GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel guage ?

Go down 
+4
GuzziSteve
Street
Oz1200Guzzi
Evans
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm looking at the feasibility of fitting a fuel gauge rather than the low fuel warning light
Anyone done this ?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 pm

you could poach one from a Norge/Sport/Breva but starting to get a bit crowded under your seat...

Bulldog9 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am

The Acewell speedo/rev counter that I'm replacing the original unit with has provision to display
fuel level. It can be programmed to different inputs.

What I'm looking at is fitting a sender on the aluminium base to the fuel pump.
With the relatively small tank and range of the GRiSO having a gauge rather than just a warning light
would be useful if it's feasible.

lcjohnny and bikeseamus like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Trip meter works for me. Oh yeah, yours is now hiding under the tail tidy.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

“When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.
When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive.” - Neil Peart

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:38 am

The Acewell unit does have a trip meter, as well as all the other usual functions.

Since it also has a fuel gauge display, if I can I'll fit a sender in the tank and hook it up.
Senders are quite cheap. I like the look of this one as all wiring is external.
I won't look at doing this until our Winter (June - September)

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:30 pm

I believe the sender is already in the tank - same as all the CARC bikes. You may simply have to "interpret" what it is giving you. From memory, it's just a variable voltage.

Don't believe you need another sender, Evans.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Some of the CARC's had a sender in a tube mounted next to pump, I'd use something known to work.

Yes, like on early G1100's.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm

That's great news Thanks
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 pm

If there’s one thing this bike has smashed into my brain, it’s to reset the trip meter each time after filling up. The range is pretty easy to determine once the trip metre is zeroed. If you only part fill the tank though, well, you’re on your own!
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 am

I always use the trip meter to keep track.
On a long trip with few petrol stations though things could get dicey.
Relying on the warning light only is a bit risky, if it doesn't come on the first thing you know is running out of fuel.
I was reading about this issue on another thread the other day and carrying a fuel bladder was suggested.
The 6 ltr version would give a further 100 klm range, unlike a plastic fuel can they fold up when not being used. Definitely on my wish list.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As to the fuel gauge, the Acewell unit that I'm going to be using has a fuel gauge built in, if I can configure it with a sender I will use it.
Back to top Go down
Brent S
Biondino
Biondino
Brent S

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Those foldable fuel bladders look excellent! I’d considered fuel containers etc but they can be so awkward to pack when space is already at a premium. I particularly like the 3 litre version.......perfect for an emergency when you think you may just be 20-40kms short on range which seems to be more common. Of course, if you’re really heading out and about, the 6 litre version would make more sense.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Carrying fuel in a soft sided container, on a vehicle that will fall over if anything goes wrong, just seems a bit risky. There have been plenty of tales of bikes being in wrecks over the past few months, and I don't want to consider what it feels like having gasoline splashed on fresh road rash, even if flames aren't involved.

But maybe I'm just a wuss.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:51 pm

Yes carrying them in side panniers would be risky.
They come with D rings and tie down straps I'd be looking at tying on top of the rear carrier when full.

Weight when empty 400g
6 L capacity
Width 35 cm x 40 cm Length
Supplied with a fuel spout that stores inside a dust-proof integrated pouch.
Includes tie-down cinch straps for securing on top of panniers as well as six steel (not plastic) D rings for alternative mounting options.
D rings are suitable for use with tie downs or Bungee cords.
Also suitable for water, provided that the cell has not been used for fuel before.

bikeseamus likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

You dont want a GRiSO, you want a 1200 Sport..........

I have only had one or two bikes with fuel gauges, and they were mostly useless. The discipline of using the trip meter is what I always use. If you want to carry extra fuel for 'just in case' grab a couple liter fuel bottles. Why continue to make the GRiSO what it is not?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

The fuel gauge on a Sport, can be very accurate, if your systems is set up properly. I was anal enough to do just this, for what it's worth. I have noted though, that the top half of the tank lasts longer than the bottom. even with a gauge, I get tetchy on a trip. By the time it gets to 1/4, I am due for a stop and a refill anyway - on a trip this is generally 300 km or more.

The best I ever got was 411 km before the light came on - in theory this leaves around 5 litres but she's a heavy bitch and who wants to push the last kilometre? Safe is better than sorry...
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm

I think it is sad that they no longer make the GRiSO.
A beautiful bike but with a few rough edges.

Making a bike your own is half the fun of owning them in my opinion.
I customized my GRiSO for me but I must have got something right from the comments I'm getting
when I fuel up or park.

Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:53 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
The fuel gauge on a Sport, can be very accurate, if your systems is set up properly. I was anal enough to do just this, for what it's worth. I have noted though, that the top half of the tank lasts longer than the bottom. even with a gauge, I get tetchy on a trip.

This. A fuel gauge that doesn't follow a reasonably linear progression is almost worse than no gauge at all. The gauge on my 1400 doesn't budge for 80 miles, then drops by a bar every 10-20 miles thereafter depending on speed, traffic, etc. The end result is that I wind up estimating range based off the trip odometer anyway. I'd imagine that the tank shape of the GRiSO would be particularly bad about this.

Might that be why they didn't include one, seeing how the provisions are already present?
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:24 am

That does make sense.

However I'd like is an indication other than the low fuel light that I'm getting close to empty.
With no reserve if the low fuel warning light fails then there's no backup.

As has been already pointed out if you don't fill to the brim then a trip meter won't give you a measure of your range.
I enjoy experimenting and trying out different ideas. This one may or may not work, either way I'll learn something.
Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 am

For sure, the odometer method has its drawbacks. For example, if your fuel mileage should plummet for some unknown reason overnight - don't ask me how I know!

Might be time better spent to just go old school on it  Laughing

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

I nearly vomited...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel guage ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel guage ?   Fuel guage ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel guage ?
Page 1 of 1