GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tanklock contemplation

Go down 
+7
Street
Clancy
bjor
rick pope
JohnA
Pete Roper
kidsmoke
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

Tanklock contemplation Empty
PostSubject: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:37 am

Recently a tank bag thread resulted in a cacophony of endorsement for the Tanklock ring. That leads me to believe many of you also have Tanklock bags. Sharp as a tack, I am.

The merits of the ring aren’t in dispute. Just trying to decide how big of a monstrosity I’m willing to adopt. And looks do matter, so…

Wondering if those of so equipped could share a side shot of your bag mounted on your GRiSO, and also your opinion of the bag. Model number if you know it.

Photos and opinions should be easily forthcoming in this group, no?

Thanks for the assist!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:09 am

I can probably find a couple more but this one was easy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the 'Second smallest' Givi tank baggy thing. It's semi rigid and has an expansion zip. I dunno exactly how big it is! 7 litres expanding to 10? Not sure, but it's big enough for a two litre bottle of water, a handful of small, probably useless, tools, iPad, charger etc. but not enough for a proper overnighter or a pair of waterproof keks unless really thin shitty ones.

Now I have the pannier racks on Red Bike I think I actually need a bigger tank bag for Yellow Bike and want a Givi again because of the ease of the tank ring. I have the original 'Factory' tank bag but it's a real frontbottom of a thing which either toots the horn or kills the engine when you're manoeuvring to park, has an ugly base that clips onto the bodywork and makes refueling a massive pain in the arse! It is capacious though but if I can get one 5 litres smaller I reckon it would be fine for a summer overnighter. Let's face it, for anything more than a summer overnighter I'll take Red Bike with big luggage!

I'll see if I can get some more, better, pics in the next day or so.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:44 am

Too big and you won’t be able to see the dash. I have a smaller Givi than Pete’s but it holds my wallet, phone, maybe a shirt I peel off when it gets hot and not a lot more. It might be about 4 liters. Depends what you want it for.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:22 am

I, too, have the tank ring and Givi bag. I'll try to remember to snap a pic or three for ya.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:29 am

Pete Roper wrote:
I have the original 'Factory' tank bag but it's a real frontbottom of a thing which either toots the horn or kills the engine when you're manoeuvring to park, has an ugly base that clips onto the bodywork and makes refueling a massive pain in the arse! It is capacious though but if I can get one 5 litres smaller I reckon it would be fine for a summer overnighter

I’ve got that factory bag as well. Capacity is excellent for touring, but as you say, the zip on/zip off process for re-fueling leaves a lot to be desired. And the clips on the plastic bits aren’t the most confidence inspiring, were I was to actually LOAD the bag… so the ring really is the only way to go.  In the long run I may end up with two, a runabout volume option and a touring option. Maybe even add the Tanklock ’female’ component to the OEM bag…

Hence this thread. Wanna see bags ON the bike.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:55 am

JohnA wrote:
Too big and you won’t be able to see the dash. I have a smaller Givi than Pete’s but it holds my wallet, phone, maybe a shirt I peel off when it gets hot and not a lot more. It might be about 4 liters. Depends what you want it for.

what's "too big"?

I've used t he OEM bag, and it's pretty sizable, but I was able to see the dash.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:30 am

Just warning about the ginormous ones. Bigger than yours.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:40 am

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:25 am

A photo of my GIVI XS307.

(- and Hopperstad stave church).

Practical, expandable up to 15 liters, good vision of the dash when not expanded, ok also expanded. Love it!
Only drawback is the zipper. Prone to rip, - have used my warranty once already, but no problem to get a new one...

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am

bjor wrote:

Bonus points for the Stave Church! Became aware of those several years ago through a Scandanavian friend here in the states. Something I hope to see in person one day!
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:13 am

JohnA wrote:

Damn, John. Can you start a thread talking about how you get and keep your headers looking like that???
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:27 am

kidsmoke wrote:
bjor wrote:

Bonus points for the Stave Church! Became aware of those several years ago through a Scandanavian friend here in the states. Something I hope to see in person one day!

I'll give you a guided tour Wink

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:49 pm

I've got two.

EA144B.
Givi says 5 litre. Dunno, seems smaller.
Basic. Just a box on a tankring clip..
Good for carrying a wallet, sunnies, a drink etc on a day trip or commuting.
Like having a car 'glove box' on the bike.
I really like this and use it every ride.

XS307
Expandable.
Givi says 15 litre. Don't know if that's before or after expansion.
Good for travelling.
Not too small. Not too big.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:45 pm

12 Liter capacity, expands to 15 Liters.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Last edited by Street on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Clancy and kidsmoke like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Givi 3D601 4 litres, non expandable. Holds wallet, phone, etc, small hand tools, water bottle, etc.

Givi 3D604. 15 litres, expandable. Holds all the above, plus room for spare "other stuff".
I prefer not to use it, because it created turbulence which annoys the shite out of me.

Oxford MR2 mini tank bag. 2 litres. Holds everything I would usually put in the Givi 3D601, but physically smaller, no turbulence. I fitted a Givi tank lock flange mechanism to it, which can be purchased separately. This is the only tank bag I use now. If I need to carry bigger stuff, it goes in the saddle bags or top box.

I've also got a Givi XStream, but it's too big and turbulantish for me. It's stored with the Guzzi GRiSO tank bag, which is huge, cumbersome, and a pain in the arse. Everything Pete said.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Last edited by beetle on Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Mine is the 3D604. I want to try something bigger for overnighters. Could I borrow your XS307 for a try out at some point Mark?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:10 pm

Sure. I'll see if I can find it amongst the munt...

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:01 pm

Oops. I made error. It's not an XS307, it's an XStream 20 litre.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:48 pm

That hood scoop thingy is an interesting feature. Does it make the bag more aerodynamic? Shade your tablet screen? Tent for your pet mouse?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:40 pm

All of the above.

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:06 pm

I appreciate the shots, folks.
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:21 pm

kidsmoke, I don't own a smartphone so uploading pics is a drag but just to let you know I've made a couple of 'custom' tankbags for the GRiSO, courtesy of a 'donor' givi bag. The clip part of the givi is just screwed in, so its extremely easy to transplant it from the givi bag to any other bag of your choice, which obviously opens up a world of sizing, styling, waterproof-ness etc.

FWIW I think motorcycle bags/luggage are hideously overpriced for what they are. I have a leatherworker in my village and she made me a beautiful leather tankbag for less than the price of the high end motorbike tankbags.

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:08 pm

Do the flanges come in different sizes for different bikes ?

Is there one model of Givi tanklock flange that fits Okuraner's rings ?
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:19 pm

My understanding is that each bike/model takes a specific ring, but that ring will fit all Givi ring lock bags.

So, yes, Onur's ring will fit them all.

Nobleswood and kidsmoke like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:28 am

Ratso and I had our bikes together at a Guzzi event this week. Seeing them like this makes me realize how much I like the tanks without anything on them. Oh well. Function first.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanklock contemplation   Tanklock contemplation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tanklock contemplation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next