GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cranks but won't start when hot

Go down 
+2
Kiwi_Roy
Patlikestolean
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Excellent Roy!! I replaced the fuel filter and short hose between filter and outlet- no improvement.
Then I checked fuel pressure cold-47 p.s.i.. So I warmed it up and let it heat soak 3-4 minutes.
Cranked but wouldn't start (as usual). So I checked the fuel pressure hot and it was 8 p.s.i.!!!
Anybody have any advise on how to proceed? Should I just replace entire fuel pump assembly?
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:11 pm

I see that the pump itself is available from af1 for $56. I think I'll order that and a new long flex hose and change it all out. Thanks again to all who helped out!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:22 pm

If the pomp is running it's most likely the pressure relief valve which have been known to get rusty and sticky.

I have a link somewhere for a source but I'll have to dig it out. If the AF1 price is for the entire pump assembly I'd just go that route. Make sure you drain and dry the tank thoroughly before installing the new pump.

Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:21 pm

AF1 price is just for the electric pump not the entire assembly. I was looking at the relief valve too. Googled the number stamped on it but got nowhere.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:31 pm

I'll see if I can find it again.
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks Pete
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:18 pm

Well I replaced my fuel pump and pressure regulator, put it all back together and... no improvement.
I researched the symptoms (not specific to any vehicle) and came across a site that covered fuel injection issues. The first one on the list was "difficult to start when hot".  So I ordered 2 new IWP 189s.
Put them in today after work and she runs perfectly! Beetle's first suggestion was injectors and they seemed fine. I wonder if they behaved properly in my hand but then acted up when installed (compression, heat etc.) Anyway, she's all good now, and I'm much more familiar with her.
Many thanks for all the help!!!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Very weird. Glad you sorted it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cranks but won't start when hot   Cranks but won't start when hot - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cranks but won't start when hot
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2