GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption

Go down 
+2
lcjohnny
Buellbloke
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Empty
PostSubject: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 am

Took mine out today full tank of not new fuel but not so bad to smell of varnish. Only did a 50 -60 mile round trip, though did thrash it plenty.
Low fuel warning light started coming on, checked and was nothing sploshing about in there. ....Thats like 20mpg Laughing
Popped £15 of Super Plus 98ron E5 in there, even though wanted an empty tank to assist removal thought soon thrash that out of ya!
So it dont surge like what I would call low speed surging, what it does do at low speeds is sort of clunk to catch up with the revs.
Some strange flapping sounds at low speed am like wtf bang on the revs the and it goes away.
Almost shit myself at speed, 100plus as unsure how much air is leaking from these spokey wheels.
Affects trust in corners these wheels though managed to scrape me right toes.
Can't say it ever bottomed out, suspension goes nice and hard at 90plus.
No oil leaks and started first time every time.
Is it ok to press the button and let the thing start itself with no throttle, tickover is 1250 dead on the nail.
I thought the Termignoni had no baffle but met a non rollerised @10k Tenni Green owner who reckoned baffle was still in there.
Can I pop the baffle out with no side effects except better sound?
Syphoned off a pint of too much oil before riding. Still waiting on a f*cking support stand been over a week now Evil or Very Mad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am

Looks very sweet

You should get better than 43 mpg even caning it.

Don't talk about taking baffles out on this forum as it makes the bike run worse (but noisier)
and there are engineers here that dislike mods that make it run worse Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jon

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 pm

mpg can vary a lot with different maps - what map are you running ?? Only ask cos I run a 'riched up' map that Spike got developed on a dyno with his GRiSO & it is somewhere around the 30mpg, but it runs beautifully at low speed with more throaty exhaust. Sometimes I use one of Mark's (Beetle) maps that gives much better fuel consumption but is slightly less forgiving on slow speed corners/traffic.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:53 pm

paulbrice wrote:
mpg can vary a lot with different maps - what map are you running ??  Only ask cos I run a 'riched up' map that Spike got developed on a dyno with his GRiSO & it is somewhere around the 30mpg, but it runs beautifully at low speed with more throaty exhaust. Sometimes I use one of Mark's (Beetle) maps that gives much better fuel consumption but is slightly less forgiving on slow speed corners/traffic.

Don't know, could be anything as one of previous owners did a few mods, NKG plug caps, billet torque arm, lots of carbon mods, rollerisation.
Bike is quite smooth at low revs running in low gears though there is the snatchy take up of revs when picking up more speed.
It definitely moves sharpish. Beats a Suzuki TL 1000 off the lights every time  Laughing  
It's agricultural so am very forgiving of the bikes foibles.
The fuel consumption am putting down to the poor quality of fuel that was in it, though maybe not.
With £15 in the bike and the trip reset will see what I get tomorrow.
Am sure I read somewhere Guzzi GRiSO's were thirsty from the factory?

How much in Sterling does it take to fill the GRiSO? It's a deep tank and possible I've got an early activating fuel warning lamp?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 pm

It may look big... but only 17L

They were thirsty but the beetle maps improve that.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm

lcjohnny wrote:
It may look big... but only 17L

They were thirsty but the beetle maps improve that.

Am reading 45mpg so something is not right.
Will be installing a beetle map as soon as get me a stand, change the oils and adjust the tappets.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:57 pm

You'll need to tune it properly. For that you'll need Guzzidiag and cables or one of the other proprietary tools, a manometer of some sort and read up on how to tune a W5AM Guzzi. Just setting the valve clearances won't cure a high fuel consumption issue.

It sounds as if it has other problems if it's sucking that much fuel. Whip the pipe off and look up its guts. You can see the cat from the front. See if it's horribly clogged. What's the air filter like? If it was over full of oil chances are the airbox has oil in it and the filter is fouled. Don't fill it higher than half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks on the stick.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:11 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
You'll need to tune it properly. For that you'll need Guzzidiag and cables or one of the other proprietary tools, a manometer of some sort and read up on how to tune a W5AM Guzzi. Just setting the valve clearances won't cure a high fuel consumption issue.

It sounds as if it has other problems if it's sucking that much fuel. Whip the pipe off and look up its guts. You can see the cat from the front. See if it's horribly clogged. What's the air filter like? If it was over full of oil chances are the airbox has oil in it and the filter is fouled. Don't fill it higher than half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks on the stick.

Air filter is like brand new, box is dry as a bone. As for oil I believe he personally changed it last summer and rode it hardly at all.
I syphoned a pint out its reading in the middle on the full low marks.
Quite possible the cat is clogged was brown sticky mess at the exhaust exit at the low point on the silencer, is it possible to clean the cat?
I would say its running very rich expensively so Laughing
Am finding it hard to understand what he meant by surging at low speed, I detected no such surging.
Ride a suspension bridge with a forced 30mph limit, if a bike is going to surge at low speed it will do it there or the average speed camera section leading into the city, anoither forced 30mph limit.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Just setting the valve clearances won't cure a high fuel consumption issue.
Don't fill it higher than half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks on the stick.

I never for one minute thought setting valve clearances would sort the fueling issues dude.
Am thick as shit not dumb as f*ck Laughing
Its just having had a brain stroke I want to do things in a specific order if I can.

Even after a good 60+ mile run today the oil only registered 3 quarters of the marks on the dipstick. I thought it would expand to the full mark?

An update to yesterday, after using the old fuel filled up with high octane super plus 98ron E5 yesterday. Popped some STP injection cleaner in the tank. Bike did 62 miles and is still almost 3 quarters full.
Am thinking what I thought was a full tank yesterday probably was not. Thought filled it up yesterday yet was still room for another 3 litres.
Used a degree of restraint and didnt thrash it everywhere at every opportunity. Each time I checked the tank was suprised to see how much fuel was still in there.
CanBus is a learning ECM am assuming it didnt like the fuel and needed to burn more to acheive more power I was asking yesterday.
Today there was plenty of octane. That said a map is a fixed though editable programme dependant on the O2 sensor for small calibrations.
Its narrow band so quite limited on what you can actually do to it I believe.
Can the CanBus modify the map slightly to account for poor fueling?

Can one burn off any excessive catalyst deposits by running high revs in say 3rd or 4th like what people do with cars?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:23 pm

The engine runs in closed loop below ~4500 RPM and above 55° C. The ECU only trims on a steady throttle, and it trims it lean or more lean. AFR 14.5 - 15.1. Above 5000 RPM you're in open loop and the the 8V will guzzle fuel flat out like a lizard drinking.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:27 pm

5,000 rpm is the magic number - goes like stink and drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow, exceed that and it's gets worserer.

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:16 am

[quote="Pete Roper"] You can see the cat from the front. See if it's horribly clogged.

Where you refferring to a cat in the collector/y piece connector pipe or the one I've just discovered in the Termignoni?
It's clear that one all the little holes are unblocked, its as dry as a nuns cr*ck Laughing
So if I manage to move the Termignoni on will I be cat free or is there indeed one in the Y piece?

Last edited by Buellbloke on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:37 pm

No cats in the collector, or midpipe, or y-pipe, or whatever you want to call it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:34 pm

beetle wrote:

No cats in the collector, or midpipe, or y-pipe, or whatever you want to call it.

Thank f*ck for that be ordering a new silencer monday, Mistral carbon hiline is discontinued, only available in stainless.
Not sure any of the carbon versions of their pipes are available anymore for the GRiSO.
Do like the graphite gasket on the Termignoni but thats all. Assume the cat is there because its a factory pipe, a nicer replacement for the original.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:54 am

beetle wrote:

Will the Mistral Conical Map work for the short version too?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 am

Buellbloke wrote:

Sure. Might need a CO trim tweak.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:39 am

beetle wrote:
Buellbloke wrote:

Sure. Might need a CO trim tweak.

Did you know they have cats in those Mistrals?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Buellbloke wrote:

All E5 and E4 exhausts from Mistral now have cats. They're high-flow cats. I thought the E3 pipes didn't.

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:53 pm

beetle wrote:
Buellbloke wrote:

All E5 and E4 exhausts from Mistral now have cats. They're high-flow cats. I thought the E3 pipes didn't.

scratch

They're hand made pipes I wonder if you can request a no cat pipe.
E3 pipes probably didnt, in a recent email the guy Alex acted like it was a recent adaption.
He did say they were only in the approved version bom
I find these italians are somewhat vague with details, you have to keep asking and emailing Laughing
Took two attempts to discover they had discontinued carbon on all their pipes.
Its funny he went out of his way to approve a new collaboration with UK vendor Moto Corsa and completely failed to mention a long standing association with Guzzibits.
Guzzibits still think they can order carbon cans for certain bikes like the Stelvio.

Last edited by Buellbloke on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Ask them if they'll make a race version.

Or buy an Agostini.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:00 pm

beetle wrote:

Ask them if they'll make a race version.

Or buy an Agostini.

you were quick was still editing that Laughing
yea i'll try that.
Agostini pipes are extortionate am on a budget hence the Stainless Shorty
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Arrow?

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:51 pm

beetle wrote:

Arrow?

You dont have a map listed for the Arrow?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Buellbloke wrote:

Yes I do. Look again.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:59 pm

beetle wrote:
Buellbloke wrote:

Yes I do. Look again.

On here you do quite right Cool but was looking on here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption   Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Really Really Bad Fuel Consuption
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next