GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New Key Needed - remotely?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
syspig
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
syspig

New Key Needed - remotely? Empty
PostSubject: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:04 am

Greetings, all. Picked up a 2013 GRiSO a couple days ago. First order of business - getting a second key. It only came with one.

I've read enough here to realize it's chipped, and knowing the user code is needed to program it. I do have that and have read up on the procedure.

However, a bit of a curve ball - I'm 3+ hours away from the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer. Add to that - they're located somewhere I've no desire to ride (Seattle), so I'm wondering if there's a way to get it done remotely. The dealer in question won't help me in that regard. I offered to mail them the existing key, show proof of ownership, whatever would make them comfortable - nada. They insist on the bike being there. Perhaps understandable, as they don't know me and may not wish to be a party to potential theft. Still, I'm hoping to figure out how to source a key and get it cut without 6+ hours of riding there and back.

Any suggestions? Are blanks readily available, and if so - is there anything special about them, or can a competent locksmith typically cut them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.olymoto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:52 pm

Factory key blanks are readily available and any decent locksmith should be able to cut them.

There are also aftermarket chip keys that can be cut and cloned.

My understanding, as explained by my local locksmith of choice, is that the aftermarket keys cannot be programmed by the dash to be recognised but a factory blank cannot be cloned.

That means that if you get an aftermarket blank cut it can be cloned and will function but it can't be used for trading other keys to the dash.

If you get a factory, (Zadi.) key cut you can train it through the dash using the 'Change the key' function and it will to all intents and purposes perform exactly the same functions as the original key.

I did a YouTube vid covering this a while back. I think it may be in the tech section.
Back to top Go down
Patlikestolean
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Patlikestolean

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Last time I checked, AF1 will cut and/or program by mail. They suggest you insure it for the price of a new dash in case it gets lost on transit.
Back to top Go down
Steedracer
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steedracer

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:03 am

I just used AF1 Racing last week (I'm in TN) for this.  Fantastic service.  Easy to order on their site ($40).  My local Guzzi shop recommended them.  I sent my one key via two-day last Wednesday afternoon (forgot to insure for $600 as they suggested. Rolling Eyes ).  They received on Friday at 1PM (tracking).  They had the 2nd key made and had it and my CARC/ tranny gear oil packed and shipped out within two hours!  I was supposed to receive on Sunday, but FedEx informed me of a delay, so they delivered on Monday afternoon.  It really was very easy, and they turned around everything quickly on their end.  Very pleased (and yes, I tried the 2nd key and it works perfectly Very Happy ).

Last edited by Steedracer on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

lcjohnny and syspig like this post

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:33 am

Really glad I live in Austin although when I go to AF1 in person I usually stay too long!
Back to top Go down
syspig
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
syspig

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:38 am

Confirmed, Steedracer - AF1 will cut/clone for $40. Thanks for the tip! Their reply:

AF1 wrote:
Official way--- order OEM blanks, have them cut, then you MUST know the user code, and you can add the new keys to the dash   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheap and easy way --  If the personal USER code is not known, we can clone a working key.  No programming, way cheaper, $40 for blank, cut and clone.  Order this and send in your working key  https://www.af1racing.com/af1-racing-key-cloning-for-internal-cut-keys
Back to top Go down
http://www.olymoto.com
Steedracer
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steedracer

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:31 pm

syspig wrote:
Confirmed, Steedracer - AF1 will cut/clone for $40. Thanks for the tip! Their reply:

AF1 wrote:
Official way--- order OEM blanks, have them cut, then you MUST know the user code, and you can add the new keys to the dash   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheap and easy way --  If the personal USER code is not known, we can clone a working key.  No programming, way cheaper, $40 for blank, cut and clone.  Order this and send in your working key  https://www.af1racing.com/af1-racing-key-cloning-for-internal-cut-keys

Yep!  I had just bought the bike and had no idea what the code was.  So, I sent them my one "working" key.  Their process was easy. I now see in your original post that you actually have the code. Besides what AF1 provided, I've seen some YouTube videos that show how to add a new key with the code. Good luck, whichever way you go.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:35 pm

Do note that if you only have one working key but do know your user code it is best to get a factory key cut and use the 'Change the key' function to get it recognised by the dash so you then have two keys that the dash will recognise as 'Different' allowing you to not only change the code should you choose to but also start the bike in the event of damage the the antenna from say someone trying to force the ignition.

The problem with a cloned key is that while it will start the bike it won't let you bypass the security system and also won't allow you to change the code to one you know as to do that you need two working keys but the dash doesn't recognise the clone as a different key. It sees it as the same key as the original so 'Code recovery' doesn't work.

This is the problem I had with the written off shitter. It came with one key only but a broken dash. Now luckily I had a second hand dash off a wreck I'd won at auction but even luckier I knew the previous owner of that bike and he was able to tell me the user code! That meant that I could get a 'Factory' key cut and then train it to the dash using the 'Change the key' function. Once I'd done that and had two working keys I could use the 'Code recovery' function to change the code to one of my choosing.

In the interest of future key security I also got an aftermarket key cloned and this is the key that is now used 'Every Day' while the two 'Factory' keys stay in a safe place so should I need to get involved in future dashboard fuckery I can change stuff without hassle.

lcjohnny and Steedracer like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Key Needed - remotely?   New Key Needed - remotely? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New Key Needed - remotely?
Page 1 of 1