GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Motodemic LED headlight upgrade

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Here's one for you all.  I just got in an EVO S headlight upgrade.  Plug and play.  $$529.  Problem is it's 3mm (1/8") too wide and it doesn't fit for crap.  Really really tight.  I literally had to use a prybar (extra large screwdriver) to get it in.  In the process the glass front pushed in a little on one side.  So I removed bezel and LED module, and presto, the thing fixed itself.  

Now I'm looking at fitting a round bezel onto an oval bucket.  Any ideas?  Again, really tight.  

Has anyone actually put one of these high dollar setups on that actually fit?  Motodemic is telling me that the problem is with Moto Guzzi manufacturing tolerances.  So their product is properly sized and my 2016 GRiSO is out of spec.  I'm saying BS on this.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:02 pm

No bullshit at all. There is another post on the same strain, where the fitting required a few other bolts to be loosened off, fit the headlight, then tighten everything up again.

Brad from Motodemic may also be along to advise, shortly...
Back to top Go down
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:12 pm

I just looked it over again and I see where you can split the mount. Was able to get maybe 2-3mm gap on the top side. Still have squished housing tho. Also I'm measuring 184mm with the new headlight in, and 184mm across the original headlight mounting tabs.  I know someone else has measured 186mm.  That seems like quite a difference. 2mm smaller would be nice.
Back to top Go down
jg213
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jg213

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:28 am

Here's an update, Using angle grinder and cutoff wheel I removed a little over half of the 'ears' on new headlight bucket to help improve fit.  Well, area in front of 'ears' now was rubbing on casting, so I ground off a bevel on front side of casting raised mounting area, which now clears the bucket (and also helps to guide bucket onto mount when installing).  

Couple observations: the new headlight is both smaller in diameter and is recessed towards rear compared to original headlight.  I mean it looks good, except in my case it doesn't line up with dart windscreen as well as original light. Not a deal killer, just definitively not as trim.

orig light diameter: 7 3/4",     new light diameter:  7 1/4"
orig dist from center mount to front of bezel:  2 1/2",    new dist: 1 3/4"

Just one more observation, I now have make sure and really tighten lamp swivel mount bolts to assure that it doesn't move.   Orig light had a larger contact area with casting, new light is roughly half that and it takes more friction to assure it won't move.  Probably is also due to the butchered 'ears' not mating as well with casting.

One more thing, the paint on Motodemic bucket is cheap.  Definitely not powdercoat.  Scuffs easily.  Used a marker to touch up satin paint on new bucket and GRiSO casting.  Actually doesn't look too bad.

Ok, last thing, the 5mm mounting bolts don't engage as many threads on new bucket.  There's a gap at outside of ears where bolt has to enter in a ways before it contacts threads. Orig had threads all the way to the outside.  Now, with windscreen mounting bracket, there's maybe only 3 or 4 turns total, (not sure, didn't verify that).  Took off outside washer and used loctite on threads. Seems good to go.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:30 am

jg213 wrote:

One more thing, the paint on Motodemic bucket is cheap.  Definitely not powdercoat.  Scuffs easily.

I noticed that too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic LED headlight upgrade   Motodemic LED headlight upgrade Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Motodemic LED headlight upgrade
Page 1 of 1