) ,the coil is easy to access, and the most important reason is if I have a faulty connection it would effect only the one coil so the bike would still run on one cylinder I hope. Not die completely. It would be relatively easy to do a field repair if it was a problem. Could you try relocating the phase pick-up to a coil and see if that solves your problem? Still like the red color? BTW, what is a Posi-tap?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I think I'll try the coil connection too. The right coil wire to connect to is the blue/green wire.

Posi-tap:

And, yes, I'm happy with red.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:29 pm

So THAT's a Posi-Tap. Never seen that style before. The only reason I'll be using the RH coil is because my display will be on the right side of the dash housing so a natural cable path is down the right side.
Thanks for the wire color. I've been trying to get a high resolution schematic so I can read the wire colors. MG hasn't been too helpful so far.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Here 'tis.

Download it from my drop box.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 pm

beetle,

Thanks for the schematic! I can see clearly now! Looks like sky blue/green stripe.

I may be over thinking things but I just thought of something.
The cam phase sensor pulses should be equally spaced (that's good for the ECU and the gear indicator circuit) regardless of the actual  cam shaft speed but the coil pulses won't be equally spaced will they? The two coil pulses are not equally spaced when engine is running but we are using just one of them so it won't matter I guess. It should be OK? Tapping into just one coil signal will result in evenly spaced pulses.  I think I answered my own question. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:10 pm

The answer is "yes".

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:04 am

Relocated RPM input wire to right coil. I had to relearn the gears again, but it appears to be working as it should. I'm still getting blank-out's when I hit a bump, so I'll check the connection to +12V, ground, and speed signal.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 am

It makes me wonder if the supplied clamp-on style connectors aren't very solid.
There are different brands and in this neck of the woods the best ones are made by Scotch.
The connectors are Scotchlok. Never heard any complaints about them.

Oh wait, you soldered directly onto the wheel speed wire and didn't use a connector. hmmmm.
What the hell? Just how big are the bumps down there? ha
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

I checked the soldered connections, snugged up the female pins in the connector, and tied the connector to the loom, to prevent it flopping about.

I probably won't get to test ride it again until the weekend.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Anxious to hear about it after your next ride.

At least we know a flakey speedo connection wouldn't cause your engine to falter.
It could cause the gear display to blank but you think the engine might be faulting while the display is blanking.

It just doesn't seem likely you have a bad connection. I'm kind of wondering about the display itself. hmm
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Still happening. Still blanking over bumps. Dash & speedo are rock solid. I'm also still getting the intermittent hesitation. Paying careful attention this time, they don't appear to be simultaneous, so not related. I think.

I don't think it's the harness connector, but I will inspect it carefully.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am

All I can think of is disconnect the Healtech tacho wire from the bike's coil wire to return to 'stock' and see if the engine falter continues. If so, you know it's unrelated but still annoying. Are any codes appearing? I'm guessing in the dark. You know these bikes better than me.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 am

I moved the +12V & GND to the taillight wiring. No more blanking over bumps. Either my connections were bad, or the speedo sensor wiring is flaky.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:27 am

Well, that's good news. To recap, the tacho is still connected to the RH coil signal wire and the speedo is still soldered onto the pin in the factory connector on the right side by the airbox. Where did you get the 12v and gnd from before moving to the tail light wires?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Correct.

Originally I had the +12V & GND also soldered to the speedo connector. It seemed convenient.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:32 pm

It's strange it caused a problem if your speedo works fine. Good to know you found an easy solution. I was planning on tapping into the tail light wires so it's good it works. On yours anyway. Electrical systems can really be a mystery sometimes. I run into head-scratchers all the time. So your gear indicator is all squared away then.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes. Just gotta figure out these hesitations. It ran strong yesterday until the last 10 minutes when I was heading home, when it had a few micro-hesitations.

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Did it ever do those hesitations before you installed the gear indicator?
Nothing is showing up on the diagnostics/faults?
I wonder if it's a carry-over from your accident?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:08 am

No, it did not. No faults, and I don't suspect its accident related. It's also unrelated to the gear indicator,  as it turns out. It's a fuel problem. Injector, most likely, says Pete. I'm posting details in the What did you do with your GRiSO today? thread.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for the follow up. I looked at the chart. Interesting the diag doesn't say which injector is faulting but it narrowed it down.
You could change one injector at a time to at least know for the record which one was the problem. Are they original with a lot of kms? I'm about to order the indicator. For some reason I keep going for 7th even though I know I'm in 6th. so weird.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Not original. I replaced the stock injectors which higher flow units after the engine was embiggened.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Oh that's right . You had an augmentation.

Back to top Go down
scagliog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
scagliog

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:46 am

Hello... Getting to do wire up the HealTech gear indicator... great thread! Could somebody repost the wiring diagram.. I have 1200SE 2017.. I think I have figured out all wiring except for the 'tapping at the RH Coil'... which wire exactly and which color is it???
Thank you so much!
Giuseppe
Back to top Go down
scagliog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
scagliog

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:58 am

Looks like I found the schematic... can you confirm the "Sky Blue and Green wire to the RX coil"

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Gear Indicator Wiring   Help with Gear Indicator Wiring - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help with Gear Indicator Wiring
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next