GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

fuel level sender replacement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

fuel level sender replacement Empty
PostSubject: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:39 pm

My fuel light stopped coming on, I tested the ohms across the contacts and I'm getting nothing. What's the drill for replacing it, anything to watch out for? And is there a replacement available? Parts book just has the whole pump thing as one unit.

Annoying that it packed in, these things should have a very long life no?.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:36 pm

When you say "nothing", I presume you mean an open circuit?

First thing I would do is remove the pump to check the internal connections.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Arrow indicates the thermistor. Check the connector and terminal on the thermistor, as well as the rod, including metal clamp on the rod. Measure between the rod and thermistor case.

Yes, they should last a very long time, but it's just a machine. Sometimes machines break.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 am

yes open circuit

hmmm looking at your picture there, it looks very similar to what was in all italian bikes from the 00s.. I might have a spare lurking somewhere.

Back to sniffing petrol fumes for fun

is it a front bottom to drain the tank?
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 am

ps thanks
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:21 pm

Lazlokovacs wrote:

is it a front bottom to drain the tank?

I have not found it such. I use a hand pump to remove as much fuel as possible before removing the tank. I've not had it leak when inverted to remove the pump.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:59 pm

Yeah, if possible run it down as close to empty as you dare then remove it and invert it on something soft, (So it doesn't scratch the paint.) and absorbent, (So if it does weep prom the cap it won't run everywhere.). Once the pump is out if you want to drain it completely just stick it on a bucket or catch tray of some sort.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:31 am

Can you just replace that thermistor? Mine has stopped working after 15 years of service, and I'm buggered if I'm buying a new pump assembly. Currently rely on the odo for a rough guide, but a working fuel light is reassuring.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:47 am

Trogladyte wrote:
Can you just replace that thermistor? Mine has stopped working after 15 years of service, and I'm buggered if I'm buying a new pump assembly. Currently rely on the odo for a rough guide, but a working fuel light is reassuring.

Mate, the thermistor is available on the Bay of Fleas for pennies. I thought I'd posted up a link recently? Gimme a bit of time, (I'm busy with personal stuff at the moment so please bear with me. [Death of an old friend.].) and I'll find the link again.

lcjohnny and Trogladyte like this post

Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Did you find that link, Pete? I'm sorry to hear about your pal. I'm bored of no fuel light now.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Here's one.

STUPIDLY LONG LINK REPLACED BY CRANKY MODERATOR

Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:09 am

mine fixed itself btw....!! it wasn't working in the winter and then came back to life with the warmer weather
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:07 pm

Well, they are just a thermistor.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel level sender replacement   fuel level sender replacement Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

fuel level sender replacement
Page 1 of 1