GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Its been a hard road

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
mikecanz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

Its been a hard road  Empty
PostSubject: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 pm

I took the bike on a road test in may at a dealership with 20 KMs on the odometer. I tried Harley's, BMW's, Yamaha, and Triumphs. Finally, I found a bike that could stand out, that was amazing to ride. Coming from a 96 1200 bandit I wanted something very bare-bones with a cable throttle and hydro clutch. the GRiSO was an unreal comparison.

Coming up to the first service I have a massive oil leak coming from the rear main. So into the dealer for warranty work getting the motor pulled at 1000 km. Okay, it happens its an Italian bike I half expected it. Get the bike back and have breather hoses incorrectly routed and rear brake line/speedo cable hanging down, the bike would hardly start and run very poor. okay take the tank off and do the work myself since I cannot trust my dealer to perform the tasks (international motorsports Langley, BC). Go on a 3000 km road trip. start noticing the front rotors are becoming very out of round, I definitely have a high spot, it feels like I'm riding a horse. okay ill make sure to mention that when I return to home base from my road trip. On my last day, I have 465 km until home, start up the bike in the morning everything good I ride to the gas station. Mid ride to the gas station I have a very apparent misfire under heavy load. No place to pull over no tools with me so I suffer a terrible misfire under 4k. I'm forced to keep my RPM up. I'm getting to my next fuel stop while all this is happening in the rain - and my service light appears, now the bike is idling at 2k rpm. Okay, roll with the punches I just need to get home. I make it home pull my plug covers off and both wires are arching to the head. Call my dealer and they are nice enough to just switch them for me under warranty. Awesome.

The wires must have been buggered for quite some time since it runs so entirely different. Show up at the dealer because the code won't erase. Service advisor doesn't believe me about the rotors. I tell him I've done the bobbins, he still doubts me. I hand him the keys he takes it 50 meters and hands the key back to me "Yeah, they are fucked" and sorry we cannot erase the code because it comes right back so we need to diag it with the guy from Italy. OK, fine ill book it in.

Clutch master is also leaking out of the reservoir vents.

I just want this thing normal so I can load the god damn beetle map and enjoy the beautiful noise. I'm almost ready to trade it in for an FJR or Beemer. What else should I be geared up for? 6000 km and I've done more service on this than I ever have my Suzuki - I knew it would be more but so soon!? holy meatballs.

2017 GRiSO 1200 SE
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Bugger!

The plug lead misfire is not uncommon. The warped rotors is, and the leaky master cylinder.

What's the code? We can probably diagnose it more quickly, and for free.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:26 pm

(Sigh.) the plug caps are buggered because when they pulled the motor to do the rear flange they grabbed them from the top and reefed them off and tore them. When the 8V was new this was a problem but given that it was a new design, forgiveable. Now e
Even years on, Its is absurd that it's still happening.

Yeah, what code is it throwing?

Pete
Back to top Go down
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:27 pm

well, its all under warranty so it better be free. It's a 60 or a P0505.

Past testing the powers and grounds to the unit and making sure there is continuity between the ecu and the unit. It's just a simple 4 wire IAC motor so it is either faulty or gummed up with oil.

Did I mention they overfilled my crankcase with an extra 1L

Batting 1000
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 pm

60 is a stepper issue PO505 is not listed.

Thinking about the brake issue? If the master cylinder reservoir has been overfilled and the lid jammed on with no room for fluid expansion through the bellows it could cause the pads to rub on the discs and cause them to warp.

This shop don't sound particularly cluey........
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

P0505 is the same as 60. Idle control issue. If they've overfilled the oil, dollars to donuts there's oil in your airbox, and consequently, the stepper.

Clean the airbox and squirt some throttle body cleaner into the stepper intake, and the throttle bodies. With the engine running.

Don't take it back to those morons.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 pm

clutch master is leaking not the brake master -- before bringing it to them ill see just how much oil is in the intake piping and iac but I really need them to do something about those rotors so I'm at one heck of a crossroads since it is all still under warranty

aye carumba
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Mike. Sounds like you got off to a bit of a rough start with your GRiSO, but hang in there, once it's all sorted you'll love it!

Pete (Street)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:52 pm

UPDATE: So because it's under warranty I dropped it back off at the dealer. I phoned Thursday and I was told a charge wire ground was broken. I've never noticed anything wrong with the charging voltage. I wonder if they broke a wire getting into something? . I got an email today saying theyve done pin out testing and the mechanic is suspecting a wiring harness issue according to the service advisor. He told me they are waiting for moto guzzi Cali to get back to them. I'm starting to get worried I'm going to get my bike back with more pieces missing. Part of me thinks I should just get it out of there while I still can. Does any one have a link to a wiring diagram for the GRiSO?
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks, Kiwi Dave!

UPDATE #2:

So after having my bike for 12 days, I phoned to find out when I could pick up the bike. The service advisor told me he had no news for me and the fellas at Piaggio aren't getting back to him "They might be pissy with us" he stated. I told him that it was okay I just want to pick up my bike and ride it. Don't rush the tech to put it back together and I'll pick it up the next day. He responded with Okay.

I phoned the Piaggo group that same day and talked to a super nice lady named Lisa. We talked for a bit about all the stuff im going thru with this bike and she sympathized heavily with me. She told me that some dealerships need us to hold their hands every step of the way. She told her head of tech support and they phoned international the same evening.

I spoke with the service advisor today and asked him if Guzzi phoned, he said, "suprisngly yes they did phone us after we spoke" to which I replied. "yup they should have, I had to phone them direct and talk to them about your dealership", "Good" was all he said.
So now the whole day has passed they've moved a stepper motor from a new bike into mine and have come to the conclusion that the stepper motor was not, in fact, the issue. However, every time they clear the code it comes right back. They have said that the wiring harness has been tested and they suspect a bad one, but they cant relay me resistance values between the stepper motor and the ECU nor can they tell me whether or not they've load tested the wiring going to the stepper.

Needless to say, im picking up the bike tomorrow, Buying the connectors for Guzzi diag and i'll attack it on my lonesome. As far as the rotors go I should have them available to me next week, so thats nice.

The season in BC is coming to an end pretty soon and im sure as hell not going to waste it while this fellers try to diag something they obviously need a lot of help with.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 pm

Look, if you like I could give you the email of a guy I know who lives near Comox on Vancouver Island who is pretty cluey. Sean, who posts as sdml or some such on Wildguzzi. I helped him out with some tools and advice when he had to do the clutch on his Stelvio. We dropped in to see him and his lovely wife Claire last year on our trip. I'm pretty sure if he's available he'd be happy to at least try and help.

Pete
Back to top Go down
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:07 pm

I'll take all the help I can get. The only reason it's at the dealership is because it isn't costing me anything lol. I talked to the guy at cypress motor ports here in delta and he seemed really keen. I'm going to go visit him and get the beetle map loaded and see if he can erase the code. The thing that bugs me is that if it is a harness problem I would just cut and solder a new wire in instead of waiting on guzzi to tell me what to do. Like it's either going to be the stepper motor or pcm right now. The bike idles fine, rides good, and starts nice. Typical dealership problems lol
Back to top Go down
smdl
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
smdl

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi, Mike.

I'm the guy that Pete mentioned on the island (Courtenay). Sorry to hear that you have had such a rough go of things with your new GRiSO. Rest assured that problems like this are not business as usual for Guzzis, and once you get these issues sorted, you'll likely have a very reliable bike on your hands.

I recognize that it's a long way to come, but I'm happy to extend an invitation for you to bring the beast over so we can go through it. I won't claim to be an expert on Grisos or steppers, but I can generally find my way around an 8V bike, and I have both tools and Guzzidiag at the ready.

I'm actually on the mainland for the next couple of days, but not sure I'll be able to break away from commitments to come have a look. Let me know what options/availability you have, and I'll help any way that I can.

Don't lose hope -- we'll help you get it sorted!

Cheers,
Shaun
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:25 am

Thanks Sean! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
mikecanz
Carlotto
Carlotto
mikecanz

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

UPDATE:
So still the problem remains unresolved. They had to get the go-ahead from the Piaggio group to try another ecu. Im still thinking the stepper motor is pooched. They promised me they tried a different one and it had the same results. So, I'll have to get the last bit of answers from them tomorrow.

I've done hours of testing and recorded all of it, and have come to the conclusion that the stepper motor is at fault. After this is done I'll be able to put together a comprehensive tutorial on how to diag this issue.

As soon as that service light is off, I have beetles map locked and loaded.

Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Quite a few of us have the stepper connected, but the hose blocked. All of the other problems went away - high idle, low idle, hard starting. Does not sound as if this is your problem. It might actually be wiring, but replacing the ECU and stepper at the same time should answer more questions for you.

Let us know the outcome, we are all interested, simply because a lot of us are tech heads and that's how we get our jollies (well one of the ways, anyway) Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its been a hard road    Its been a hard road  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Its been a hard road
Page 1 of 1