GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Problem with installing new throttle cables

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Problem with installing new throttle cables Empty
PostSubject: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:49 am

Hey all,

Yesterday my throttle cable snapped on the highway (perhaps karma biting back for spraying it with WD40 2 weeks ago) so today I spend a good 2.5 hours installing a new set I bought at Stein-dinse, this one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Installation was a bitch as the cables were extremely tight even though they should have the exact same cable length. Unfortunately even after I finally installed it, the throttle body is no longer able to close fully  so the bike idles at 5k RPM. Obviously I adjusted the cables to be as loose as possible from the adjustment nut.

Two dumb questions:

- Is there another way to adjust the cables so they have more slack that I have overlooked?
- Will a more direct route for the cables help? Atm they run through the headlight assembly as that's how the old cables were mounted. I could run the behind the headlight assembly instead. However will that actually help since the cables are still the same lenght?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:20 am

The two cables are have different length inners at the very least. You haven't got them arse about have you?
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am

That would be embarrassing considering the ‘open’ cable has a metallic bottom part while the ‘close’ cable is completely black. But no the open and close cables are not switched.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:32 pm

Errrrr? Can you post up a pic? Both cables have an angled, solid portion with a brace on the end that locks against the plate on the left hand throttlebody below the cam.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 pm

Sure thing, I’ll post some pictures when I get home in 8 hours.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I figured out what the problem was. The opener cable had a manufacturing error. The angled end where it connects to the throttlebody was angled incorrectly in relation to the raised edges of the brace causing the cable to either go into the cylinder (not possible) or when turned so the cable runs alongside the cylinder the raised edge creates extra distance. I ground off part of the raised edge so it fits and now the cable works, but just barely! Its on the loosest possible setting and there is only a mm or two of play when twisting the throttle. Thankfully I like a responsive throttle.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

hhmm...this is good to know as I had just 2 weeks ago ordered a spare set of throttle cables for my Norge from Stein Dinse...I'll have to make sure they don't have a factory defect in the build like this.

By the way, what fantastic customer services from Stein Dinse...just a couple of days from ordering to my doorstep from Germany to Houston, Texas.  Outstanding!
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 am

PJPR01 wrote:
hhmm...this is good to know as I had just 2 weeks ago ordered a spare set of throttle cables for my Norge from Stein Dinse...I'll have to make sure they don't have a factory defect in the build like this.

By the way, what fantastic customer services from Stein Dinse...just a couple of days from ordering to my doorstep from Germany to Houston, Texas.  Outstanding!

Good luck! Yes their delivery speed is superb, had my cables 32 hours after I ordered them. Though I'd have preferred a longer delivery time if the cables were without defects/better quality. On a whole, you can see that these cables are a step lower quality-wise than the OEM cables. They are lighter, not as stiff and the finish on the end parts is less rugged & precise. But you get what you pay for and at less than 50€ for both cables quality/price wise they are better than the expensive OEM cables.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 am

So you got a pair of cables half price of OE and they are inferior quality and don't fit but this is better because they arrived quickly. scratch

Given the fact that my OE cables still work fine, apart from the rubber boots at the adjusters having succumbed to Oz UV light about eight years ago, I would say the 'Savings' aren't worth it. If mine shat the bed tommorow that would mean that the cost over 12 years of ownership would of been €9.33 per annum rather than €4.16 per annum.

Just call me Mr. extravagant but an extra €5 a year for something that actually works and FITS doesn't seem too bad.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:27 am

Nah, you are right but that’s not what I meant. They are in my opinion better price/quality wise, but not because they arrived quickly. The OEM cables are imho unreasonably priced. Almost as bad as the clutch microswitch cable that they ask >100€ for...
Sure installing these took more time due to the modification I had to do, but other than that they seem fine and solid cables even if the build quality seems slightly worse than the OEM cables (and the size being a very tight fit).
As for the quality of the OEM cables, well they could be better at that price point (and although I made a mistake two weeks ago lubing them with WD40, I don’t think that by itself caused the cable break):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with installing new throttle cables   Problem with installing new throttle cables Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Problem with installing new throttle cables
Page 1 of 1