GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Hello From the Keys

Go down 
+3
Gootzibird13
GuzziSteve
chrismfelt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

Hello From the Keys Empty
PostSubject: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:04 pm

Hello from Key West, FL. My name is Chris and I picked up a 07 GRiSO from a guy in AZ that had it under a rebuild title. I've owned bikes from Britain, Japan, The US, and now Italy. I'm in the Coast Guard and have a basic knowledge based of bikes. I bought this to learn more about them, have a fun project to work on, all while hoping to get it running so well that I can just fire her up and rip away down the street. I have some hurdles to get over first, previous owner doesn't seem to have done much maintenance, but overall the community seems pretty helpful regarding these interesting and beautiful machines.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:25 pm

Hey there, I'm north of you a bit. Why don't it run?
Back to top Go down
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:47 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
Hey there, I'm north of you a bit. Why don't it run?

I've been troubleshooting a stutter and die issue. If I manage to get it started and keep it above 3K RPM it'll run pretty fine. Anything below that and it just fights to die. It'll struggle, and knock around, and then finally die unless I just dump fuel into it.

Thus far I've cleaned and re-gapped the spark plugs, cleaned the dirty ass filter, filled the fuel tank to add some sea foam to it to clean out any nasty shit. I have a new battery on the way to see if that'll make a difference (it's rather old anyway) and I plan on doing my first ever (new to extensive self maintenance thanks to the keys) cylinder gap...check? I'll be following the guide that's on here to go through it. But I'll be taking it in strides. How far north are you from me? Hello!
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:43 pm

Throttle body problem perhaps, dirty filter is a good indicator especially if it was a KandN.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:10 pm

Gootzi makes a good point. Is it a K&N filter?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:06 pm

[quote="beetle"]
Gootzi makes a good point. Is it a K&N filter?No K&N. Looks like the original, but who knows. Think I'll try the throttle body since everyone seems to think so, never done it before, I'll be checking the forum to see if we can't figure out though
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:34 am

You'll need GuzziDiag or Scan5MX to reset the TPS as part of the throttle body balance. First to check is the throttle stop screw (sacred screw). If this screw has the paint messed up or broken, STOP. Do not do anything until you've notified us.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:18 am

Note the screw is slightly different on the 2 Valve bikes in that it doesn't have the captive nut that holds it, it is screwed through a cast in pillar that is part of the main throttlebody. Its function though is the same and I is obvious which one it is.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:40 am

welcome Chris - with any luck, you'll have a simple fix and can ride off into the sunset on the mighty GRiSO!
Back to top Go down
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:03 am

It's pretty hard to tell whether or not it's been messed with, I want to optimistically say it hasn't been, but I'm guessing the other bolts that I took a picture of for the air supply bleed lines? I've been digging through the owner's manual a lot but it doesn't have everything labeled that I'd like it

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:29 am

It is hard to tell whether it's been moved. Probably worth checking the Throttle value with GuzziDiag to see if it's out.

Air bleeds:

I've made a PDF of the TB balance procedure if you want to check it out. LINKY

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
chrismfelt
Carlotto
Carlotto
chrismfelt

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:22 am

You guys are all awesome! I'll be checking out all this stuff when I get back home, stuck on duty today unfortunately.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:04 am

Sadly I'd say that stop screw has been messed with. The paint as been dug out of the Allen key hole in the end, presumably so a key could be stuck in. Now if the TPS hasn't been re-calibrated it may be saveable. If it has been? Well, let's just say it's not good.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:15 am

" How far north are you from me? Hello!"

I'm closer to Athens, GA than I am to ATL. I was down to Tampa bout 5yrs ago to tune 3 Norges for a week at a friends.
Good advice here. I'd pull fuel pump plate & change fuel filter 1st. If the air filter is paper it's original, they will pass the most air & are the best.
Sacred screw would be 2nd photo down. The 1st photo is the high speed balance, the last one is on the TPS, which you adjust electronically with software.
Where are you in FL? The Keys are over 850 mi away.
We have a Rally up in GA mtns in 2 weeks on 22nd, lots of Guzzi's & riders.

Pete is correct, it does look messed with, no paint in the allen hole or on edge of screw. Like he said, fixable if not reset.

Bill Hagan and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
JonB85
Carlotto
Carlotto
JonB85

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:33 am

Welcome Chris! I'm the guy from reddit who was messaging back and forth with you. I hope you get the issues sorted out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From the Keys   Hello From the Keys Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Hello From the Keys
Page 1 of 1