GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gear box oil

Go down 
+4
Steak
WCB
Pete Roper
WAKEY
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
WAKEY

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 am

G,day fellows, last week i changed my gearbox oil from from i don't know what brand was in it, but it was the same colour as the oil i put in my drive shalft, pensoil which the pensoil chart tells me to use and i put pensoil pro gear in the gear box which is as thin as water, anyway when i went for a ride today i wasn't as happy with the pro gear and neither was the bike as the oil that was in it, i could hear every change, the bike is an 06 model, iam just wondering what you guys are useing in your gear box and drive shalft, any help much appreciated.
Wakey.
Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:30 am

Penrite 75/90 full synth. Look, as long as it is a decent gear oil of around the right viscosity it will be fine. The viscosity per-se should make little difference to how the box changes.

Pete
Back to top Go down
WAKEY
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
WAKEY

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: gear oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks Peter, yes it was Penrite pro gear 75/90 i used not penzzoil i always get those two mixed up mate, it may have been my imagination today, it may have been the last owner had about 300 ml to much in there and it was smothing out the change, he must have put the oil in with it on the side stand and didn't get the bike straight up and down, anyhow iam on the right track now and its running beautiful, i still can't believe how nice a bike they are to ride, and how satisfied i am after a good Run on it, anyhow mate thanks for the imfo, and have a great Chrismas Pete. And every body eles on here Merry Christmas.

Wakey.

Back to top Go down
http://sw57@bigpond.com
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 am

Hey Pete, in the modern bikes (GRiSO/Stelvio) I've been using the same oil I use in my older Guzzi's which is the Redline Shockproof Heavy.

It's properties are: Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90

In your opinion, is this okay for the new bevel and tranny? I've never noticed any ill effect but will change it if you think I could do damage using an oil of this grade.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 am

If it works for you? Stick with it. One thing to remember is that the vast majority of the bearings in the gearbox are 2RS types. Sealed and filled with grease like say wheel bearings. What oil you use is irrelevant for them.

The bevelbox gears have such huge teeth that loadings won't be huge compared to some earlier designs but you don't want to use too high a viscosity oil as it may starve the pinion nose bearing of oil. There was a thread about this on WG a couple of days ago.

Pete
Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Awesome. Great info. I'll use the Shockproof Light then which more closely Guzzi specs which are:

Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:55 pm

From pink to blue...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
jaycain
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jaycain

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:33 pm

… and someone figured out a way to improve the gear oil bottle
Back to top Go down
jaycain
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
jaycain

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:50 pm

I've got some Swepco 201 Magic Juice left over from my 912 tranny fill. It is 80/90. I probably have enough for the final drives, maybe one transmission on the Norge or GRiSO. What is the CARC capacity for final drive and transmission? I'd like to put the stuff to work.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 pm

385ml I think.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am

Just a thought but isn’t the correct oil for the gearbox a GL4?
Swepco 201 is a GL5.
MG don’t always help the end user - they specified a GL5 for the bevel drive.
Back to top Go down
davem
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
davem

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 pm

WCB wrote:
Hey Pete, in the modern bikes (GRiSO/Stelvio) I've been using the same oil I use in my older Guzzi's which is the Redline Shockproof Heavy.

It's properties are: Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90

In your opinion, is this okay for the new bevel and tranny? I've never noticed any ill effect but will change it if you think I could do damage using an oil of this grade.

I used this oil on a Breva 1200 for 15,000 miles with no ill effects and will be putting it in the GRiSO when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
eeyore
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eeyore

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm

eeyore wrote:
Just a thought but isn’t the correct oil for the gearbox a GL4?
Swepco 201 is a GL5.
MG don’t always help the end user - they specified a GL5 for the bevel drive.

Sorry but I think I got this the wrong way around.
The manual specs a 85/90 GL5 for the gearbox and 80/90 GL4 for the bevel drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gear box oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear box oil   Gear box oil Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gear box oil
Page 1 of 1