GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Crash bars / Engine protectors....

Go down 
+32
cognosticator
sideshowbob
george5421
Guzzi Cat
motor-timothy
paulbrice
DeepSpace
Oz1200Guzzi
Ad B
guzziownr
Weißgerät
Lemppari
H-E-ROSS
Pete Roper
beetle
Papa Lazarou
Omnis
wardest
rboe
tocino
Grisonut
mark111
Triman023
Slo_Mo_Shun
wallycycle
Phang
Grisodude
TalkingGriso
NorthBayGriso
Uzidzit
Steak
jollyjeweller
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 am

Having towed all manor of bikes I can tell you many a crash bar/oggy knob has caused more damage that what it saved. Namely major frame damage and the bike listed a statutory write-off.

Suppose it all depends on the bike, the crash protection and the incident.
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 am

I set my GRiSO down easy yesterday in some loose gravel. Managed to scratch the paint on my Stucchi crash bars! Note to self: do not stop with bars turned on loose gravel.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:10 am

When we did the South Australia trip I managed to pull off the tar onto some very slippery clay and immediately throw my old shitter on its side! Oh how people laughed! Very Happy At least it was nice and soft so I didn't break anything. It was a complete bastard to pick up though!

Pete
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:03 pm

I had that moment when I assessed how badly I was going to hurt myself keeping it upright. Luckily no one was around to laugh at me; I might have pulled something trying to make the save. And yes picking it back up is no small chore! Good to know you can manage it though.
Back to top Go down
Lemppari
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Lemppari

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 am

MIne came with the Stucchi bars, but as they are seriously hampering maintenance, I took them away.
Back to top Go down
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:42 pm

I tipped over on the right side one year ago, no speed, really stupid situation.
Valve cover punctured, oil spewing out so GRiSO grounded for several weeks until new cover arrives from Italy (first attempt wrong cover, they got it right on second try)

I don't mind scratches on the covers, but I do mind getting grounded, particularily if on a trip.
So I'm thinking of fitting head guards- still only Stucchi and H&B available??Exclamation Question

Joe Kenny made lovely head guards for the old motors, hasn't he made anything for the 1200 motors?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:33 pm

No way to safely add any protection to the heads themselves. Insufficient mounting points. Only real option is crash bars and most of those mount in ways that risk serious case damage in the event of a spill.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
No way to safely add any protection to the heads themselves. Insufficient mounting points. Only real option is crash bars and most of those mount in ways that risk serious case damage in the event of a spill.

Pete

which begs the question-which h ones don't cause serious damage?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Well the old Stucchi ones were probably the least likely to. But they were also probably the least likely to offer much n the way of *Protection*. They also are a colossal pain in the arse for service and tuning as well as making the bike look like a badly plumbed soviet bathroom.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:32 pm

They look awesome Pete, what's wrong with you?  Razz Laughing cheers affraid cheers

You can hardly tell they're there...    Cool

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Ok, point taken!
Got to rethink, maybe drop the head protection completely.
The intention was good.....

Back to top Go down
Weißgerät
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Weißgerät

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Beetle, those are the Stucchis for the 8V?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Yes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Are the Stucci head protectors back in stock or did you have them on the shelf
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Technically, they're LGC. I got mine from Gutsibits.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:37 pm

LGC is the successor to Stucci Luigi and owner of the Stucci name. I am surprised the are bothering with the new branding.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:50 am

I had first generation Stucchis on my '09 but didn't crash test them. They were tight to the heads and had to be loosened for valve checks.

Generation 2 is what is shown above. You can take off the valve covers now but torquing the front engine bolts is a question mark.

Beetle?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Torquing the engine bolts requires a ball hex socket. This means your torque value will not be 100% correct, but the rule of thumb is up to 15 degrees can be discounted. My torque wrenches are in in-lbs, so when converting from Nm, I always have to go slightly higher anyway.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Ad B
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Ad B

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 am

Hi,

5,5 years back I threw my G12 on its right side (wíth Stucchis...)...  pig
I had a protector on the CARC, but that bend a bit inside an the housing got scratched too, damn.
It was nothing that much, but scratches at several places.
My valve covers stayed okay, so also no damage inside where the covers are attached with its 4 M6 screws.
New Stucchis and a new CARC protector on which I made two plastics between the CARC and the front of the bar, so it won't bend inside that easily.
Better a bar scratched as my bike.  Cool

Ad B
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 am

Good review there. I have the CARC protector ready to fit and will get head protectors...as soon as LGC make some more.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 am

Good review there. I have the CARC protector ready to fit and will get head protectors...as soon as LGC make some more.
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:46 pm

beetle wrote:
Torquing the engine bolts requires a ball hex socket. This means your torque value will not be 100% correct, but the rule of thumb is up to 15 degrees can be discounted. My torque wrenches are in in-lbs, so when converting from Nm, I always have to go slightly higher anyway.

Thanks, I had to Google that.  Is this the right one?

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Can't see pic.

scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:11 pm

beetle wrote:
Can't see pic.    
scratch
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Nope. Still not seeing anything.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crash bars / Engine protectors....   Crash bars / Engine protectors.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Crash bars / Engine protectors....
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next