GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

A word of caution....

Go down 
+4
ratso88
LBC Tenni
Street
Pete Roper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

A word of caution.... Empty
PostSubject: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:33 pm

If you are told that one of your valve guides is buggered make sure that the shop that is replacing it is at least borderline competent. Little things like making the new guide out of the same material as the original, reaming it correctly and making it the right length are a good starting point.

Failure to do this can have slightly worrying results.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Luckily we have a second hand head and barrel and piston as we wrecked out another motor and while we used the RH side one on a Norge a couple of years ago we still have the LH one. It will need all new valves and springs though.

We found parts of the exhaust valve guide and piston up the inlet manifold so it obviously enjoyed destroying itself!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Jeezus, that does not look good.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm

To be brutally honest Pete it doesn't get a lot worse! Laughing
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 pm

The sound must have been horrific! Shocked
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:50 am

I have a piston from a Suzuki DR650 that looks very similar sitting on the "trophy" shelf.

Wasn't me that f'd it up. Bike was free to me. Free bikes can get expensive though.

Pete, not the end of the world but, damn!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 pm

That's a bit betterer!

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Much betterer!
Back to top Go down
voulga77
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
voulga77

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 am

Opened my 2V engine at 40.000km and the valve guides where fucked up. Had to remake all of them.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 pm

That's odd. I had a 1200 Sport 2V in at 150,000 and we only had to K-line the exhausts, inlets were fine. Valves would of gone around again as well! That bike was ridden mostly two-up and heavily laden so I dunno what happened to yours.... scratch
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 am

I just got my computer back from the repair shop (these things happen in threes) and saw the pic of the "new" piston. Thanks so much for doing this Pete. Did it need a new con rod as well?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 am

Given your circumstances we've taken the risk on the rod. It took a biff but one we judge to be non critical. We can't give a categorical guarantee but really we're confident it hasn't been seriously compromised.

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:17 pm

wyno wrote:
I just got my computer back from the repair shop (these things happen in threes) and saw the pic of the "new" piston. Thanks so much for doing this Pete. Did it need a new con rod as well?

So it's your bike Wyno?
How many km's have you put on since Pete & Michael 'refrubished it', which was what about 3 years ago??
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Lots, but this is all down to the clowns who 'Repaired' the loose valve guide.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:11 pm

It has always astonished me how someone can Attack a project with total disregard for the value of the thing being worked on. These A-Holes should be banned from touching anything bigger than a push mower.
The GRiSO is a tough beastie, it's good you were able to save it Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Lots, but this is all down to the clowns who 'Repaired' the loose valve guide.

Sorry, yeah, I get that Pete. Wasn't meaning to imply anything.
I was just curious as you brought mine back here when you took Wyno's bike down to Geelong after the work.

Last edited by Clancy on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:53 pm

It's done a bit over 60,000km since the total teardown Craig. The only thing that went wrong, until now, was the valve guide going oval.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 pm

Well I picked up it's new, freshly serviced, head today with all new valves and springs so it should be ready later in the week.

You've got to start looking after it better Michael. Your front brake pads had less than a mm of friction material on them! 😤
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 pm

Thanks Pete. I will start looking after it better. It's funny that you tell me my front brakes were very worn, and I believe you, yet Peter Stevens, at the last tyre change, tld me that the rear pads needed replacing, I don't believe them. And I won't be going anywhere near them again. Ever. Please pm me to let me know how much it will be and how much you want me to pay each week. Many thanks to you and Michael again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A word of caution....   A word of caution.... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

A word of caution....
Page 1 of 1