GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?

Go down 
+14
motor-timothy
Blue
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
b3177h
resom
pauldaytona
Camn
Uzidzit
Phang
peppeV10
DungeonMaster
Pete Roper
Mr Griso
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Empty
PostSubject: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:24 pm

What brake pads are you using?
I am still on my original pads and I like them. For me the brakes are progressive, ultimately powerful and no squealing. But the initial bite could be a bit better.

/Ron
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 pm

EBC 244(?)FF for the front are my choice. Double check the number as I'm going from memory but they are great pads.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 pm

How are they different from the original pads?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Different material, basically a softer compound I believe. More bite and greater feel.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Any squealing?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 pm

No, I purr like a kitten.....

Oh? The pads. No. Very Happy

Pete
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:57 pm

I JUST ranted and raved about putting on EBC 244HH in the front of my GRiSO and it was AWESOME.

Do it.

paulsb likes this post

Back to top Go down
peppeV10
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
peppeV10

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:08 am

I use SBS Street Excel. Total cost around 50 euro. IMHO are excellent brake pads
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:32 am

peppeV10 wrote:
I use SBS Street Excel. Total cost around 50 euro. IMHO are excellent brake pads

How do they compare to the original pads? Feel? Brake dusting? Have you noted any change in disc wear?

/Ron
Back to top Go down
peppeV10
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
peppeV10

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:47 am

Brake power increased. No abnormal consumption of brake discs. Used with satisfaction on Breva 1100 and GRiSO.

Last edited by peppeV10 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:52 am

Thanks Peppe :-)

/Ron
Back to top Go down
peppeV10
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
peppeV10

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:56 am

Thumbs Up 
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:12 am

I like EBC HH pads on my other bikes so much so I bought the EBC FA244HH before I took delivery of the GRiSO.

The original organic pad last the trip from the shop to my house, still laying on the shelves  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:02 am

Yeah!!!
I waited until my original pads wore out. What a dummy I was.

DM
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 am

Anyone tried the Brembo Performance Series pads p/n 07BB19.SC? The back plate is painted gray to distinguish them from the standard pads.

/Ron
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:26 am

Mr GRiSO wrote:
Anyone tried the Brembo Performance Series pads p/n 07BB19.SC? The back plate is painted gray to distinguish them from the standard pads.

/Ron

Yes a good pad but they require being very aggressive with them they shed heat quickly, good for the track not really good on the street
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 am

I'll do a thing on how to change pad or maker compound types, and how to maintence the brake system

I WOULD NEVER mount any EBC pad other than organic, on a brembo or Grimeca rotor EVER their HH pads totally fucking destroy these rotors, as they do suzuki oem rotors
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:25 am

What constitutes a good brake pad for me is one that is linear and easy to modulate. A pad that behaves  as much as possible in the same way during light to heavy braking when cold or hot. Confidence inspiring if you will.

I find squealing brakes totally unacceptable, but some increase in brake dusting is ok. It's all a compromise but I don't do track days with the GRiSO so that makes it somewhat less of a compromise. Peppe has put Street Excel's to good use and then there are the Brembo SC and SA options not to mention all the other brands. So many options and everybody makes the "best" pad Rolling Eyes 

/Ron
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:46 am

Linear and easy to modulate, the oem pags are good in this, for these qualities actually the organics are a good choice (or carbon pads) the organic pads have a bit less inital cold bite than the HH pads but also generally fade less as well when you have to be on them a long time, they also have a little more linear feel...and are way easier on rotors.

Try Galfer HH pads, or Brembo/Ferodo HH or Carbon pads, EBC Greens , or ebc FA s...

Using any thing other than brembo/ferodo hh will require de-contaminating, and scuffing the rotors, and re-bedding which is a 3-4hrs worth of work.

shitty wet weather cold weather also favor organic rather than HH pads, organics bite better wet and ice cold, and seem to cause less corrosion to the rotor surface when parked damp
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks Uzidzit,

having considered the options I will most likely go for Carbon pads.

BTW I did not know that the Tennessee weather was that bad  Very Happy 

/Ron
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 pm

we are very wet in the mountains, and I ride all year round. we have 3 months of reasonable winter, I was actually thinking of Sweden When I visited there about 20 years back I remember the weather as being not very much fun. The carbon pads are always quiet btw they give off a nice hiss and do not squeal,

Just clean the rotors with some 150 grit aluminium oxide paper (on both sides) on the friction surface, do this in small circles they should have a texture to them this cleaning is critical whenever you change pad compounds, good time to clean and lubricate the bobbins as well. If you spend less than about 15 -20min per rotor surface by hand cleaning it is not clean enough. The old pad material actually imbeds into the grain structure of the rotor a bit and this needs to come off.

good excuse to scrub the calipers with a ph neutral liquid soap, and tooth brush, then hit the caliper with some silicone spray when it is dry(lightly), then mist some copper antisieze on both sides of the anti rattle shims, and the back of the pads, AND BRUSH some around the exposed parts of the pistons, clean and grease all the slider pins and put back together bleed through new fluid.

this makes cleaning and maintenece next time a snap, just make damn sure to clean the caliper before pushing the pistons in, the ph neutral washing up liquid will leave behind a little soap that makes a great lube and preservative for the caliper seals....

Evilgarfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Very informative, thanks for making the effort to explain Uzidzit. One question: You mention that one should actually lube the bobbins after cleaning. Even if you wipe off excess lube carefully, there should be some risk of oil or grease migrating to the rotors during riding?

/Ron
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:07 pm

My EBC HH's were very hard effort when I first installed them.
I got my bike tuned up ( including brake bleed) a few days later and they feel more progressive now.

DM
Back to top Go down
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:19 pm

for bobbin lube use a teflon based lube that evaporates 100% or better yet use the graphite lube for lockes it is very very fine graphite powder in a 100% volatile carrier that way there is no liquid residue that slings onto the disk. I really like a product called jigaloo graphite best I have found

we used this to lube control rod carrier screws in reactors
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

apply to the bobbins spin them and let the carrier evaporate, do this after they are cleaned with a brake or contact cleaner.

this stuff is also an amazing anti seize material, for stainless steel in applications where there can be no grease residue
Back to top Go down
Camn
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Camn

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:50 am

Hello Grisoghetto,

I’ve been following this site for some time because of GuzziDiag (I was introducing it to Finland back in 2012 - I mostly follow what “Beetle” and “P.Roper” are writing in the field of GuzziDiag, TunerPro, maps etc.). I have a V11 Scura (flashable Marelli 15M ecu) myself.

I am just changing the discs and pads. The same Brembo Serie Oro Floating Disc 78.B408.70 is used on many different bikes (GRiSO, 1200Sport, Breva, V11, 1100Cali, 1100Sport, etc.).  When used on GRiSO, Brembo site suggests for GRiSO as pads for this disc “Road Carbon Ceramic 07BB19.07”.  But for the same disc (78.B408.70), when used on different Aprilia RSV models, the pads suggestion is “Genuine Sinter 07BB05.90 (developed as OEM equipment)”. As original spare parts: Brembo 07BB05.SA Sintered.

Same Disc –different pad in use depending if the disc is on Guzzi or Aprilia  Shocked

Last edited by Camn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?   Original or aftermarket Brake Pads? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Original or aftermarket Brake Pads?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next