GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Anyone install these items?

Go down 
+5
little750
Robinson_Spike
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
Frstrtdmac
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

Anyone install these items? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:43 pm

I’ve done searches and research and not really any concrete answer.. so I’d though I’d just ask you all the experts:

Anyone install these mods:
1. Side license bracket (vertical off the swing arm?)
2. Small headlight fairing other than the dart? Eg: rizoma aluminum?
3. Rizoma race retro handlebar
4. Motogadget mini turn signals off stock front and rear without tail tidy?
5. Lastly a 19” front wheel?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Nope, never, sorry!
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:08 am

Really? Or being sarcastic?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:34 am

Frstrtdmac wrote:

Quote :

No, but there's a few who have on this forum, I believe.

Quote :

Yes. I have had the big Guzzi screen, Honda style cafe racer screen, Dart Marlin & Piranha, and currently a Stryker fairing.

Quote :

No. I've had Aprilia Mana bars, 2 x bars whose manufacture I don't recall, and currently Jota style bars.

Quote :

Not Motogadget, but I'm currently running Mishimoto LEDS, which are the same size.

Quote :

Good god, man! Why?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Frstrtdmac wrote:
I’ve done searches and research and not really any concrete answer.. so I’d though I’d just ask you all the experts:

Yes, er no, mines a rear mount off the swing arm.
Yes, made my own mounts
No
Yes
WTF?
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:27 pm

What’s the problem? I want to make the bike my own.. u would love for a 19” front tire. I’m not taking this on the race track.
Back to top Go down
little750
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
little750

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Go for it let us know how it works.
Back to top Go down
Robinson_Spike
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Robinson_Spike

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:44 pm

I used the mounting blocks from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
marcdavo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
marcdavo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:09 pm

19 inch front tyre ? My goodness, you would have to start your turn in three corners ahead.
Do you only have straight roads where you live ? scratch
Perhaps a stelvio ?
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks for that link Robinson!

Marcdavo, no why? Have you rode a bike with larger than a 17” wheel? There are tons of bikes: triumph, Harley, etc.. that have 19” and bigger. I’m not taking the bike to a track. Why would I start my turn three corners ahead?

Im just seeing if anyone has really done some fun and different things other than bolt on a windshield or exhaust?

Here are my last 2 bikes. They were customs. Had no problems with power and no problems with turning. City or twisters.

Again not super bikes!
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Just buy a V85. Front wheel is already 19". And you get a bonus tube installed too!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Frstrtdmac wrote:

Marcdavo, no why? Have you rode a bike with larger than a 17” wheel? There are tons of bikes: triumph, Harley, etc.. that have 19” and bigger. I’m not taking the bike to a track. Why would I start my turn three corners ahead?

Im just seeing if anyone has really done some fun and different things other than bolt on a windshield or exhaust?

Here are my last 2 bikes. They were customs. Had no problems with power and no problems with turning. City or twisters.

Again not super bikes!

It's not simply the wheel size alone, it's the effect it will have on the steering geometry. Just putting a 19 inch wheel on a GRiSO will make it handle like a fridge.

There are plenty of people here who have done other things than simply "Bolting on a windshield and exhaust" but most modifications are aimed at making the machine handle and perform better or rider comfort.

If you want to do what many would consider weird, ugly stuff to your bike that's fine, albeit a waste to most of us but adding a larger wheel with a skinnier front tyre to a vehicle with an already long wheelbase will increase rake and trail further slowing it's already ponderous steering. If that is a trade off you're willing to accept to get the desired appearance all well and good but it leaves me scratching my head a bit. A Stelvio wheel will fit into the forks easily enough although you might need a new spindle and spacer to center it and it would of course need a new front mudguard. There also might be clearance problems between the wheel and belt cover and mudguard and bottom yoke unless you used yokes with a greater offset. That at least might help reduce the trail a bit and make the steering a little less supertankery.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm

Pete, that is the answer I was looking for.

So question, assume clearance is nonissue and yokes with a greater offset to reduce the trail, I would also think you would need to lower the front end a bit to match stock?

Reason for a 19” is not only looks, but it’s that blend of bobber/cafe Italian style. Moto guzzi early on had this and they were so nice. I know that they didn’t have large rear tires, but trying to go for something a bit different.
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Then again the Harley and the victory had longer rake with trail number and they turned just fine..

Just seeing if anyone had attempted to do so?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Frstrtdmac wrote:
Pete, that is the answer I was looking for.

So question, assume clearance is nonissue and yokes with a greater offset to reduce the trail, I would also think you would need to lower the front end a bit to match stock?

Reason for a 19” is not only looks, but it’s that blend of bobber/cafe Italian style. Moto guzzi early on had this and they were so nice. I know that they didn’t have large rear tires, but trying to go for something a bit different.

Shorter forks or slide 'em up through the yokes I suppose.

Most if not all older Guzzis use identical diameter wheels, (Not sure about Loops? They might of had a bigger front than rear?) but all the Tonti's up until some models of Cali1100 had either 18 inches front and rear, 16 inches front and rear or an 18 rear and a 16 front. When the V11 came along they went to 17 inchers front and rear. The CARC series are all 17 both ends apart from the Stelvio and the Bellagio.
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 pm

So would the stelvio or the v85 have the correct 19” wheel with hubs and yoke?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Stelvio. Pity you're so far away, I have a Stelvio wheel gathering dust in my munt pile.

tazio likes this post

Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Where are u Peter? Can you ship?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Australia. I really don't think it would be worth it. Try somewhere more local like Pinwall.
Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:31 am

Thanks.. I’ll take a look
Back to top Go down
marcdavo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
marcdavo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Frstrtdmac wrote:

Again not super bikes!

Your bike Frstrtdmac.
I suggested the stelvio for its larger front wheel, and possible fit for your purpose. Pete added much more than I could.
Three turn ahead was just a bit of sardonic Aussie humor. Not meant literally or to offend.

I have ridden and owned bikes with larger front wheels. Currently own a Vstrom with a 19/17 combination, and I know how slow that turns in. However its geometry is set up for the larger wheel and is more unpaved road orientated. As kids we added stupid big front wheels to pushbikes and chopped them etc. None of it worked out well, but it was fun.

Its ironic you show pics of a Vrod. A couple of years ago rode through an accident where a Vrod didnt quite make it through a tight right hand corner. Talking with a couple of blokes he was riding with and he had just put a larger front wheel on his bike.

Anyway, hope you achieve your desired aims. No ill will intended, just a discussion.
Back to top Go down
YanksTT
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
YanksTT

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Here's my GRiSO with a 19" stelvio wheel. Hwy410 by Rainier

mickfinn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Frstrtdmac
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Frstrtdmac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 am

Nice Yanks! How does it turn? Any other pics??
Back to top Go down
YanksTT
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
YanksTT

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 pm

It needed more bar input. Off power, no hands, bike went straight. I enjoyed the set up; need a stelvio.
I've gone back to the 17" front wheel and found a better spring for the Wilbur shock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install these items?   Anyone install these items? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Anyone install these items?
Page 1 of 1