GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO

Go down 
+4
Kiwi_Roy
kiwi dave
moto
Griso Von
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Empty
PostSubject: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:34 pm

I have just purchased my third GRiSO, this one is a 2016 with 1700 original miles, one owner, and it looks brand new. I have a problem that is of
my own making that I need help on. I just got the bike from the West Coast on last Wednesday and immediately started to add some options. Two
of them was the Stucchi CARC stainless steel protector and the other is the small Stucchi roll bar for the CARC.

While installing these two I accidently pinched what I believe to be the speed sensor cable that contains three wires. One of the wires, the brown one got grounded.

I changed the oil and filter (I get it from Harpers, 10W60 Motorex) just to make sure it had the correct oil in it, I get that done and go to start it for the first time since
getting it and I got the red triangle and the ECM not communicating message. I started looking for the problem at where I was working on the CARC and see the cable
is pinched, I strip off the cable insulation and see the brown wire bare in one spot and see what I did. I separated the three wires pulled the seat and find three 15 amp fuses
have popped. I replaced those and then the display was showing normal again but still no start.

Checking the fuses again the second 15 amp fuse from the front had popped again, the others were fine. Changed the fuse again and watched it this time and it popped with
authority as soon as I turned on the key with a bright flash. Whatever is going on is sure a dead short, that is for sure.

Did not really work on any other part of the bike so I am not sure what to think. In the mean time just to make sure I remove the trickle charger cable and the cell phone charger/mount from the bike that was installed from the first owner. I really did not see any problem with either but I took them off anyway.

I can only hope that when the brown wire grounded it did not fry any components like the ECM. Hopefully the fuses stopped that but I still have a fuse that pops (second 15 amp)
as soon as the key is turned on.

Does anyone know what circuit that second 15 amp fuse is for? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. GRiSO Von (Dave)
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:55 pm

I see why you're on your third GRiSO. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
If it's like my 1100 GRiSO, that fuse is labeled B on the fuse box and also B on the wiring diagram, in a very small font. That might help. But I can't really understand the wiring in that part of the wiring diagram.
Kiwi Roy should be along soon to explain all.
Good luck.
Moto

EDIT: The same fuse, on the same circuit, is labeled f2 on the GRiSO 1200 diagram, at component 22.

Last edited by moto on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Fuse B - Tail lights, license plate light, passing ignition relay (15A)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:34 pm

As Dave says
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You must have created a short somewhere.
Old Electricians Trick
Wire a high wattage bulb in place of the fuse, unlike the fuse it won't blow but just operate in series with the fuse load, if your circuit is ok it will operate at partial brightness but every time you move a wire and create a short it will flash to full brightness. You will soon find out where the short is as the flashing light allows you to zoom in on the short.
I usually use an old headlight bulb soldered to a blown fuse.

I would start looking around the rear fender, the number plate light for example.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 pm

As I said, I didn't understand this part of the wiring diagram, but I have studied it more thoroughly.

The components fed from auxiliary fuse B are the (incandescent) license plate bulb and the passing light switch on the left switch cluster, both via the yellow wire from the fuse, but also  the (LED) tail light bulb and the parking light bulb (54), via the yellow wire from the fuse to pin 1 of the light switch connector and back out pin 2 on the yellow/black striped wire.

The wiring diagram as edited by Carl Allison doesn't show clearly which wires are connected when the ignition switch (13) is in the run position, since the six terminal circles seem to all be connected together. The real situation is that the terminals are connected in pairs: 1 to 2, 3 to 4, and 5 to 6. The terminal circles in the diagram should have been represented like this, to show those connections:

o-o o-o o-o

I modified a copy of Carl's diagram to show this and to indicate current flow directions with arrows in a number of places. I can now understand the diagram more easily. I would post it (still in .gif format) if I knew where would be convenient for others get it.

I've just found another version of the GRiSO 1200 wiring diagram in black and white that does show the correct connections between the pairs of terminals in the ignition switch as I described them. It's here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

As always, I'm way behind the two Kiwis, Dave and Roy, in this department.

Moto
Back to top Go down
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks for the help men, I looked at it a little last night. It has a re-located license plate and light with the rear fender eliminated (which I love, I did it on my other two Grisos) and I am going to look into how and where the license plate light is wired. Also going to order a new Odyssey battery
today, mine is prolly as old as the bike and original (3 years) and won't stay charged unless it is on the tender. That could be the cause of my
no start issue.
Even though the display showed 12.2 volts off the tender it may not have the current to spin the starter. Either way
it is getting a new battery ordered. Dave
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 am

GRiSO Von wrote:
... Changed the fuse again and watched it this time and it popped with
authority as soon as I turned on the key with a bright flash.
GRiSO Von wrote:
... I am going to look into how and where the license plate light is wired....

You're on the right track. You can rule out the circuit for the LED tail light (and the parking light in the headlamp housing) by putting in a fuse (or a test bulb) and turning the key counterclockwise to the park position. If the fuse doesn't blow (or the test bulb doesn't light up), the problem is in the yellow-wire circuit feeding the license plate bulb, the headlamp flasher relay, and the starter relay.

Moto
Back to top Go down
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Found out that Odyssey does not make a battery for the GRiSO, I have an Odyssey in my 1100 Sport and have been very happy with it.

Looked around a little and found a Motobatt MBTX16U at Battery Mart and purchased that, they can be reached in the States at 800-405-2121.

I paid $117.20 USD with free FedEx shipping, should have it no later then Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:28 pm

The 16 Doesn't have enough capacity.. You need a 20.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The 16 Doesn't have enough capacity.. You need a 20.

Unless - it's a LiFePO4, otherwise known as a Lithium (Iron) Battery (Note not Lion!) I have a 14 AH in my Sport and it has 40% more CCA than the equivalent Yuasa 20 AH
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:04 pm

It isn't.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am

I live now in Miami guys, I don't care about CCA, I do care about Amp Hours and this battery I just ordered has more then the factory battery had as printed on the battery so it should be good to go, did not want to pony up $250+ for a Lithium, dats fo sure!

Dave
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:59 am

I found this battery as an alternative to the expensive Yuasa that keeps dying in my bike: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I never heard of the brand but apparently it supplies batteries for the motoGP. It has the same attributes as the Yuasa but 330CCA's rather than 270 and only 78€. It just arrived per mail today so going to test it soon.
Back to top Go down
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Got the new battery today. Took off the license plate light (that was changed with the fender eliminator by Ducati Las Vegas) and found the wires
coming out of it were not protected like they should have been and had a 90 degree turn which caused one of the wires to ground. Removed the license plate light for now and installed the new battery and she started right up with no more blown fuses!

Tell that Beetle guy thanks but no thanks! This new battery on that starter in 6th gear would prolly run 40 MPH on the starter alone!

Appreciate all the posts! Dave
Back to top Go down
Griso Von
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Griso Von

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 am

I found the same license plate frame on the Internet (L.E.D. by Radiantz) and purchased it, got it yesterday and installed it
but this time I did it right by drilling a hole and installing a grommet for the wires to go through instead of being trapped and
kinked flat, should last a long time. It is a shame the Dealer did not do a better job on the first one for the original
owner!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:52 pm

Sorry I will have to learn how to post again
[quote="GRiSO Von"]I have just purchased my third GRiSO, this one is a 2016 with 1700 original miles, one owner, and it looks brand new.  I have a problem that is of
my own making that I need help on.  I just got the bike from the West Coast on last Wednesday and immediately started to add some options.  Two
of them was the Stucchi CARC stainless steel protector and the other is the small Stucchi roll bar for the CARC.

While installing these two I accidently pinched what I believe to be the speed sensor cable that contains three wires.  One of the wires, the brown one got grounded.

I changed the oil and filter (I get it from Harpers, 10W60 Motorex) just to make sure it had the correct oil in it, I get that done and go to start it for the first time since
getting it and I got the red triangle and the ECM not communicating message.  I started looking for the problem at where I was working on the CARC and see the cable
is pinched, I strip off the cable insulation and see the brown wire bare in one spot and see what I did.  I separated the three wires pulled the seat and find three 15 amp fuses
have popped.  I replaced those and then the display was showing normal again but still no start.

Checking the fuses again the second 15 amp fuse from the front had popped again, the others were fine.  Changed the fuse again and watched it this time and it popped with
authority as soon as I turned on the key with a bright flash.  Whatever is going on is sure a dead short, that is for sure.

Did not really work on any other part of the bike so I am not sure what to think.  In the mean time just to make sure I remove the trickle charger cable and the cell phone charger/mount from the bike that was installed from the first owner.  I really did not see any problem with either but I took them off anyway.

I can only hope that when the brown wire grounded it did not fry any components like the ECM.  Hopefully the fuses stopped that but I still have a fuse that pops (second 15 amp)
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GRiSO Von wrote:
I have just purchased my third GRiSO, this one is a 2016 with 1700 original miles, one owner, and it looks brand new.  I have a problem that is of
my own making that I need help on.  I just got the bike from the West Coast on last Wednesday and immediately started to add some options.  Two

While installing these two I accidently pinched what I believe to be the speed sensor cable that contains three wires.  One of the wires, the brown one got grounded.

getting it and I got the red triangle and the ECM not communicating message.  I started looking for the problem at where I was working on the CARC and see the cable
is pinched, I strip off the cable insulation and see the brown wire bare in one spot and see what I did.  I separated the three wires pulled the seat and find three 15 amp fuses
have popped.  I replaced those and then the display was showing normal again but still no start.

Checking the fuses again the second 15 amp fuse from the front had popped again, the others were fine.  Changed the fuse again and watched it this time and it popped with
authority as soon as I turned on the key with a bright flash.  Whatever is going on is sure a dead short, that is for sure.

Did not really work on any other part of the bike so I am not sure what to think.  In the mean time just to make sure I remove the trickle charger cable and the cell phone charger/mount from the bike that was installed from the first owner.  I really did not see any problem with either but I took them off anyway.

I can only hope that when the brown wire grounded it did not fry any components like the ECM.  Hopefully the fuses stopped that but I still have a fuse that pops (second 15 amp)

Does anyone know what circuit that second 15 amp fuse is for?  Has anyone had this happen to them?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.  GRiSO Von (Dave)
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:04 pm

Unplug the speedo sensor from the loom, replace the fuse and see if it blows again. If it does it isn't the speedo sensor damage that's causing it to pop. If it doesn't? Replace the sensor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO   I have an electrical  problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

I have an electrical problem with my new for me 2016 GRiSO
Page 1 of 1