GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Whats the word on tires? City / Touring

Go down 
+3
tsheep2
JohnA
whyrichard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
whyrichard
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
whyrichard

Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Empty
PostSubject: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Mon May 30, 2022 5:41 pm

Hello!

Whats the word on tires? My rear has a slow leak at only 6k miles... I ride in new york city, which is rough on tires, and i occassionally go for a week trip out of the city... what do you recommend?

And where is a good online source for buying?

Thanks,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Mon May 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Weren’t you warned when you signed up on the ghetto that your now allowed to ask about oil or tires? 😄
You’ll get 100 different answers. I buy my tires from a shop that puts them on for me so they can make a little money. What is causing your leak? Do you know? Could be leaky spokes if you have spoked wheels.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2022 8:18 am

Hi,
    Yeah, tyres are a personal preference and riding style question.
Having said that, here's my 2 cents worth.

Rule 1
Always buy the stickiest tyre you can afford.

Bridgestone S22   Good tyre for grip, could get to the edges okay. Gives warning if it's too cold
                          Wear, didn't last long (IMO) maybe 8-9000km (which is okay mileage)
                           Also didn't like the way they wore, rear tyre became very 'v' shaped
                          Handling, always felt like the front wanted to tuck under in the corners.
                          In the Wet, stable and good grip but i'm a wuss in the rain

Michelin Road 5    Warm tyre before thrashing it, gives warning if too cold but not much.
                          Wear, good even wear all over the tyre, doesn't cut out badly in areas
                          Expecting 9-10,000km of life
                          Handling, evokes confidence until you find the not warm enough point
                          In the wet, stable with okay grip, doesn't like shiny tar spots

Disclaimer ( i wore a sticky set of tyres out in 6000kms on a gilera supermotard )

So, as you can see, depends how hard you ride, your wallet, (in NZ tyres are expensive, italian guy i met confirmed this too), how much your tyre shops requires for said rubber and weather conditions you ride in.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2022 9:35 am

For me -riding style = occasionally aggressive road rider, fast country roads, motorways and technical twisties, no track days,  10% of riding with a pillion and luggage

Maxxis SuperMax ST
-cheap- Light steering tyre and rolls in to corners nicely, very grippy and wet & dry, warms up quickly, but short life 3,000 miles till they square off and white-line

Metzler Roadtec01
- premium price - (just fitted) OK but not as brilliant as they are on other bikes (e.g. Ducati Monster 1200). Give 6,000 mile life on 140hp before white-lining
Back to top Go down
whyrichard
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
whyrichard

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2022 5:12 pm

Would this tire work well?

Metzeler Roadtec 01 Rear Tire (180/55ZR-17 HWM)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks!
r
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2022 6:44 pm

whyrichard wrote:
Would this tire work well?

Metzeler Roadtec 01 Rear Tire (180/55ZR-17 HWM)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
That is the tyre size and model I have fitted. Zooming on the picture it has the same 73W load rating that I was recommended but i don't know what "HWM" means.

Like I said above: with my usage in a 8ºC to 20ºC wet climate, it is grippy long lived tyre
But the pair of Roadtecs do not feel as brilliantly accurate and neutral as they did on my Monster 1200s. That is probably down to width, the front wheels and rims are the same but the rear is different. The GRiSO wears a 180 section tyre on the a 5.5" rim the Ducati wears a 190 section tyre did on a 6" rim.

Given that my next tyres will be Michelin Pilot Road
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:45 pm

I am 60 miles North of you by Harriman park. I buy my tires from Cycle Gear and they install and balance for $25 each wheel at the Hasbrouck Heights location. Jeremy is the Eminence Grise (manager). You must remove and replace the wheels yourself.

I go with these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:54 pm

Shinko? Really? You admit you don't need the stickiest raciest tires? How dare you.

I'm running a pair of ContiMotions at the moment. Nice ride, good feel, and plenty of grip for this olde pharte. Oh, yeah.....and cheap.

My last three sets were Road 5 and I got about 46xx miles out of the fronts while the rears might have gone another 1,000. My front wears out on the right side first. The Cherohala Skyway might have something to do with that.

Oz1200Guzzi and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:00 am

rick pope wrote:
Shinko?  Really?  You admit you don't need the stickiest raciest tires?  How dare you.

I had the bike really leaned over yesterday until I took it off the kickstand...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:57 am

Tyres* are good. Use some.

*Tires as well

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the word on tires? City / Touring   Whats the word on tires? City / Touring Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Whats the word on tires? City / Touring
Page 1 of 1