GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Wanted 8v speedo for parts

Go down 
+8
sideshowbob
rick pope
Street
Bulldog9
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
beetle
Evans
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Wanted 8v speedo for parts Empty
PostSubject: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:01 pm

I've rebuilt my 1200 8v GRiSO incorporating a different speedo/rev counter.
I'm currently running my original unit out of the way in a tail tidy that I made.

I've established that it is feasible to start and run the bike without the speedo/rev counter connected.

Mark (Beetle) has pointed out that there is an air pressure sensor incorporated in the original unit.
To run without the speedo and associated electronics will require rewiring systems and loss of some functions.
This doesn't strike me as the best way forward.

If I can locate a scrap speedo that I can dissect I'm going to see if it's feasible to duplicate the electronics in a smaller
form, with the ability to control inputs /outputs.

I don't know if this is doable but if it is it will allow for personal customization without major changes to the original setup.

If anyone has any opinions as to the feasibility etc I'd like to know them.

Fortunately my bike is performing fine anyway and my customized GRiSO has proved to be worth the effort.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:29 pm

As I've previously mentioned to you, the pressure data is sent over CAN bus. You might be able to utilise the Arduino to mimic the Dash. Maybe. Of course, you will need to determine which data is pressure specific.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Sorry but since electronics is out of my comfort zone I have no idea what a CAN bus is.
Nuts & bolts of systems etc I can deal with but the nitty gritty of what's what
and what's doable I'll have to rely on the more switched on experts.

I really appreciate the advice and help that you and Pete have provided and your map is
working brilliantly.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Put simply, and that is as far as my knowledge goes, CANBUS is basically a digital signalling system whereby multiple *messages* can be transmitted down a single cable negating the use of multiple, complex, wiring looms.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Pete has it in a nutshell.

CANbus was designed to allow microprocessors in an electrically noisy environment like cars and motorcycles to communicate. It's a bidirectional serial line, typically in a master-slave arrangement.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:53 pm

CANBus and its first cousin, LIN, are what drives all modern automotive activities. In the olden days (remember those, kids?) you press the button and it operated the device at the other end of the wire.

Not any more, as the others have said, there is a little more involved. all devices are now listeners on a network, listening for their coded message to tell them to do something. Correct code received -> do what I am designed to do.

Evans to be successful in your aims, you/we would need to be able to decipher what is going on in the dash and the messages it send to the ECU. As far as I am aware, noone has cracked the dash interface - or noone on this site, at least. There is a diagnostic connector for the dash though!

Hopefully some others will chime in and prove me wrong and come forth with the solution. I have asked for it before on this forum and received a big fat nothing. Go on, prove me wrong, I dare you...
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Yes I hope someone can advise how a smaller clone of the speedo circuit board may be developed.
For me, what I've got works but that's only because I can do without a pillion seat and replaced it with a tail tidy.

A smaller unit that would position over the snorkel for instance would free up a whole range of customising options.
If it used the same plug as fits into the speedo, the speedo could be reinstalled for tuning or maintenance.

As you say it may be in the too hard basket, but somebody designed it in the first place so it ought to be feasible
to reverse engineer it to understand how it works.

Being a (retired) shipwright it'd not my field unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:07 pm

Evans wrote:
I've rebuilt my 1200 8v GRiSO incorporating a different speedo/rev counter.
I'm currently running my original unit out of the way in a tail tidy that I made.

I've established that it is feasible to start and run the bike without the speedo/rev counter connected.

Mark (Beetle) has pointed out that there is an air pressure sensor incorporated in the original unit.
To run without the speedo and associated electronics will require rewiring systems and loss of some functions.
This doesn't strike me as the best way forward.

If I can locate a scrap speedo that I can dissect I'm going to see if it's feasible to duplicate the electronics in a smaller
form, with the ability to control inputs /outputs.

I don't know if this is doable but if it is it will allow for personal customization without major changes to the original setup.

If anyone has any opinions as to the feasibility etc I'd like to know them.

Fortunately my bike is performing fine anyway and my customized GRiSO has proved to be worth the effort.

Just pony up the $$ and buy a new Dash, call it done. I thought about this with my 1200S, but so much data, mileage, odometer, settings, etc plus the APS in the dash made it a waste. Time is $$. OEM (or even good used) dash swap is 10 minutes of your time. Then go ride.................
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Nah, that's not the issue BD. His dash works fine, he just doesn't like it! He's kept it but it's stashed in the tail piece and he's wired up an aftermarket dash for the actual 'Dash' functions but there is a barometric pressure sensor in the original dash so you can't just remove it and it also controls the indicators etc. as well as communicating with the ECU.

Thing is, as far as any of us know, this hasn't been done before. Certainly I've never even thought of doing it but I don't find the stock dash offensive. Evans does, and I certainly admire his dedication and tenacity even if to me it seems barking mad! Laughing

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Nah, that's not the issue BD. His dash works fine, he just doesn't like it! He's kept it but it's stashed in the tail piece and he's wired up an aftermarket dash for the actual 'Dash' functions but there is a barometric pressure sensor in the original dash so you can't just remove it and it also controls the indicators etc. as well as communicating with the ECU.

Thing is, as far as any of us know, this hasn't been done before. Certainly I've never even thought of doing it but I don't find the stock dash offensive. Evans does, and I certainly admire his dedication and tenacity even if to me it seems barking mad! Laughing

That's just plain stupid, it's a freaking dash. Accept it or move on is all I have to say.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:58 pm

If the instruments looked like this I'd be happy as a pig in sht

This though (to me) is a sows ear

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 pm

I like the sow's ear. Just my opinion, not that it matters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:43 am

Street wrote:
I like the sow's ear. Just my opinion, not that it matters.

Agreed. The GRiSO's dash is my favorite, and as unique as the rest of the bike, but to each his own.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:11 am

Much as we all seem to like the general styling of the GRiSO, certain elements are out of place, to some of us. For me, it's the muffler. I don't mind the speedo so much. But the classic twin speedo/tach would look better, in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:05 pm

I too prefer the classic twin clock look, but the GRiSO dash does not offend me. At least you can see it in the sunshine, unlike some others I've had.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:09 pm

I may have been the original discoverer of the air pressure sensor on the PCB, and can post a picture of it if you like. I also looked around for other dashboards some time ago that might have external air pressure sensors. I remember I found one, I think on a Ducati. But I have lost track of the information now. I hadn't even considered that the signal was going to be transmitted on the CAN bus, and never investigated whether the sensor would need to be connected to a processor in order to complete the interface. This all does seem like a waste of effort to me. But the original poster's tenaciousness is worthy of respect.

Moto

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am

An afterthought, in case the OP is still interested. Usually I don't reply to my own posts.

I now recall that what I found was another motorcycle (a Ducati, I'm pretty sure) that had the same basic model of ECU as the GRiSO, for which the separate atmospheric pressure sensor was attached directly to the ECU, instead of indirectly through a dash. Of course, this particular ECU would be programmed differently from the GRiSO's. Still, there is a solution out there, at least in principle. It won't be useful without some reprogramming of that ECU, I expect, but maybe a GRiSO could be tuned like a Ducati, heh?

Moto

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:02 pm

My Acewell speedo / rev counter etc has turned up.
I've just installed it.

Front view

Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am

Evans, replaced my dash a cpl weeks ago, your welcome to the old one, if your still keen.
PM me with your address etc.
Back to top Go down
sanddweller
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
sanddweller

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:29 am

I had some issues with the LHR indicator on the stelvio. Wire got crushed and shorted.
Repairing wire didnt help - seems it farkled the Dash. Only fix was to parallel wire the LHR to LHF indicator (now it flasshes a little fast, but works). The dash constanltly shows blown lightbulb and red triangle. Expensive replacement. I too was interested in alternative guts for the dash, or other to fit, but held no real hope of finding anything. Meanwhile Il lsave up for a few years 'til I can affod an OEM.  Shocked

I do know that if you connect to the ECU you can get more data than is used in dash currently. If you have diag cables, and a blutooth attachment, then load app SCAN M5X on your phone.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maybe contact the developer - they may be able to offer more info on available data.
TPS
Speed
Gear# (learned/calculated from RPM/Speed)
AirTemp
motorTemp
RPM
Air Pressure
(*some may or may not be available - IIRC, when i played with this a few years back that the gear indicator worked on the stelvio)
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:34 am

I have now got all the components that I wanted to customize my GRiSO tourer, the last part of the jigsaw was the Garmin 396 GPS.

I'm running the original dash out of sight in the tail tidy. The issue that Beetle and Pete have pointed out is that there is an air pressure meter built in.
Duplicating it is probably necessary to keep things in tune,
the how is a matter of experimentation.
Other than that the bike starts and runs with the dash disconnected.

Since the bike is running really well as it stands I'm going with " if it's not broke don't fix it"
However if my dash was toast I'd be looking to work out how to run without it.
I didn't get a reply from Mr Bob so he probably still has his old unit.

Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:05 pm

(I didn't get a reply from Mr Bob so he probably still has his old unit.)

Evans, you must have missed my reply to your query , scroll back a cpl of posts.
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:36 pm

I just read this on another site. Not sure if it is what you need to do.

"I confirmed that the APS was bad.
Instead of trying to track down a replacement, I spent a few bucks at Radio Shack today for a small project box, a circuit board, a few resistors, and a male/female molex plug. I cut off the old APS and built a simple voltage splitter circuit that will take the 5V input and drop it down to about 3.6V output (which makes the EFI computer happy). This is approximately the voltage expected at sea level and, since I live at that altitude, everything is now peachy keen. No more flashing "FI" and no more illuminated red LED on the tach. Hooray!"

Last edited by Stubbie on Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Stubbie, what happens when you come over for a Cabal, on the east coast. Certainly the will be bits above sea level?
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:01 pm

It does seem that to duplicate the function a sensor that reads and inputs changes in air pressure
would be needed to keep the correct tuning.

Both Beetle and Pete have felt this would be the case.

Parts are likely to become harder to get so working out ways to replace them seems worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted 8v speedo for parts   Wanted 8v speedo for parts Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wanted 8v speedo for parts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next