GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fouled plug post valve adjustment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

Fouled plug post valve adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:17 pm

What did I do? I adjusted valve clearances, put in new sparkplugs and reset TPS last night, and it ran well afterwards. Thought I’d done good. I was cleaning/adjusting the throttle cables this morning, reset the TPS again, and then started the bike - verrry fumey, would not idle, rough running. The right header is hot, the left header is cool enough to touch. The left plug is oily.
Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:23 pm

Guzzidiag threw an error P0120: potentiometer 1 sensor, rear throttle position

where is it?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm

TPS is on top of the RH throttlebody.

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:46 pm

Going back to basics.

When you replaced the plugs how did you remove the plug caps? If it's only firing on one cylinder and smelling of fuel chances are you damaged a cap getting them off and the spark is arcing to earth.

Re-setting the TPS? Did you balance the throttlebodies? If not why re-set the TPS? The reason the TPS needs to be recalibrated is because it is an interpretive value and it will only change in a meaningful manner at rest if the balance is adjusted using the bell crank adjuster on the LH throttlebody.
Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:56 pm

I broke a rule Peter: do just one thing at a time. I’d lifted up the plug caps carefully, with webbing, and it ran well immediately after adjusting the valves. But because I was dicking around with the handlebar and the throttle cables earlier, the revs were going up whenever I turned the bars leftward. It was after I’d further screwed up the throttle cable tensions, that GRiSO told me I’m a dipshit. So I swapped in the old CR8EKB (which looked great), slackened the cables and started over. Resetting TPS was out of ignorance and desperation. Both cylinders are running again - it’s going good. Now I’m thinking about it, I should probably have matching sparkplugs - I still have a new PMR8B on the right cylinder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fouled plug post valve adjustment   Fouled plug post valve adjustment Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fouled plug post valve adjustment
Page 1 of 1