GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Stock seat - how comfortable?

Go down 
+31
MrGPz
Davetti
PunkScout
EricS
nblades
Papa Lazarou
Pete Roper
Seafrontpete
WAKEY
The Saint
Street
Tod.
garyclem
Tolle09
mick.jones
rboe
wardest
Grisodude
Ad B
TalkingGriso
LBC Tenni
DungeonMaster
Andy in NZ
MrBob
cytocycle
Grisonut
beetle
Enzo the baker
pjm
Steak
skytzo
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
skytzo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
skytzo

Stock seat - how comfortable? Empty
PostSubject: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:05 am

I know this is very subjective, but I have to ask because every bike I've ever owned, the stock seat has been anything from mildly uncomfortable to a weapon of ASS destruction. I've always ended up going aftermarket, whether it's Corbin, Sargent or custom modified. Even on my current bike, a Concours14, which is supposed to be a long distance tourer, I had to replace the seat with a Sargent because it would cut off circulation to your nether regions after a half an hour.

So, how do you guys feel about the GRiSO's stock seat? Looking around, I see the only aftermarket option is the Corbin and IMHO it's a bit ugly (and expensive of course). It's funny how you plan out the mods you're going to do to a bike before you even own one, but I'd like to hear some opinions from the guys that actually plant their asses on them. TIA.  Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:47 pm

For me, the stock seats are just fine. I've stuck with the stockers on all three GRiSOs I have owned. I am not a fan of the butt cups that most custom saddlemakers always want to shape into them. 50 miles or 700 miles makes no difference to me, for some the GRiSO's saddle is right up our alley, so to speak...

It does seem though that you have a track record of an extra fussy butt, so my guess is that you will want to go the custom route. Corbin is the easy choice as they have a gunfighter style seat ready made for the GRiSO that doesn't require your providing a stock pan. Certainly any of the usual custom saddle makers can square you away. Just don't say Russell Day-Long unless you want to unleash the scorn of every discerning GRiSisti here.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
pjm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
pjm

PostSubject: sore butt   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi skytzo,Im a lot like you,having owned quite a few bikes over the years ive never found a seat that I could ride any further than 150/200 miles without having to move about/get off to get some circulation back into my arse.The GRiSO is in this mileage range.ive tried a gel seat with no improvement and I just have to assume its the way I am built.Ive been told I am a pain in the arse also.regards pat
Back to top Go down
Enzo the baker
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Enzo the baker

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm

The GRiSO's  stock seat is generally better than most I have had, although with a sheepskin and lowered pegs it's really comfortable. I had a Tiger 800 Roadie for two years prior to the GRiSO. Now there was a truly shitty seat, narrow, hard and sloped too far toward the front.  I rarely ride more than 200 miles at a stretch. Got a K1200 GT now for that stuff....
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:06 pm

The stock seat makes my arse cry out in anguish after a couple of hours. I have the butt ugly Corbin. It is extremely butt comfortable.

I love you 

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:37 pm

You sissies are too spoiled! Laughing 
Nothing wrong with the OEM seat... I have yet to be sore after an all day ride on the mighty GRiSO. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
I'm talking 7am though 8pm with only stops for re-fuel and a quick bite mid day.
Back to top Go down
cytocycle
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
cytocycle

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:43 pm

as I have found all stock seats suck.. the zx14 was the first most comfortable seat I have owned.. I don't care for the Corbin tractor forming which if you like to move around on the bike and hang off it bites you in the sides and plus the fiberglass pan weighs a fortune. The Sargent seat I got for the zx14 was amazing. I am looking at sending my 2nd seat to Sargent to get them to fix it. My Sit bones on my stock seat start to be soar after about 40 minutes.

I could break my ass in like a bicycle but I will instead be changing my seat to make it more comfortable plus I want a brown seat like the SE edition as it looks better :-)
Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 am

I use a strap on for the long hauls (AirHawk tour cushion) Looks weird BUTT feels good.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:34 am

MrBob wrote:
I use a strap on for the long hauls

Shocked 

In GRiSO we trust!

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andy in NZ
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Andy in NZ

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:06 am

Greetings
A strap on eh! I prefer to get my kicks from riding.
Seriously for long hauls I use an Airhawk too.
Very comfy
Adios
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:06 am

Stock seat is OK. I agree that I want some relief after a while but the gas tank runs out before my bum does.

DM
Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 pm

The previous owner of my Tenni sent the stock seat to Sargent for re-stuffing. I didn't ask how much he paid for that, but I think Sargent did excellent work on it. It retained the original appearance for the most part and is all-day comfortable. The Corbin seat also came with my bike. I find it less comfortable, though I suppose it would be ok if all you need to do is ride in a straight line all day. Beyond that, I don't like the "tractor seat" form of the Corbin at all. It seriously interferes with body positioning and quick cornering. It's a cruiser seat.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Corbin is for looks really. I don't think they engineer the comfort part...
Sargent is a better way to go IMO.
Back to top Go down
TalkingGriso
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
TalkingGriso

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Let me step up in defense of my Corbin gunfighter. First, I think it beautifully complements the GRiSO's lines, particularly as it tapers off to join the tail section. Second, it did take a while to break in, but once it did, it's very comfortable for my bum. Finally, there are two positions to ride it: up front, where're it's rounded against the tank and very easy to hang off while aggressively cornering, and then back in the 'cup' when yer just toddling along.

No, it's not perfect. My only complaints are the lack of passenger space and that the locking pin keeps backing out.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm with TG. The Corbin is super comfy, looks the business and if you can't ride stupid quick thru the tight stuff with it then you have a problem with the size if your arse.  Suspect 

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:37 am

Hi,

after riding my special Harley for nearly 20 years...
with a only 3 cm thick seat, I could drive all day on it.
The GRiSO seat is as my sofa, very good.  cheers 
If I had the same room as on my sofa, I could sleep onto it...  Sleep 
Last year a 2 weeks holiday, every day 6 - 8 hours driving, with only 2 days rest.
No problem... chairs in a restaurant are less comfortable...  Ooh La La

My wife has gone from a little good looking small place to a heavenly coach...
Does only complaining about my speed...  scratch 

Ad B
Back to top Go down
skytzo
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
skytzo

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:15 am

LBC Tenni wrote:
The previous owner of my Tenni sent the stock seat to Sargent for re-stuffing. I didn't ask how much he paid for that, but I think Sargent did excellent work on it. It retained the original appearance for the most part and is all-day comfortable. The Corbin seat also came with my bike. I find it less comfortable, though I suppose it would be ok if all you need to do is ride in a straight line all day. Beyond that, I don't like the "tractor seat" form of the Corbin at all. It seriously interferes with body positioning and quick cornering. It's a cruiser seat.
I have a custom Sargent on my Concours14 - I bought it on eBay from a guy who sent his stock seat to them to be reworked. I like having custom foam and covering on a stock seat pan because the fit is perfect. I think Sargent foam works the best for my ass - if I didn't have to stop for gas I could literally ride all day on it. Since I bought mine used, I have no idea what they charge to do custom work either. If I do end up getting a GRiSO and I find the stock seat to be an issue, this will likely be the option I'll explore first.

As far as Corbin goes, I had one for a few years on my ZRX1200R....I found it to be comfortable on long rides in spite of the rock hard foam (funny how that works) but it definitely took more effort to move around on when playing in the twisty bits because of the "tractor" shape. Plus, why do their seat pans have to weigh 900 lbs?  scratch
Back to top Go down
Grisodude
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Grisodude

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:59 am

Stock with sheep skin for me.
I have found I fit the GRiSO like a glove.
I have stock everything.

Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:19 am

I did 10 hours in the saddle. everything is stock.
Hands were sore legs tired but all good.
My pillion hates the seat but perhaps its the position of the pegs.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am

The stock GRiSO seat is the most comfortable Stock Guzzi I have owned. It's not that good.

I had a stock Quota seat, it was better than a 1998 EV seat that I almost bought but the Quota seat had to go. Had a local guy do a custom job for me. I now have a used Russell Day Long for the GRiSO; by far the most comfortable cycle seat I've ever used. It has the looks only a butt could love (long ride test coming up so I reserve the right to revise my opinion Smile  ).

I've sat on a few Corbins, a gunfighter on an old CB750 showed the most promise. I think there are Corbin butts out there and non-Corbin butts. I'm in the not crowd. But it may work for you.

Side bar: I'm looking to modify my Honda CB1100 and XR650L seats too. They are not bad, just not good enough.
Back to top Go down
mick.jones
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
mick.jones

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 am

Love the GRiSO (2014 model) but found the seat very uncomfortable, purchased a Corbin which works great. I live near enough to Hollister to do a "ride in" where they build the saet while you wait, adjust as needed.
Back to top Go down
Tolle09
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Tolle09

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:50 pm

When I had a GRiSO I took the seat off and rode with my arse on the airbox, HTFU Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:12 pm

It's completely subjective. I LOVE the saddle, others hate it. Decide when you ride.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
garyclem
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
garyclem

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:12 pm

when riding motorways etc, 2-3 hours sees me desperate to get off the GRiSO ............. absolutely the most comfortable bike ever has been a Futura, closely followed by a GTR 1400 (Concourse). Could easily ride 12 hours, have done, on either. I have an Airhawk for the GRiSO if needs be.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 am

Can't find anything wrong with the stock seat...
I'm 5.7" with a small butt so that might help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock seat - how comfortable?   Stock seat - how comfortable? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Stock seat - how comfortable?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next