GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Motodemic Fitment Woes

Go down 
+4
Steak
Pete Roper
SMTCapeCod
motodemic
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motodemic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
motodemic

Motodemic Fitment Woes Empty
PostSubject: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:52 am

We recently had a customer call in and they referenced a thread on this forum that mentioned someone having slight fitment issues. After doing some searching on the forum and comparing previous customer interactions, there seem to be mixed experiences using a product we originally made for the V7 family but should fit the GRiSO without issue.

When we developed the kit for the V7, we bought a V7 light and utilized an off-the-shelf housing that was slightly smaller. Then we designed adapters to make it the exact same width and have m8 threads. Couple that with a wiring harness with the same OEM connector and premium LED unit, we have an excellent drop-in replacement for the Guzzi Gang.

Once we finished the product, we did some part number cross-referencing and found that Guzzi used this headlight across many models over the years, which seems to only be on paper. We later found that part number is being listed as a replacement option for part numbers they are no longer make the originals of. Yay, that makes things super straightforward... not.

What we do know is that people have different definitions of "good fitment". To me, good fitment is something that drops in perfectly and does not require extra work. No bending or flexing in order for it to assemble. We also know that when we bought the OEM listed headlight for a GRiSO, the headlight that came was the same size as the V7 unit but in chrome. It also had the same connector and wire locations.

We have been trying to get a GRiSO in front of us on and off over the years but it just hasn't happened. We are hoping to get your feedback if you have purchased our housing (either from us or from JW Speaker Retailer) and make any needed GRiSO specific adjustments.

Our adapted housing measures 186mm across the mounting points. If you've had fitment issues, what is the measurement between the inside of your stock headlight supports? Maybe the stock headlight supports have tolerance and just need to be loosened, adjusted outwards, then tightened. That is the only thing that I can think of as to why some fit fine and some do not.

Are there any GRiSO deep knowledge peeps on here that may know if there was a slight change in the model along the way?

Any help here would be awesome and I will think of something to show my gratitude if we can get to the bottom of it.

- Brad

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:28 pm

2014 GRiSO 1200 SE.  Had interference at the mounting points. Would not fit into the frame/basket with any amount of hand-pressure.  I lacked the ingenuity to McGyver a strap or some other contraption to pull it in, but I recall someone on this forum did just that.  Unfortunately, I had to opt for some carefully applied dead blows  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to the mounting points on the bucket.  I can't recall whether the threaded fitting was proud of the bucket surface?  At any rate, with great care and patience I was able to gain sufficient additional clearance without distorting, creasing or otherwise marring the bucket.  
I did not record my measurement and am disinclined to disassemble because there's a fiddly windscreen mount in the way.  If there is variability in the OEM mounting points, I would've preferred to shim @ the mounting points rather than trying to 'create' clearance.

I'll add- I ran into a rats nest of wiring from past ownership attributed to a shop in California, Motodemic was very responsive to my requests for guidance on that front and I appreciated that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

FWIW, here is another thread on the topic that is current at time of posting: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by SMTCapeCod on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:08 pm

I don't believe there have been any changes to the frames that hold the headlight that would affect fitment over the years. I've recently replaced the assemblies, (The frame that holds the lamp bucket is a two part affair.) on the written off shitter I'm resurrecting and because one of the frames was quite bent I purchased a second hand pair from a different year model and they were, as expected, identical dimensionally. I also believe that the part numbers for the frames haven't changed over the years.

I did have to McGyver the instrument mount at the top of the frame but that was due to a stripped thread rather than any physical difference to the parts.

Dropping the headlight bucket, (Which as you will of seen is a truly cheap and horrid piece of shit.) is no big deal so I can easily nip up to the shop over the next couple of days, pull the light out, take a couple of photos and measure the width of the mounts if you would like?

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm sure we've got some GRiSO owners/ghetto members in the East Bay/Stockton area who cold get a GRiSO over to you for an inspection/fitment test.

Any volunteers giving this thread a look?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
motodemic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
motodemic

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:13 pm

@SMTCapeCod - Your post may be the one that the customer was referring to. My thinking is that variance is in where those mounting points attach to your bike. From the parts diagram, they attach at the top and bottom to the triple clamps and almost look as if they can pivot in and out (similar to how the V7's are). Completely agree a shim of some sort would have been easier.

@Pete Roper - Your info matches what I have found. And I agree on the quality of the stock lamp.

@Steak - That would be amazing and we would make it worth their while as well.

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:19 pm

motodemic wrote:
@SMTCapeCod - Your post may be the one that the customer was referring to. My thinking is that variance is in where those mounting points attach to your bike. From the parts diagram, they attach at the top and bottom to the triple clamps and almost look as if they can pivot in and out (similar to how the V7's are). Completely agree a shim of some sort would have been easier.

I think a search of this forum and one of the other Guzzi forums would turn up a few different instances of similar concern.  Let me just do a little desktop research/development for you:

See also: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'll post the schematic.  A shim at the mounting points might do it if it doesn't throw other dimensions too far out.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:55 pm

The problem is the bottoms of the frames bolt to the lower yoke and that spacing can't be shimmed sideways. They are fairly substantial chunks of alloy, (Not much on the GRiSO is lightweight! Laughing apart from shit like the headlight bucket!) and won't take kindly to bending.

Bill Hagan and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
motodemic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
motodemic

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 pm

@SMTCapeCod - Thanks for the help! I've definitely done a lot of digging and read any post on this site that has the word "motodemic" in it. I'm going to try ordering another #1 from that schematic. We ordered it in the past and sent it back when it showed up the same size as the v7 unit we have. If it's only 1mm difference we can just make new adapters for the housing we are using now. Hoping I can get a bike in front of us so we can be 100%.

Where we've gotten conflicting info is direct customers and others that have purchased through the JW Speaker channels and didn't mention having an issue installing. Such as Cantaloop and Lehctim in this thread - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Both are using our housings/full setup.

@Pete Roper I see exactly what you are talking about.

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:24 am

The width of the mounts is 185mm (V7 must be the same as it's same shell)
& as Pete says the mounting 'brackets' are super rigid & solid bolted to non-adjustable points on bottom on the fork yolks & at top so you can't create any extra gap....as a result it can be hard to squeeze anything that's even slightly bigger (especially if it's rigid as well - OEM shells are easy to deform); they are also shaped so any shell has to be at least similar or smaller profile around the mounting points and to rear.

Bill Hagan and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:22 am

My GRiSO is a 2011 8V 1200 (A8 engine).
I had ordered the headlight bucket July 23 in Germany via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Just mounted it without problems - okay it was very tight but it works.
The build quality of the bucket (https://motodemic.com/shop/moto-guzzi-byol-headlight-upgrade/) is very good.
The price in the US is reasonable, for Europe it is expensive (approx. 170 Euro) which might be caused by shipping and customs.

Update:
The bucket fits when headlight is not mounted:
but it is really very tight.

Unfortunately is does not fit anymore when the LED unit is mounted but you can solve this problem by loosening the upper and lower screws of the bracket holders.
and tighten them after you have mounted the complete headlight.

Last edited by janguzzi on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:10 am; edited 3 times in total

Bill Hagan, SMTCapeCod and motodemic like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:20 am

motodemic wrote:
We recently had a customer call in and they referenced a thread on this forum that mentioned someone having slight fitment issues. After doing some searching on the forum and comparing previous customer interactions, there seem to be mixed experiences using a product we originally made for the V7 family but should fit the GRiSO without issue.

When we developed the kit for the V7, we bought a V7 light and utilized an off-the-shelf housing that was slightly smaller. Then we designed adapters to make it the exact same width and have m8 threads. Couple that with a wiring harness with the same OEM connector and premium LED unit, we have an excellent drop-in replacement for the Guzzi Gang.

Once we finished the product, we did some part number cross-referencing and found that Guzzi used this headlight across many models over the years, which seems to only be on paper. We later found that part number is being listed as a replacement option for part numbers they are no longer make the originals of. Yay, that makes things super straightforward... not.

What we do know is that people have different definitions of "good fitment". To me, good fitment is something that drops in perfectly and does not require extra work. No bending or flexing in order for it to assemble. We also know that when we bought the OEM listed headlight for a GRiSO, the headlight that came was the same size as the V7 unit but in chrome. It also had the same connector and wire locations.

We have been trying to get a GRiSO in front of us on and off over the years but it just hasn't happened. We are hoping to get your feedback if you have purchased our housing (either from us or from JW Speaker Retailer) and make any needed GRiSO specific adjustments.

Our adapted housing measures 186mm across the mounting points. If you've had fitment issues, what is the measurement between the inside of your stock headlight supports? Maybe the stock headlight supports have tolerance and just need to be loosened, adjusted outwards, then tightened. That is the only thing that I can think of as to why some fit fine and some do not.

Are there any GRiSO deep knowledge peeps on here that may know if there was a slight change in the model along the way?

Any help here would be awesome and I will think of something to show my gratitude if we can get to the bottom of it.

- Brad

I bought your headlight shell last fall 2020. Its just 1 mm too wide resulting in paint damage on the mounting bracket as I had to force the headlight in. See attached pictures. For the price (EU so also import and shipping) it was honestly a little disappointing.
The distance between the mounting points on my GRiSO is 185mm

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:06 pm

Mounted my Motodemic/J.W. Speaker combo yesterday:

MrBob, Bill Hagan, Richard, motodemic, Buellbloke and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:33 pm

I painted the damage and remounted the headlight today the same way you suggested in your video and that worked perfectly  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan and janguzzi like this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:34 pm

Hallo Timothy,
Thumbs Up - thanks for this feedback!

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:16 pm

janguzzi wrote:

Unfortunately is does not fit anymore when the LED unit is mounted but you can solve this problem by loosening the upper and lower screws of the bracket holders.
and tighten them after you have mounted the complete headlight.

Worthy of substantial "Cred"!

Back to top Go down
motodemic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
motodemic

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:12 am

So it seems like either using janguzzi's method or a housing that is 1mm smaller in with would solve this fitment discrepancy.

Thanks a ton for the feedback here and I will work on getting the product updated for future GRiSO peeps.

FYI - We do sell this as a complete kit with motorcycle-specific lights. Arrives assembled and ready to install [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

janguzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:44 am

Hallo Brad,
glad you came back here.

The headlights options you offer together with the bucket were not the ones I was looking for.
I was looking for a headlight with the best possible visibility and an almost classic look (chrome).
So the the 8700 EVO 2 PRO (Chrome) was the best option for me.
The biggest issue I had was to find the perfect positions for the spring clips.
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:02 am

motodemic wrote:
So it seems like either using janguzzi's method or a housing that is 1mm smaller in with would solve this fitment discrepancy.

Thanks a ton for the feedback here and I will work on getting the product updated for future GRiSO peeps.

FYI - We do sell this as a complete kit with motorcycle-specific lights. Arrives assembled and ready to install [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is the dipped beam pattern adjustable?  To allow for change to driving on left or right… eg. UK to Europe, or does its dipped beam have a neutral position?

Bob
ps. so I can work out import costs, what are your shipping costs to the UK?
Back to top Go down
motodemic
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
motodemic

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am

BobW981 wrote:

Is the dipped beam pattern adjustable?  To allow for change to driving on left or right… eg. UK to Europe, or does its dipped beam have a neutral position?

Bob
ps.  so I can work out import costs, what are your shipping costs to the UK?

We use a motorcycle specific reg113 symmetrical beam pattern so the lights are legal for both directions of travel.

The best way to get a total price is to add your items to the cart and use the shipping calculator to see time vs cost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motodemic Fitment Woes   Motodemic Fitment Woes Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Motodemic Fitment Woes
Page 1 of 1