GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Error 54 on dash would it run?

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
lcjohnny
tinker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

Error 54 on dash would it run? Empty
PostSubject: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:00 pm

Hi folks GRiSO 8v riding in heavy rain, just broken down, cutout at speed then picked up cut out etc now nearly ticks over then cuts out again. Plugs look dry no water around caps. Appears electrical had a look at relays connections etc all looks good but I have limited tools. Got error 54 dash error, is this the cause or a symptom of something else?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:30 am

Error 54 is an "RPM sensor Error"
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pete is that the phase wheel pick up?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:31 am

Yup.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:36 am

Its on page ELE SYS-15 of the manual - i think it is the phase sensor.
Front left side of the engine - just in front of the cylinder -
May just be soaked so first dry it out
(although i rode it through some solid water over the years)

The manual gives you a test value.

If Pete, Mark or one of the electrical experts knows more about it
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:16 am

AHH thanks ok. I looked error codes online and it said dash error. That makes more sense.
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:12 am

It did another interesting thing when trying to start it pressing the starter it turned engine over then released the button it kept turning for about 10 seconds wierd huh
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:19 am

tinker wrote:
It did another interesting thing when trying to start it pressing the starter it turned engine over then released the button it kept turning for about 10 seconds wierd huh

Nah, they do that. Some of them anyway. Certain years had what I think was called a 'Maintenance Relay' (The electrical whizzes will jump on me if I've got it wrong.) which means when you hit the starter the dash sends a signal to the relay and it stays pulled in for 'x' number of seconds or until the engine starts.

From memory my 2008 does it and my 2010 doesn't!

tinker likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:22 am

Yes, it's the maintenance relay. "Startup Maintenance Relay", if you're pedantic, and you know I am. All GRiSO's have one. All CARC models have them.

tinker, you posted a message on the GRiSO FB group about this, didn't you? I said we needed more info. Very Happy

More info acquired. cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:06 pm

Finally got my bike home, recovery up Scotland is a bit hit and miss. The bike runs and cuts out and sometimes shows error 54 and sometimes not. I have a rpm sensor on order. I was going to look at ecu plugs and silicone grease every injection/ignition related connection. Is there anything else I should look at? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:20 pm

Plug caps? But I reckon those would have been addressed by the previous owner. You haven't had them off have you?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 pm

Hi Tinker.
SF58 had new NGK caps & copper leads at 30,000 so 2 years and 13,000++ ago. Checked when i replaced the ECU last spring - all looked and tested good then.   The plug caps have always lifted off by the screwdriver underneath method,  but that is not to say they cant fail.

When you look at the ecu check the visuals and continuity of the ecu earth ring (and be very careful with the soft silicone seals around the two ecu plugs, one had a couple of splits in it and they are very expensive to get).

I would put my money on the phase sensor - it is one of the known weaker components study

Sorry she let you down  Sad

tinker likes this post

Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:50 am

Phase sensors can be bought from most UK motor factors - Intermotor 18783 or Fiat 7733001, Alfa Romeo, etc. Better price than genuine.

lcjohnny and tinker like this post

Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:32 pm

So I checked ecu plug and found water in the socket. Fitted new phase sensor and it is running again. I’m not sure it is 100% though. And now I have a leaky fork seal. The recovery people had it ratcheted down so tight it may have damaged the seal, so next on the list fork service lol.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:44 am

tinker wrote:
So I checked ecu plug and found water in the socket. Fitted new phase sensor and it is running again. I’m not sure it is 100% though. And now I have a leaky fork seal. The recovery people had it ratcheted down so tight it may have damaged the seal, so next on the list fork service lol.

The exact same thing as happened to my bike after a very wet so Florida ride yesterday. Shorted out all kinds of stuff. Error code 54. My question is after replacing the rpm sensor did it clear your triangle and service notifications?
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:52 am

Yes. But also check ecu plug for water
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:11 am

Question to the knowledgeable… should we be protecting the ECU with a bag or something. Ok let’s call it an “enclosure” ?
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:10 am

I too had to replace ECU before. It was causing a stepper motor error. There actually was about 4 pins totally dissolved by corrosion. And at the time I was told that new ECU had to be bike specific by a California source that happen to have all kinds of expensive ways to remedy my situation. What a joke, anyway I went through everything else during troubleshooting and ECU check last. Because they are in fact durable with those gaskets not cracked. And then to the point, these bikes just don't like downpours, period.....
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:18 am

JohnA wrote:
Question to the knowledgeable… should we be protecting the ECU with a bag or something. Ok let’s call it an “enclosure” ?

I used silicone sealant on outer perimeter of both sides and a splash of dialithic acf250 on pins and gaskets. Those gaskets being lubricated seat perfectly on there own. Quite impressive engineering I'll say. But water is just amazing how it finds ingress on components. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:27 am

Gootzibird13 wrote:
JohnA wrote:

I used silicone sealant on outer perimeter of both sides and a splash of dialithic acf250 on pins and gaskets. Those gaskets being lubricated seat perfectly on there own. Quite impressive engineering I'll say. But water is just amazing how it finds ingress on components. Hope this helps.

Admittedly I live in a very dry bit of the driest inhabited continent on earth but I've not generally had any problems with water intrusion on ECU's on Grisos. Keeping the sealing 'Bellows' (?) on the connectors in good shape and ensuring they are seated well and sealed is paramount. A bit of Vaseline on them certainly won't do any harm.

Gootzibird13 likes this post

Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:28 pm

I found the water must have been in mine for quite a while as there was some blue/green residue in the bottom of one of the sockets with the water. I have liberally used silicone grease in all critical plugs/sockets.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:58 pm

I'm still waiting for my RPM sensor from MG cycle before I tear into ECU. I have another ECU already in my parts bin if needed. I'm bout done wrenching and definitely done with triangle of death and it's pal code #54. Fuck!
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:00 am

Well into my vacation and 0 miles being ridden....
Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:07 am

I just bought a fiat pattern part £20. Probably won’t last as long as the original, but for now it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Error 54 on dash would it run?   Error 54 on dash would it run? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Error 54 on dash would it run?
Page 1 of 1