GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Front pads

Go down 
+2
Chris W
paulbrice
6 posters
AuthorMessage
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:23 am

Just taking the front wheel off today to start changing fork oil (maybe upgrade the fork inners to actually have some rebound that isn't completely damped out). I wasn't even thinking about front pads BUT looks like I maxed out use of this set which have lasted 15,000 miles [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm guessing EBC FA244 organic resin is still a good option ?? (That's what the old one's were)

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:58 am

DAMN!
you were a couple of stops away from trashing your rotors!!
I am using the EBH FA244HH on my fronts with no issues
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:48 am

Thanks Chris, I avoided HH first time to preserve disc life (discs are up to 10 times the price of pads roughly) but there's no threads saying HH eats them faster & plenty saying they brake better !
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:23 pm

After my rotors wore below MOT tolerance i fitted EBC Organic pads (with new rotors) and
Frankly my dear the brakes were still Damn Good!!

Almost no difference at all and, as you say, discs are spendy.. so i will avoid sintered unless necessary

Last edited by lcjohnny on Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

paulbrice and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:07 pm

Apologies if this is bleedin obvious but discovered a quick trick (that i haven't read anywhere at least) for undoing the fork cartridge lower bolt with forks in place........put the front axle back into the forks & tap it out (each side) enough to just allow 8mm hex socket to reach the bolt - stops the bottom section twisting while you undo bolt.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JohnA, lcjohnny, Clancy, Deepdive and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:19 am

Paul,
I must do way more riding without braking than you. I went to check my pads after seeing your post here. I must have more than half the original pads left at 29,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 am

JohnA wrote:
Paul,
I must do way more riding without braking than you. I went to check my pads after seeing your post here. I must have more than half the original pads left at 29,000 miles.

Crikey I was getting through fronts in 8,000 miles.
Rears i don't know seemed to last forever.

The first set of rears I wore away too fast because the brake pedal was too high for me so i was gently dragging the brake without noticing- i had to drop it 10mm
Back to top Go down
Andy C
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Andy C

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re. Pads and Braking...   Front pads  Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:58 am

JohnA wrote:
Paul,

Re. Braking and mileages – I think that’s just down to the difference between roads in the great south western expanses of the US, compared to the tight, congested and more intricate roads in the UK.  It’s never long before there’s a hill or a bend or a town or a village, whereas you guys have much bigger distances to clock up the miles without the need for brakes…. So yer pads last longer!!

paulbrice and Andy C like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:08 am

Thought I would add a question to Paul's thread.
When I was looking at my front pads and doing a proper inspection, it seems like the little pin that's circled in the picture was way to easy to remove and put back in. Seems like it should "click in" but really didn't. I've only removed them one other time in my 10 years of ownership. I ended up ordering new pins with the little "keys". GU01659130 from AF1. They were $26 USD per side.
Am I being my normally over paranoid in worrying about them?

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:15 am

@JohnA the pins are held in by the "R" clips.

The pins should move freely as soon as the "R" clip is removed - but usually they dont
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 am

The r clip is what doesn't seem secure at all, Jon. That's my worry.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:45 am

They ARE dead easy to remove (just need a small sharp pointy tool !), but once in place there isn't much that I can see could displace them - especially if you rotate them so they are 'hidden' under the shield. Since there isn't much lateral force on the pins, they aren't required to be strong either.

PS judging by the green dabs of paint on the bolts I'd agree you are 'normally paranoid'... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:27 pm

JohnA wrote:
The r clip is what doesn't seem secure at all, Jon. That's my worry.

If the R clip is not too big and has not been distorted it should gently click into place
as Paul says there is little force acting in a direction that might displace them

Easy to get new ones
Apparently they may be also be called spring Lynch  or hair pins  

JohnA likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:31 pm

You've all been warned about ridiculously long links. The one above has now been deleted.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:51 pm

sorry Mark - did not notice it was immense.

JohnA R or lynch spring clips are commonly available on Ebay
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:20 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments and help as always.
And by the way Paul, the paint on the bolts came about when the MG dealer put new tires on. At least I know the probably torqued them….. I would have preferred red paint…..kinda clashes with my paint scheme.

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front pads  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front pads    Front pads  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Front pads
Page 1 of 1