GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fork Seal Replace

Go down 
+6
Buellbloke
rick pope
Chris W
paulbrice
Street
hipower
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
sideshowbob wrote:
I have always used a long piece of pvc pipe with a cap on the end.

Got Pics?

Pretty please.  I intend to embark on that soon.

cheers

Bill

Your better off investing in that tool I posted, prob get from ebay.com £25 does lots of different size forks and seals as well as the bronze bush that fits before the seal, its set to postion that in perfectly.
Got a video of it in use if your interested about 26mins in, shows bush and seal fittment using it.

Bill Hagan and paulbrice like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:39 pm

Buellbloke wrote:
Great if you have the tools/facilites  Cool  The rest of us poor suckers are left with paying ebay £25 for one of these 39 -50mm.

Ignoring @Nobleswood, I am diving into this.  Very Happy

So, @Buellbloke and anyone else who cares, as I have big block and small block Guzzis, will the 39-50 size fit that range, i.e., '98 EV, '07 Norge, '10 GRiSO, '16 V7 II, and '17 V7 III?

I went here and see lots of -- as in too many -- choices: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Your counsel is sought with gratitude in advance.

Grazie,

Bill

P.S.  No moto-wrenching for me just now.  This is my present:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Could be worse ... as in my b-i-l's plight in Erie, Pa., this morning.  Shocked

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:01 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:
Buellbloke wrote:
Great if you have the tools/facilites  Cool  The rest of us poor suckers are left with paying ebay £25 for one of these 39 -50mm.

Ignoring @Nobleswood, I am diving into this.  Very Happy

So, @Buellbloke and anyone else who cares, as I have big block and small block Guzzis, will the 39-50 size fit that range, i.e., '98 EV, '07 Norge, '10 GRiSO, '16 V7 II, and '17 V7 III?

I went here and see lots of -- as in too many -- choices: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Your counsel is sought with gratitude in advance.

Grazie,

Bill

Considering the GRiSO fork tubes are 43mm, I would imagine that choice of tool 39 -50 out of that selection would suit all your needs.
Above and beyond.
Even the new V85TT only has 41mm tubes. Earlier Guzzi's have skinny tubes around 35mm though your 98EV and 07 Norge has 45mm tubes, fatter than the GRiSO, new V7's have 40mm tubes.
A quick search of bikes specs returns all the figures.

Phoar I'd have me a pokey snowmobile if had decent snow like that Surprised

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 am

Done.

Mr. Brown will bring it soon.

Thanks.

Bill

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks for posting this; it's very timely as I am just about to do that job on mine. I have the tool from eBay to put in the seals, have the parts and oil, all ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:52 am

Must be that time of the year!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 am

Bill Hagan wrote:

Done.

Mr. Brown will bring it soon.  

Thanks.

Bill

That tool may or not be too clever.
I ordered 30mm - 45mm when it turned up the hammer part was already 45mm fully closed, spread with pins at limit before falling apart was 55mm.
Aint no way on planet earth it would impact a 30mm fork if you could even hold the spring part that tight.
Can you imagine how much slack between for tube an the hammer part, be lucky to get in a decent hit.
Unlike in mateys video these are chinese copies, the sprung impactor instead of fitting/clipping to the leg at the closest set size and expanding to fit its higher size, is already sprung wide.
It falls on, meaning you have hold it tight to the tube under tension. its quite a strong spring.
You will need a third hand, one to hold that part tight, one to impact it and one to hold the tube/caliper part up out the way.
I did think you could tie something thru the axle hole and anchor it above to keep that part out of your way.
My upper bushes merely pushed in, I used the tool but just pressed the bush into place with a click.
Let me know how you get on, got my third hand turning up shortly Laughing
Mine failed even with 3 hands could not get decent alignment upon impacting.

Should you wish to try this method that worked perfectly, wrap electrical tape around the fork leg near caliper end until is just a bit smaller than the seal.
Then with a smear of rubber grease on the seal push it home or use the tape to hammer it home.
Works flawlessly Shocked

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seal Replace   Fork Seal Replace - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fork Seal Replace
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2