GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil level on dipstick

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Xcountry41
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Xcountry41

Oil level on dipstick Empty
PostSubject: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi folks,
Well just completed my second upper sump spacer gasket replacement this week. Have to say the GRiSO was a fair bit more of a PITA due to the kickstand and exhaust. Did not have any spare exhaust header gaskets so really did not want to mess with the pipes to get the stand off. 
So my question is around oil level. Did some searching and found some info, expected that talks about stated capacity being a “little too much” . On the Stelvio dipstick that correlates to about halfway between the low shoulder and upper shoulder on the stick. I’m finding the plastics dipstick on the GRiSO frustrating to read but think it’s reading about halfway between the marks. Can anyone tell me what I should be shooting for? Total volume of oil so far is approx. 3.4litres. As always, any guidance is much appreciated!
Regards, Gary
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Yup, the motors are identical, (Your's is a '13 I believe?) yes the sticks are a pain, yes aim for about half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks with the bike upright. Once you have it right stick the bike on is side stand and check the oil again. Wherever it is on the stick that's your 'Full' mark for easy checking.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2020 10:23 am

Xcountry41,  I too found it difficult to read the dipstick. I took a flat file and removed one of the four 'fins' that form the stick. This gave me a flat spot on the stick between the two indicator marks. It made it much easier to read the level. I considered drilling a hole through the stick at the half way mark but I didn't want to weaken the stick more than necessary. I find the flat spot is more than adequate to read the oil. I also found that using a total of 3.3 liters puts the oil level when hot exactly on the midway point. That's with the bike vertical. YMMV.

Bill Hagan and Bill Dee like this post

Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Hiya - mind if I jump in on this thread ?

I've had a discussion with Mark on the FB site (on the back of someone else's question) regarding overfilling the oil.  I left it to the dealers who used 3.5 litres - Mark's advised me to drain & refill with 3 litres, which I'll do as soon as I can hold of an o-ring for the sump plug - for some reason they're a rare beastie at the moment.  

From what I've read, the level wants to be mid-point between the "min" & "max" marks on the dip-stick.  The manual advises that the level needs to be read with the stick out (as opposed to being screwed back in) - however, the manual also shows a different stick to the one I have fitted in my bike  (152 mm long) & Mark tells me not to trust any photos in a Guzzi manual.  

So can anyone who has a 2015 model with the same dipstick, tell me if the level is measured with the stick screwed in, or rested on top of the threads ?   This is the stick I have

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Just get it halfway between the marks with the stick just resting on the threads, bike upright.

Then rest it on the sidestand and check it again. That's as much as you should ever have in it but ride it and as long as it doesn't drop below the 'Add' mark, even on the sidestand, it'll be fine.

You'll probably find it will use a bit and then stop. Wherever it stops and doesn't use any more? That's your new 'Full' mark.

Bill Hagan and Dave R like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 am

Hi Dave,

If it was me, I’d drain the oil a little and reuse the drain plug washer again. I’ve done that with no issues and no leaks. You don’t want oil going where it shouldn’t cause it’s over filled.

Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 am

JohnA wrote:
Hi Dave,

If it was me, I’d drain the oil a little and reuse the drain plug washer again. I’ve done that with no issues and no leaks. You don’t want oil going where it shouldn’t cause it’s over filled.

Thanks John

I'm just on my way to pick up a couple of washers from a local Aprilia stockist - turns out one of the countries largest Aprilia independent parts stockist is nine miles up the road from me !! My intention is to drain out all the oil (it's only been in a couple of months & due to the current situation, has only done a couple of hundred miles), measure out exactly three litres & use that as a starting point. I'm gonna drain it into a plastic tub (just been cleaning it out with brake cleaner), then put it into a graduated plastic container so I can see where I'm at with it, then fill as necessary to the mid point as Peter (& others) have suggested

Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:30 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Just get it halfway between the marks with the stick just resting on the threads, bike upright.

Then rest it on the sidestand and check it again. That's as much as you should ever have in it but ride it and as long as it doesn't drop below the 'Add' mark, even on the sidestand, it'll be fine.

You'll probably find it will use a bit and then stop. Wherever it stops and doesn't use any more? That's your new 'Full' mark.

Thanks for confirming it for me Peter - much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Dave R
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dave R

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:17 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Hiya Peter.

Done as you suggested - taken almost 500 ml out to put it on the half way mark.  Is that halfway on cold or hot ?  I've checked it at about 80 degrees

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil level on dipstick   Oil level on dipstick Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 am

Cold or hot doesn't make a lot of difference. Drain down times are pretty quick on Guzzi motors.

Dave R likes this post

Back to top Go down

Oil level on dipstick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: