GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

1100 known issues

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:12 pm

I did a search using the terms in my subject line, and it didn't return an overview sort of thread. So I'm asking here: If someone were to consider buying what APPEARS to be a well cared for '07 1100, what should they be wary of/look to see if addressed.

As a 1200 owner, I'm aware of most of the known concerns, are they the same for this vintage?

bearing grease where it outta be
Startus interuptus?
same issues surrounding throttle body/TPS set up etc?

I see that Beetle has a MAP available...

The reason I ask is that there is a gorgeous example on the block in the neighborhood, and a freind of mine, long time bonneville jockey, is considering it. I know a bit of the bikes provenance, but that owner passed away this spring, and it's being sold. Know one who KNOWS the bike is available. It's beautiful with Staintune exhaust, unique rear grab handles, anodized red foot pegs to match the bike, oil cooler cover, enough to show that a previous owner took a lot of pride and put effort into it, but no way of knowing what's under the skirt short of buying it. Things like the MPH kit can be eyeballed, If I know to look for it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:13 pm

Essentially the same issues as the 1200. Swingarm bearings and shock linkage grease, sump spacer gasket, (Although experience says this is less likely to be a problem on the 2V engine.).

The tuning protocols are exactly the same on all the CARC bikes with the exception of the Bellagio but the smaller throttlebodies on the 2V are not as susceptible to damage as the 50mm items on the 1200's. Just make sure the paint is intact on the stop screw and linkage ball joints. If it's missing off the bell crank balance screw that's fine.

While I haven't heard of it occurring with a GRiSO there was a run of failure prone oil pumps at the beginning of the change over to the trochoidal pump from the old spur gear one. The vast majority of bikes affected by that were early Norges but I do know of one Breva 1100 that had a pump fail too. By this age probably not worth worrying about unless this bike is a very low mileage example.

Apart from the front brake calipers the cycleparts are effectively identical between the 2V and 8V bikes. 2V gearboxes retained the input shaft face cam shock absorber used on earlier gearboxes, it was deleted for the 8V and then returned on the Cali 1400! Why? No idea! Well the Cali 14 doesn't have a bonded driveshaft so that might be it?? 2 Valvers also use the venerable twin plate clutch rather than the single plater used in later bikes.

Usual caveats. Run away if it's been 'Hotted up' by an idiot. Look out for Power Commanders, Fat Duc's, ATS foolers and other such dross, make sure it has two working keys or at least a known user code and it should be good to go. Oh, and get a pair of Valpolini rocker cover gaskets in case it hasn't already got them or it'll dribble oil on your boots at some point in the not too far distant future.

GhostBullet, lcjohnny and kidsmoke like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:07 pm

15,100 American miles on the odo. Fires and runs well. May go to see it soon to look at it closely, should my bud determine he is, in fact, a buyer.

Thanks Pete!
Back to top Go down
80CX100
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
80CX100

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:14 pm

Longtime lurker,but I saw that there might be some urgency to your post,so I've been drug out of the shadows into the limelight;

The many hoops & overwhelming adversarial bureaucracy I just waded through; gave Pete just enough time to get back from the loo & steal my thunder. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

The PO had already addressed the problematic speed sensor ? on the rear diff, on my 2007 GRiSO, but I know it caused him fits for a while,until he solved it. fwiw

Iirc ,hidden out of sight,under a small cover plate in the center on the left hand side of the rear wheel, there are big nuts/bolts ? that have been known to loosen;worth verifying before riding;if they haven't been tightened or lock tited & come loose while riding;very bad joo joo.

The main reason I jumped in due to the circumstances of the bike;

I'll reiterate what Pete stressed about getting info re user/owner codes etc & especially 2 original keys; when life throws curve balls at you,sh*t happens,including codes & keys going missing.

Sad to hear of a bike coming available this way, but it sounds like a beauty.

good luck

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:50 am

Oem oil sensor should be swapped for new version w/o the nailhead post, also exhaust midpipe/ pretzle prone to cracking my 07 did and so did Ed's ( x- Bill Hagen) 10 we both installed Agostini pipe. Startus interuptus kit installed properly don't use scotchlocks like mine had installed for previous owner the dealer that did should be stabbed in the face (thanks Beetle for that phrase ) I've been saying it alot lately but no knife talk allowed here. Also some fuel tanks swell from ethanol mines good but my old 15 did . These are things I would be aware as some things may or may not affect all

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:03 pm

I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
motografando
Carlotto
Carlotto
motografando

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:15 am

based on my low experience i would remark:
-fuel pipe inside the tank, that is prone to go out from the hose
-exhaust catalyst very prone to break the soldering point and go everywhere in the silencer
(also the exhaust gasket may vent, i put on mine some exhaust paste)
-on the lower triple clamp, the steerer stop block may crack very easily, for example by an off-of-the-stand fall).

In general you may check nut and bolts fastening quite often, like every italian bike Laughing

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://motografando.altervista.org/
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:56 am

And inspect the alternator belt. Just as a routine maintenance check mine failed but then again the bike was made in 2006 and my bad for not looking at it. P.O. only put 11k miles on it since new and I rode it for 10 k miles this year. I hate being stuck on an Interstate

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1100 known issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1100 known issues   1100 known issues Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

1100 known issues
Page 1 of 1