GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Empty
PostSubject: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 am

Hi guys, I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to the Tomtom 550 from the Tomtom urban rider which I was very happy with for years but is not supported anymore.

I am interested in the 550 because it comes with world maps, I am seeing mixed reviews on the web scratch

The other option is the Garmin xt but doesn’t have world maps.

Would appreciate if anyone has recommendations or not for the 550?

Thanks for info study
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 pm

I'm using a TomTom 550 on my GRiSO, also have a TomTom Rider on my Norge.

The user interface is easier on the Rider, but it's an outdated model and no longer sold or supported by TomTom.

The 550 is fast, it's a different sequence of events to plan a route out, but it's excellent quality. I also like that it's not monstrous, and can be easily taken off and put in your jacket pocket if need be.

Bill Hagan and Guzzi Cat like this post

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Cat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Guzzi Cat

PostSubject: Re: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Thanks PJPR01, that’s the feedback I was looking for cheers

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:04 pm

I have a 550, and really like it. Was using phone based GPS on an old phone for years. I like I can plot a route and send wirelessly to the GPS unit on the bike while in the garage. Easily swaps between bikes if you prep the power chord. Attaches via ram mount.

It has a function that lets you pick the elevation change and twistiness of the route, and often routes me on dirt and gravel roads which I wanted. Easy to turn that feature off to avoid that.

If you pair it via bluetooth to your phone lets you manage text messages and phone calls and music if you want, as well as gives traffic updates. Pretty good database that shows you upcoming POI's you select. You can also shut all that crap off. I only keep the data for traffic. I ride for the isolation and peace, why would I want phone calls or text messages while riding?

Look for sales, I picked mine up last year (maybe 2?) for 1/2 MSP
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:29 am

I currently use a Beeline, which also has a bicycle mode for push bikes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Which brings up an interesting point. Does the au mean it only works for Australia and New Zealand locations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad   Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tomtom 550, any experience? Good or bad
Page 1 of 1