GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Cast Wheels

Go down 
+5
Pete Roper
paulbrice
Lazlokovacs
JC_Guz89
Speedfrog
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:44 am

I'd like to get a set of cast wheels for the 1200 SE and looking at what's out there has raised some questions on compatibility.

I have found a couple of decent front ones for sale, both with the same markings - Moto Guzzi 05 61 03 30 / Brembo 30.2274-1 - but it appears from the pictures that they have different castings of the hub flanges where the brake disks are mounted. In both cases it is not specified exactly what model they come from.
The GRiSO 8V 1200 cast front wheel has p/n 05610530
I scoured all the CARC bikes parts catalogs I could find and didn't see a single front wheel with the p/n 05610330 so I don't know if any of these would fit.

I know from reading past threads that the cast wheels require a different axle & spacer than the wire spoked ones. My main concern is about the rotors having the proper spacing.

I'd welcome any insight to shed a light on these dissimilarities.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:09 am

I have both cast and spoked wheels for my 1200SE.
I can photograph all markings/part numbers later today for you if it would help in any way?

My understanding is that the rotor bolt spacing never changed, it's the same between wavy and plain rotors across the years. Someone else may be better placed to advise on this though.
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:34 am

Thanks JC, pictures of the markings on your wheel might help.
It’s not the rotors bolt spacing I’m concerned about as much as the spacing between the two rotors.
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:18 am

I realised what you meant by rotor spacing after I hit the 'send' button Laughing

I believe the hub widths are the same, it's only the spacer that offsets the wheel on the axle, depending on if it's the cast or spoked version.

A quick look on google suggests the 05610330 might be from a Breva 750?
Back to top Go down
Lazlokovacs
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Lazlokovacs

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:27 am

watching with interest as I would also like to swap my spoked wheels for cast at some point....

somebody out there might be interested in swapping the other way around?

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:02 pm

JC_Guz89 wrote:
A quick look on google suggests the 05610330 might be from a Breva 750?

Isn’t the Breva 750 a single rotor front brake?
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Does anybody know why two wheels with the same cast markings have different hub flange castings? As in the pictures posted above. scratch
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:11 pm

Yup, I was wrong about the Breva idea then.

Maybe it's just revised/updated tooling at the casting company. Or Brembo were dual sourcing from two casting suppliers?
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 pm

JC, have you had a chance to look at your cast front wheel markings by any chance?

Or can anyone with cast wheels on hand confirm the 05610330 p/n ??
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:51 pm

Right, just checked my cast wheel in the garage.
Turns out I have a 05610330. It's not marked Brembo, but does say 'made in China'.
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:57 pm

lcjohnny and Speedfrog like this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:47 pm

I bought mine (switched from wired) ages ago & got front from US very cheap altjough it's an odd grey colour - but even that has that p/n !!!

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 pm

Thanks JC for taking the time to check and post!

I was aware of the ZVC brand chinese made wheels as listed in parts catalog for GRiSO 8V 1200 2007-2013 under p/n 883883. Most likely a Brembo manufacturing plant/partner.

I have a feeling that p/n 05610330 is the generic number as I couldn't find it listed in any CARC models parts catalogs, with all other p/n variations having to do with color/finish.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:54 pm

The cast wheels are basically all the same but there may be a difference in the width of the hubs depending on whether they came off a GRiSO, which uses the Showa forks or another model like a Sport, Breva or Norge that use the Marzocchis. I actually have a set of Norge wheels I was gifted sitting in the shed at home and measuring the width of the disc mounting surfaces is something I've been meaning to do for a while so this will give me an excuse to pull my finger out and actually do it!

I'm away from home this weekend but feel free to nag me next week as I have a memory like a goldfish and I'll measure.

Back wheels are all the same.

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:10 pm

Pete, getting a measurement of the Norge wheels would be helpful as the front wheel I’m looking at apparently comes from a Norge 1200 . . .
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:43 am

To the best of my abilities, I had measured ~121mm between the brake disks mounting surfaces (hub width) on a GRiSO wire-spoked front wheel. Not easy to get an absolute precise measurement with the wheel mounted and the rotors installed. . . No
Pete found a similar dimension - 121mm - when he measured the Norge front wheel he has in the shed and reported so in a new thread.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So it would be reasonable to think that the disks spacing is consistent throughout the CARC range, regardless of the different type of forks that came with specific models.

I have a front wheel on the way to me, allegedly from a Norge as well, and I will double check those dimensions with the wheels side by side when it gets here.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:14 am

Speedfrog wrote:
To the best of my abilities, I had measured ~121mm between the brake disks mounting surfaces (hub width) on a GRiSO wire-spoked front wheel. Not easy to get an absolute precise measurement with the wheel mounted and the rotors installed. . . No
Pete found a similar dimension - 121mm - when he measured the Norge front wheel he has in the shed and reported so in a new thread.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
So it would be reasonable to think that the disks spacing is consistent throughout the CARC range, regardless of the different type of forks that came with specific models.

I have a front wheel on the way to me, allegedly from a Norge as well, and I will double check those dimensions with the wheels side by side when it gets here.

I had recently gone from spoked se wheels to cast from a Breva front wheel. It required new Axl and spacer and a shim of 2.5mm I believe on right side between hub surface and rotor. The right hand rotor rubbed against inner caliper enough to scratch disc while rotating. It was difficult to fix this....
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 am

And I just confirmed my cast wheels are actually Brembos made in Italy not Chineseium....keep in mind the tolerances of where the rotor tracks between the caliper have to be the same on both sides of the inner and outer to be effective and safe.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am

love the cast wheels. One of the reasons I sought an older rollerized 8V.
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am

I love them too. It's also nice not loosing any air.

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jankes
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Jankes

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:23 am

If someone likes cast wheels, that's up to them, but the appearance and craftsmanship of such a wheel compared to a cast one is the same as the GRiSO model compared to Zontes, but that's my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
Wishmoor
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Wishmoor

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:01 am

Lazlokovacs wrote:
watching with interest as I would also like to swap my spoked wheels for cast at some point....

somebody out there might be interested in swapping the other way around?

I would like to swap. But i’m located in the Netherlands!
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 am

Gootzibird13 wrote:
I love them too. It's also nice not loosing any air.

agreed. Even with temp swings from -25c to 45c, they stay stable. And easy to clean.
Back to top Go down
JC_Guz89
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
JC_Guz89

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:12 am

I sealed my spoked wheels with some adhesive inside the rims at the nipples, and then a band of 3M sealant tape.
No pressure losses over the 9 months since doing so.
You're right about the cast wheels being easier to clean though 😆

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jankes
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Jankes

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:56 pm

And it's great. Wise and enterprising people will cope with all adversities, because you will always find a way to everything, and rims with even dirty spokes are a hundred times nicer than these aluminum ones, especially for Grisso, because e.g. the V100 already has quite nice rims, even though they are cast! But there is no accounting for taste, apparently. Let everyone like what they like the most 😉
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cast Wheels Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cast Wheels   Cast Wheels Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Cast Wheels
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next