GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker

Go down 
+6
Kernow
Diablo Loco
Phang
jeremyb
tocino
wardest
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Empty
PostSubject: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:59 am

Every second start up of the GRiSO.
Warning indication on the dash. The right indicator/flasher/blinker inop. When checked the right hand front not operating as required , turn indicator flashing at double speed.

Either a few restarts later or ride the bike for 10 minutes and all warning indications disappear and the turn indicators operate as normal.
The lamps (nil visual fault ) have been changed several times and the defect returns.

Fairings removed and wiring connectors checked OK.

Has anybody else had a similar defect ???
Anybody have a clue how to fix it ?

My problem is I cant show anyone the defect confirmed to have it fixed under warrantee.
All the flasher can etc is in the instrument unit so no way of T/S

Anyone .... Your thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:25 am

Hmmm... the double speed thing is usually because a bulb is out - front flashing fast = back is out and vice versa. Assuming the bulbs are good any chance the bulb holder is bad or that the wire to it has broken at the solder or somewhere? Then you'd have an intermittent thing. The every second startup issue? Strange indeed. Maybe just chance?
Back to top Go down
jeremyb
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
jeremyb

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Mike,
Yup, I've had this on my '08. Hey - maybe it's a free 'Gremlin' I shipped in with the Hugger ???
Same symptoms, same side too....

Anyway, it turned-out to be the small white plastic turn-signal connector under the dash. There's one for each indicator, where the wires come out of the stalk, and they don't have 'locking' tabs on them !!
I removed the dash (a few tiny 3mm-or-so hex bolts) and unplugged it, and found the loose connector. I cleaned them thoroughly, then shrunk a big piece of shrink tubing over them to hold them tight. Fine ever since.

Hope it's that, cos as you say, the 'turn relay' is in the dash CPU ...

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:00 am

jeremyb wrote:
Hi Mike,
Yup, I've had this on my '08. Hey - maybe it's a free 'Gremlin' I shipped in with the Hugger ???

Anyway, it turned-out to be the small white plastic turn-signal connector under the dash. There's one for each indicator, where the wires come out of the stalk, and they don't have 'locking' tabs on them !!
I removed the dash (a few tiny 3mm-or-so hex bolts) and unplugged it, and found the loose connector. I cleaned them thoroughly, then shrunk a big piece of shrink tubing over them to hold them tight. Fine ever since.

Jeremy

Those are MOLEX two way connectors.

These are my GRiSO's rear turn signals. I re-crimped the cheapo ebay turn signals that came with bullet connectors to MOLEX.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Diablo Loco
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Diablo Loco

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Nothing worse than sitting on 160 for a distance and the red triangle comes on.

Nothing better than realising it is front LH turn signal warning Very Happy Very Happy

Fixed with a squeeze of the connector.
Back to top Go down
Kernow
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kernow

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm

jeremyb wrote:
Hi Mike,

Jeremy

An old thread but very useful. I had the exact same issue, thanks to a search on the forum and i have the answer. Incidentally the white connector was fully located and no apparent dirt on the male/female parts of the plug. I cleaned the pins closed the female part as much as i could and sprayed with contact cleaner, buttoned up and all is good.

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 am

I had the same issue on Sunday, but the culprit was an Kellermann LED indicator itself, the LEDs looked like dimmed near to completely dark.
Back to top Go down
tvboy
Biondino
Biondino
tvboy

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 am

I had a similar problem last year. All the bulbs worked normally but display said 'Left Turn Indicator warning' or something like that. I traced it to the Left Turn Signal Molex connector under the dash housing. I disconnected all the Molex connectors in that area and sprayed them with Deoxit. (The PO liked to ride in the rain and there was evidence of mild corrosion on some of the contacts.) I let them dry and reassembled everything. No problems since.
That bit about every other start-up is weird. scratch
Back to top Go down
Kernow
Carlotto
Carlotto
Kernow

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:51 am

Its strange, i though i left all the odd Italian electrics of the 70,s behind me. Nah the buggers tracked me down, still its not like the ,79 Ducati 900 i used to carry a can of WD 40 and a sarcastic smile on that sod. Mind looking at the prices now....i wish i had it now, Mad
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:53 pm

In my case it was also the rear connector below the seat that was loose / very easy to disconnect. Disconnected, squeezed the bigger one, reconnected. Warning gone
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:57 pm

The dash sends a tiny current (40 microamps) to each indicator, if the bulb or the wire is broken the path for the current is open and the dash throws up the lamp out alarm.
We had one owner here a while back complaining that his after-market LED bulbs were glowing dimly even with the key turned off, it turns out the 40 microamp current is always present and his LEDs were so sensitive it was enough to make them glow, the solution I suggested was to add a 1K Ohm resistor in parallel with each lamp.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:10 am

One resistor per side seems to be sufficient for correct blinking speed.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Pawel Spoon wrote:
One resistor per side seems to be sufficient for correct blinking speed.
I think you are referring to systems using a regular thermal type flasher, I think they use quite a large (physical size) 10 Ohm resistor to load up the flasher relay.
The 1K Ohm 1/4 Watt ones on the GRiSO are tiny they just have to hold the 40 microamp open filament signals down to below the alarm trigger level.
Most LEDs will work with the GRiSO dash, I think they must have the multi LEDs in parallel but the one I was referring to in my previous post were probably 4 LEDs in series
Its a very unusual situation the blinkers lighting up with the key off but I was able to reproduce it on my 07 1100.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker   Warning light R/H Forward Indicator /  Flasher / Blinker Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Warning light R/H Forward Indicator / Flasher / Blinker
Page 1 of 1