GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

CARC needed

Go down 
+2
Gootzibird13
orngm2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
orngm2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
orngm2

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:08 pm

Anyone got a GOOD second hand CARC bevel box they want to sell
Good seals, good bearings and pinion nut not loose.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:32 pm

I have a perfect casing but no pinion... Which in essence, will get no one anywhere fast. But by chance if needed message me.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:58 pm

Moto Richmond in VA come recommended as a place that could do the seal in yours. Another option would be Hamlin. Both have good reputations.

If it's only the pinion seal it really doesn't require replacement of the box! You do need a tool for the seal holder but other than that it's pretty straightforward. I think I've even done a sort of instructional which might be in the tech section.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:47 pm

If it’s the pinion nut seal like Pete alludes to he did a tutorial here that I took to my shop and we ordered the seal and they did the fix for $500. I was comfortable cause I gave them a Pete step by step.
Maybe you have a bigger issue?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:56 pm

Yeah, this was it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The last two pics show me removing the seal holder and in the last one you can see the seal holder with seal in situ sitting next to the red Loctite bottle on the left.

Back to top Go down
orngm2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
orngm2

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:14 am

CARC removed, drained, boxed up and sent to AF1 racing for pinion seal replacement.
Estimate they gave me was awesome.
I will report back results

Bill Hagan and Speedfrog like this post

Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 2:17 pm

What happened?

Bill Hagan and Gootzibird13 like this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 3:10 pm

Yeh really what happened?
Anyway, on a related issue....
Heya Pete. You asked me to get into my CARC and see if the crown bearing was effed but I don't think so. It has a (spline shaft) bit of movement with fingers but not substantial. Do I need to split cases to further investigation? Here are pics of under the boot ect. Lock washers missing a few teeth but they did not go past the boot cup into casing...Let me know what's next and if the bevel is salvageable for rebuild I can send to you per your request sir...I've certainly seen worse splines.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][url=https://servimg.com/view/20270964/99][img]h

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 3:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Uh-huh oh no. Mega metal chunks as was on the magnet drain plug that alerted me to the impending danger of wheel lock ect....Again Pete, you do more than save people a few bucks in service costs.....Thank you again sir. Don't figure you want bevel but if you need a solid case and some boots let me know mate. No charge of course.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 4:48 pm

Uggh! Yeah, I think it's probably history but let's not be hasty. Before we give it its last rites you need to split the cases, (Instructions in the tech section.).

Incidentally the collar of the seal holder isn't supposed to be a separate part. It's the second one I've seen that separated. Did you pry it apart or was it just like that.

Once you've split the cases you'll be able to see the teeth of the crownwheel and most importantly the pinion. If they look OK we can probably rebuild it. If they are damaged? It's off to the dump!

Incidentally I got called by another bloke the other day about a front boot and retainer plate for a CARC as he'd put the plate on the wrong way up and buggered it and the boot so I'll definitely take them, and the top boot, if it's going to the tip.

Bill Hagan and Gootzibird13 like this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 5:05 pm

Pete, I have one side off will heat the other side tomorrow she'll drop right off the big bearing if I remember correctly. We will determine if trashed completely then. Email me the address you want the parts sent. Retainer plate and 2 screws definitely reusable I'll include them. However, the collar, crown nut, and lock washer were separated, rattling around loose. The only thing that held tight were the 2 Oiteker boot clamps as they always do.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 5:19 pm

Hold yer horses! Don't pull the other side off yet, if the 'Outer' case is off you should be able to see the pinion head. The pinion head teeth will always go first because they are working several times harder than the crownwheel teeth. If the pinion teeth are chipped or pitted then they're history. If that is the case see if you can get the other case off and send me the internals. I'll be able to salvage some shims out of the bridge that will be really useful as well as the boots.

If you need a CARC I have several. Most of them have small scratches I think but if your cases are good you or we could swap a *New* reactive bridge into your cases easily enough. Postage will be a bit of a pain though. Otherwise they seem to be fairly readily available on the Bay of Fleas. Let's see what's the cheapest option eh?

Bill Hagan and Nobleswood like this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 5:35 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Hold yer horses! Don't pull the other side off yet, if the 'Outer' case is off you should be able to see the pinion head. The pinion head teeth will always go first because they are working several times harder than the crownwheel teeth. If the pinion teeth are chipped or pitted then they're history. If that is the case see if you can get the other case off and send me the internals. I'll be able to salvage some shims out of the bridge that will be really useful as well as the boots.

If you need a CARC I have several. Most of them have small scratches I think but if your cases are good you or we could swap a *New* reactive bridge into your cases easily enough. Postage will be a bit of a pain though. Otherwise they seem to be fairly readily available on the Bay of Fleas. Let's see what's the cheapest option eh?

I had already replaced it with a used CARC off a crashed GRiSO. Also, I have purchased a brand new Final drive in its original box from factory for a decent price for a backup. I'm just cracking the case cause you asked me to a while back. Perhaps you will get another rider back on the streets with these parts....you're always helping folks who help themselves, let me help you out Pete. Talk tomorrow I ran outta daylight.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Thu May 16, 2024 6:14 pm

Excellent. Well you're set. Just stick on a spare BUT before you install it do the trick I've mentioned before of adding a few drips of Loctite 'Super wick-in' to the top of the threads of the pinion at the peg-nut and leave it standing upright overnight to wick down the threads before installing it. You need to dribble it down a thin screwdriver or something like a satay stick to get it past the throat of the seal holder and you only need one or two drops, not a gallon! You don't want it getting off the nut and anywhere near the seal. Doing this will help prevent a repeat of what happened here where the nut lost its preload and came loose destroying the gears.

Oh my postal address is

PO Box 102. Bungendore. NSW 2621. Australia.

And thanks. Thumbs Up

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 6:04 am

Well as I figured there is teeth damage to gear I found 1 broken tooth and there is just under a 1/2" of in and out play in spline shaft. Also, it locks every 3-4 crown wheel rotations. It's not a hard lock but very subtle. Tried air and hammer tapping to get metal bits or bit out to no avail. Photos show nothing but a dumpster bound bevel. Could have locked or worse while riding and shortened my days. Thankful you convinced me to park bike just by the sight of my drain magnet and a description of minor performance changes.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 12:09 pm

Parts shipped Pete.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 12:48 pm

Thanks mate!
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 pm

Gootzibird13 wrote:
Heya Pete. You asked me to get into my CARC and see if the crown bearing was effed but I don't think so. It has a (spline shaft) bit of movement with fingers but not substantial. Do I need to split cases to further investigation? Here are pics of under the boot ect. Lock washers missing a few teeth but they did not go past the boot cup into casing...Let me know what's next and if the bevel is salvageable for rebuild I can send to you per your request sir...I've certainly seen worse splines.

Is there another thread that gives some back story here? What the hell happened?
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 2:11 pm

kidsmoke wrote:
Gootzibird13 wrote:
Heya Pete. You asked me to get into my CARC and see if the crown bearing was effed but I don't think so. It has a (spline shaft) bit of movement with fingers but not substantial. Do I need to split cases to further investigation? Here are pics of under the boot ect. Lock washers missing a few teeth but they did not go past the boot cup into casing...Let me know what's next and if the bevel is salvageable for rebuild I can send to you per your request sir...I've certainly seen worse splines.

Is there another thread that gives some back story here? What the hell happened?

Yes it has to do with the priority to use the quick wick Loctite on final drive. It was another CARC thread where it began. However, not interested in digging through archives. Short and to the point, caught my final drive just in time thanks mainly to Pete proving once again he's a Guzzi man through and through. To the core mate!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1Fri May 17, 2024 2:31 pm

kidsmoke wrote:

This is another case of the pinion nut loosing its preload. There is a thread recently where a bloke called Havli had the same thing happen and he caught it early enough to rectify before damage occurred to the crownwheel and pinion. In this case, sadly, the damage occurred more rapidly or the failure wasn't detected in time and the gears trashed themselves.

Here ya go.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

kidsmoke and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CARC needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARC needed   CARC needed Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CARC needed
Page 1 of 1